US Airways briefly grounds three 767s after fuse pin problem

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Three US Airways Boeing 767s had to be pulled from service last week, after the carrier’s engineers discovered that recently-installed fuse pins in the engine pylons may have been too strong to allow the engine to safely break away during an emergency.

The discovery, made on May 24 – just before the USA’s Memorial Day weekend – came as a result of reviewing an airworthiness directive “that had conflicting statements from a Boeing service bulletinâ€￾, US Airways revealed in its employee newsletter dated yesterday.

Once Boeing clarified it, said US Airways, “we decided the airlines needed to have the pins replaced."

The carrier’s maintenance division developed a repair plan, while its operational control center, reservations and customer service representatives sought replacement aircraft, moved aircraft around the system, rescheduled crews and re-accommodated hundreds of passengers from the 767s.

The aircraft were scheduled to fly to Munich, Frankfurt and Barcelona during Memorial Day weekend. Despite delays of up to six hours, US Airways said it managed to get customers to their international destinations.

Additionally, the repairs came in a day earlier than estimated, on May 25, so the aircraft could be returned to service on May 26.

“Everyone involved made good decisions, quickly, that saved the day,â€￾ said US Airways senior VP, technical operations Hal Heule.

“Within one to two hours of being notified of the problem, people stepped up, made decisions, and got us through. This was a great example of a lot of people working together to overcome a problem and help our customers.â€￾

Once Boeing clarified it, said US Airways, “we decided the airlines needed to have the pins replaced."

So, US "decided" on their own and the presence of the FAA personnel at five o'clock in the morning had nothing to do with it.

Right!

The US PR department is so cute!

OK, I'll bite.

"Source", for what?

There have been a number of assertions made above, any of which might apply to your pithy question.

Resolving ambiguity is best accomplished by the use of quotes, conveniently provided when replying to a message. There is ample help and any lingering questions can be directed to the very helpful moderators.

I would leave it at that but your post reveals a reason that quite a few employees are rather cynical of corporate Tempe, presuming that is where you drink the koolaide. Your entire corporation is riddled with such ambiguities, resulting in visions of executives wearing blinders, if they are not blind altogether. It gives the impression there is desperation because there is no apparent direction, more than sufficiently reinforced by actual experiences (PHX mx personnel using faxes from mx dept., citing mx procedures attributed to "a pilot who says he got it from an Airbus tech. rep." Actually happened. I have the fax as well as the facts.)

You simply have low-rent, pretend, leadership. Accept it or change it. I think you would be surprised at how costly "cheap leadership" really is.

Are you done venting?

I was asking for a source on the article..but nevermind I checked my e-mail when I got to work today. Thanks for your help.

“Everyone involved made good decisions, quickly, that saved the day,â€￾ said US Airways senior VP, technical operations Hal Heule.
“Within one to two hours of being notified of the problem, people stepped up, made decisions, and got us through. This was a great example of a lot of people working together to overcome a problem and help our customers.â€￾
Make this guy, Hal Heule CEO for US. DoUgIe would still be sucking on his thumb figuring out what to do. This guy obviously can make a decision! :up:

Are you done venting?

I was asking for a source on the article..but nevermind I checked my e-mail when I got to work today. Thanks for your help.

Typical.

Didya ever consider that your response is the problem here? The dismissive "no problem here" attitude? The ignorant "you must have a rant problem" manner of dealing with someone with a beef. It sounds just like Marie A. telling "them" to eat cake, just before she was beheaded.

She=you? See ya.

Typical.

Didya ever consider that your response is the problem here? The dismissive "no problem here" attitude? The ignorant "you must have a rant problem" manner of dealing with someone with a beef. It sounds just like Marie A. telling "them" to eat cake, just before she was beheaded.

She=you? See ya.

Thanks! You make us fly!!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Yeah, bashing employees seem to really get you up. Perhaps you could get off your continental tutu and actually make a difference, here?

Continental? Huh? I work for US brotha. Actually seeing you get worked up about how badly this airline is doing is entertaining. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts