700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Press Release Source: US Airways

US Airways Boosts Capacity in Washington, D.C. Area
Wednesday July 28, 12:01 pm ET
Brings Larger Jet Aircraft to Five Routes

ARLINGTON, Va., July 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways will increase its capacity by up to 90 percent to five destinations from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport this fall, with the resumption of mainline roundtrip service to both Buffalo and Syracuse, N.Y., Indianapolis, and Manchester, N.H., as well as first-time mainline service between Reagan National and Columbus, Ohio, all beginning Sept. 8, 2004.

We take yet another step forward with the implementation of US Airways' Transformation Plan by upgrading these important markets with dual-class mainline aircraft," said Andrew P. Nocella, US Airways vice president of network and revenue management. "Lower fares are stimulating our business to the point that the smaller aircraft are no longer the optimal choice in these markets."

US Airways will upgrade one of its five daily Washington-Columbus roundtrip flights from 50-seat regional jet (RJ) service to 737 service, adding 30 percent more seats and bringing mainline service to Columbus for the first time.

All three daily Washington-Buffalo flights will be upgraded from 50- and 72-seat RJ service to mainline service, flown using 120-seat Airbus A319 and 126-seat Boeing 737-300 aircraft and representing a 90 percent capacity increase in the market.

Between Washington and Syracuse, US Airways currently operates one 72-seat RJ and four 37-seat Dash-8 turboprop aircraft. Beginning in August, two turboprop flights will upgrade to 50-seat RJ service, and in September, one of the new RJ flights will be upgraded to 737 service, a 38 percent increase in seat availability from today's schedule.

Washington-Indianapolis service will shift from five daily 50-seat RJ flights to four-times daily service, with three 737s and one 50-seat RJ. The new schedule will offer customers 71 percent more seating capacity than previously had been available.

One daily outbound Washington-Manchester flight will be added to the three existing roundtrip flights, and will be operated using a 72-seat RJ. The current service is operated using 50-seat RJs, and one flight will be upgraded to 737 service, resulting in an overall seat capacity increase of 75 percent.

US Airways is Washington's hometown carrier and the largest flight operator at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, with nearly 180 daily departures to 46 nonstop destinations. The airline is also Arlington County's second largest employer with 1,988 employees. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and the US Airways Express partner carriers operate over 3,300 flights per day to nearly 200 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. For more information on US Airways flight schedules and fares, contact US Airways online at usairways.com, or call US Airways Reservations at 1-800-428-4322.

700UW said:
Press Release Source: US Airways

as well as first-time mainline service between Reagan National and Columbus, Ohio, all beginning Sept. 8, 2004.

US Airways will upgrade one of its five daily Washington-Columbus roundtrip flights from 50-seat regional jet (RJ) service to 737 service, adding 30 percent more seats and bringing mainline service to Columbus for the first time.

Obviously a newbie with no history at US wrote the press release or they are using an * arbitrary date * as the cut off for "first -time" mainline service. Back in 90-92 when I worked in DC, we had 3 or 4 MAINLINE Dc9/Fokker/737/MD80 service between DC and CMH a day. Maybe they just forgot? Or it sounds better to ADD NEW NEVER BEFORE FLOWN service to a press release? Its things like this though that make you go, hmmmmm. :unsure:

On the other hand, the news itself is good. :up:

The way they like to play with words, much in the manner of a former President, my guess would be they would claim that back then the service was from Washington National airport, and now it is from Washington Reagan National airport.

With the rotation of additional mainline jets into DCA, I would venture to say that you're going to see some new routings with the ERJ-170. BUF currently has two which will go mainline. SYR has one. I'm gonna guess a couple of those would probably go to RDU which is all 50 seater and one Dash-8.

On another note, I've noticed that WN is dropping 2 of their 7 BWI-ORF flights. Maybe US could give an alternate to their 1000x prop service to ORF.

tadjr said:
Obviously a newbie with no history at US wrote the press release or they are using an * arbitrary date * as the cut off for "first -time" mainline service. Back in 90-92 when I worked in DC, we had 3 or 4 MAINLINE Dc9/Fokker/737/MD80 service between DC and CMH a day. Maybe they just forgot? Or it sounds better to ADD NEW NEVER BEFORE FLOWN service to a press release? Its things like this though that make you go, hmmmmm. :unsure:

On the other hand, the news itself is good. :up:
Actually it was WAY BACK in October of 2002 when US Airways downgraded the last CMH-DCA. You can see how over such a long period of time a mistake could be made. :->

BTW, when they added Cancun they said it was their "first ever Mexico city" even though they had flown to Mexico City and Cabo San Lucas (holdover from PSA) before. :-(

They've got a crack staff up there.

First Island flight ever was CLT-GCM. And CUN was the first Mexican City US ever flew into.

700UW said:
First Island flight ever was CLT-GCM. And CUN was the first Mexican City US ever flew into.
US Airways flew from PHL and TPA to Mexico City using a 737-300 in about 1995. They also had Mexicana's and BA's code on it for a while. After the PHL-MEX experienced weight restrictions they moved it to PIT and dropped TPA. It flew from there for a while, but was very poor. They moved it back to PHL and changed to a 757 to prevent the restrictions but it was 30-40% full and was cancelled.

If you go here you can see their load information from the DOT for when they flew it. You can also pull LAX-Cabo which was cut in about 1993-1994 era. CUN was the third Mexican destination US flew to.

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/DL_SelectFiel...&Is_Big_Table=0

700UW said:
Also I think Piedmont's service to SJU and NAS from CLT predated GCM.

I actually called US and told them that they were mistaken about mainline DCA-CMH. They returned my call within the hour syaing that they realized their mistake almost immediately after issuing the release, and had issued an ammended one. Their rationally was that they hadn't gone back in their schedules far enough. At least they figured it out.

Latest posts