US Airways Awarded New London Heathrow Route CLT-LHR

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-airways-awarded-london-heathrow-190000401.html

TEMPE, Ariz., Nov. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- US Airways (LCC:NYSE) today announced it has been awarded operating slots to inaugurate daily, non-stop service between its Charlotte, N.C. hub and London's preferred business airport, Heathrow, beginning in March 2013.

Interesting that the press release does not address the fate of the existing CLT-LGW service. Also, will CLT-LHR service use an A330-200 or A330-300?

It would appear that this is a temporary slot from AA (MIA-LHR) that US obtained, and therefore must operate as MIA-CLT-LHR. US commented that they haven't decided what to do about LGW. I guess that depends if they can get the CLT-LHR route year round.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...rlotte-service

The other question is..does this route requirement (to start in MIA) also require it be same equipment or can it be a single flight number, with change of planes in CLT (i.e. from an E190 to an A330)?

It would appear that this is a temporary slot from AA (MIA-LHR) that US obtained,

Why does it appear that way to you? I don't see anything in the article you cited that alludes to anything temporary or anything American. It says US Airways was awarded the LHR slots.

Perhaps AA wants to drop it, and the British authorities want to keep the MIA service, so US Airways is filling in the blank via CLT.

Where does it say the slot is seasonal?

Very doubtful you will see a 330 between MIA and CLT. I don't think US Airways would have taken the slot if that were a condition of the authority. US doesn't have the OD nor the feed in MIA to make the leg to/from CLT profitable.

LGW will be a great 757 route. Everyone loves that airplane on transatlantic routes.

Everyone loves the 757 on transatlantic routes? Sure. Nothing like being stuck in a single aisle narrow-body with a 3-3 configuration for 7+ hours.

It seems unlikely that CLT-LGW will continue of CLT-LHR is for real. What would be the point? While I don't have anything against LGW, it's lousy for connections to other countries using *Alliance carriers.

I suspect that MIA-CLT-LHR will be like LAX-PHL-TLV, different equipment using the same flight #. No point in running an A330 on the CLT-MIA route.

Everyone loves the 757 on transatlantic routes? Sure. Nothing like being stuck in a single aisle narrow-body with a 3-3 configuration for 7+ hours.

It seems unlikely that CLT-LGW will continue of CLT-LHR is for real. What would be the point? While I don't have anything against LGW, it's lousy for connections to other countries using *Alliance carriers.

I suspect that MIA-CLT-LHR will be like LAX-PHL-TLV, different equipment using the same flight #. No point in running an A330 on the CLT-MIA route.
CLT- LGW will continue , slot allocation in the UK is highley restrictive, LGW although a secondary LONDON hub is very lucrative that slot was selectively awarded, and paid for this is an "ADDITIONAL" UK slot allocation!

Many flts internationally operate the same FLT # only to transfer to bigger equipment on tha transoceanic point of their departure ie PHL, CLT, ! LGW is a great destination airport and for some as you mentioned non-star alliance carriers! or SWA types! RYANAIR ETC!

Why does it appear that way to you? I don't see anything in the article you cited that alludes to anything temporary or anything American. It says US Airways was awarded the LHR slots.

There are rumours that this slot is the MIA-LHR slot that BA/AA were forced by the EU to make available for MIA-LHR nonstop service as a condition of their antitrust immunity application two years ago. DL grabbed the MIA slot (plus the two that BA/AA were forced to provide in BOS) and gave it a go. After driving down MIA-LHR fares for a year, DL gave up. DL has also given back one of the BOS slots as well.

Perhaps AA wants to drop it, and the British authorities want to keep the MIA service, so US Airways is filling in the blank via CLT.

Nope. AA isn't giving up anything. BA is providing these slots from its inventory and leasing them to US. Apparently, US petitioned the EU to allow it to fly a one-stop via CLT instead of the nonstop MIA-LHR as required in the ATI approval.

Where does it say the slot is seasonal?

Very doubtful you will see a 330 between MIA and CLT. I don't think US Airways would have taken the slot if that were a condition of the authority. US doesn't have the OD nor the feed in MIA to make the leg to/from CLT profitable.

I don't think it's seasonal, but BA/AA don't have to provide the slots for more than 2 or 3 years, and that runs out sometime next year.

MAH4546 posted elsewhere that he thought that the approval from the EU requires same-plane service as a condition of the one-stop approval. If he's right. that will be one empty A330 between MIA and CLT every day. NRSA heaven.

Reactions: 1 person
There are rumours that this slot is the MIA-LHR slot that BA/AA were forced by the EU to make available for MIA-LHR nonstop service as a condition of their antitrust immunity application two years ago. DL grabbed the MIA slot (plus the two that BA/AA were forced to provide in BOS) and gave it a go. After driving down MIA-LHR fares for a year, DL gave up. DL has also given back one of the BOS slots as well.

Nope. AA isn't giving up anything. BA is providing these slots from its inventory and leasing them to US. Apparently, US petitioned the EU to allow it to fly a one-stop via CLT instead of the nonstop MIA-LHR as required in the ATI approval.

I don't think it's seasonal, but BA/AA don't have to provide the slots for more than 2 or 3 years, and that runs out sometime next year.

MAH4546 posted elsewhere that he thought that the approval from the EU requires same-plane service as a condition of the one-stop approval. If he's right. that will be one empty A330 between MIA and CLT every day. NRSA heaven.

Here is what the article said: "US Airways (LCC:NYSE) today announced it has been awarded operating slots to inaugurate daily, non-stop service between its Charlotte, N.C. hub and London's preferred business airport, Heathrow, beginning in March 2013. US Airways will operate the service between Charlotte and London Heathrow with Airbus A330 aircraft that features Envoy, the airline's international business class."

No where is US Airways required to use a 330 from MIA to CLT (or required to even fly MIA-CLT). US Airways can use a E190 with the same flight number from MIA to CLT and make everyone change planes. They do that in PHL and CLT many times for other international flights....I've flown several of them on both domestic and international flights. I do not believe the bi-lateral agreements specify equipment.

Awarded means awarded. It says nothing about "leasing" or otherwise.

Reactions: 1 person
You may be right, and most of us would hope you are. But there are a lot of questions over at FlterTalk about where US was able to get a LHR slot operated nonstop from CLT when they are not really available except at the worst possible hours of the day...unless you get it from someone else. Doug and his gang could have spun that press release to be stating 'truth', but hiding other facts.

It has been "awarded slots" to operate "non-stop service" between CLT and LHR. That much is true. It doesn't elaborate where it got the slots, nor do they state that the slots are for MIA-LHR and they got an exemption to do MIA-CLT-LHR. But that's also possible. The press release would still be true, from a technical standpoint.

I guess we'll know shortly when the schedules get loaded. Meanwhile, maybe someone should raise the question at the next employee town hall meeting....