Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
Visit site
US Airways' 'bigger' cutover problem was complexity of closing flights

ATW Daily News

Tuesday March 27, 2007

News from Travel Technology Update:

The merging of the US Airways and America West reservations systems got a lot of attention because of the check-in problems that resulted in long lines at Philadelphia and Charlotte, but the "larger issue was the processing for closing a flight," US Airways president Scott Kirby said.

Kirby told analysts at the JPMorgan Aviation and Transportation Conference that "we had made it needlessly complex to close a flight," a process that involves tallying passengers and bags and collecting other data before an aircraft can push back from the gate.

That compounded the problems that resulted from differences in the way the merged carriers' systems had handled changes in electronic tickets.

The cutover, which moved the original US Airways onto the reservations platform used by America West, took place in the early morning of March 4.

The former US Airways system allowed customers to make changes to their e-tickets and reconcile the changes after the fact in revenue accounting.

The America West system was designed to reconcile the changes on the spot.

That meant that the merged carrier's e-tickets were "out of sync," Kirby said. "Web check-in didn't work and the kiosks wouldn't work. Agents had to manually work each one of passenger records."

Worse yet, when flights were closed incorrectly, the e-ticket of every passenger on every affected flight was out of sync as well, he said.

Now that the worst is over, "it is much easier to deal with us now because we no longer have the negatives and difficulties associated with having two different reservations systems," Kirby said.

Among the visible pluses for customers are new functionality for Web check-in and auto-upgrades.

Previously, US Airways customers had to call to get on upgrade list, and "we had a clunky process on the former America West side," Kirby said.

"We've gotten positive feedback from our Elite customers on this.We feel good about where we are today."

http://atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=8353

Lying sack of crap (I say that with all due respect, of course). I want to meet the elite customers who provided positive feedback so I can sell them something or smack them with their kool-aide pitcher......

Lying sack of crap (I say that with all due respect, of course). I want to meet the elite customers who provided positive feedback so I can sell them something or smack them with their kool-aide pitcher......

I think the customer was positive that US Airways finally responded to an issue, we still think they are idiots who dislike us elites with more disdain than I can verbalize... but I do like the front-facing employees... the management team here in Tempe are the issue!

I'm sure they don't know that MILLIONS of high yield flyers are ready to bolt.
They do know but refuse to report what is going on, believe me! Had one reporter say to me...."That's not what your management said". OH GOD! We have tried to get the truth out, but if the airline does heavy advertising in such papers as The Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Philadelphia Inquirer, Charlotte Observer etc., the papers are afraid to loose the advertising revenues.

They do know but refuse to report what is going on, believe me! Had one reporter say to me...."That's not what your management said". OH GOD! We have tried to get the truth out, but if the airline does heavy advertising in such papers as The Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Philadelphia Inquirer, Charlotte Observer etc., the papers are afraid to loose the advertising revenues.
The airline doesn't advertise. That's why the media mauls them every chance they get.

"We've gotten positive feedback from our Elite customers on this.We feel good about where we are today."

Um... can someone find me one Elite who's given them "positive feedback" on any of this horsehockey?

Bob and Art will confirm this, but the survey we just took of the FFOCUS membership refutes this statement.