Us Airways Considers Slashing Fares

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
By Thomas Olson
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 23, 2004

US Airways will significantly reduce fares on East Coast routes and perhaps elsewhere as early as next week to combat low-fare competitors and preserve its dominant share of that market, industry experts said Thursday.
The strategy is primarily aimed at Southwest Airlines, the discount carrier that starts service in Philadelphia May 9 with 14 daily flights, doubling in July to 28 flights. Philadelphia is US Airways' most important hub, representing about 25 percent of the airline's ticket revenue.

Fare cuts would be the first major strategy move by new CEO Bruce Lakefield, who was installed by Chairman David Bronner and the US Airways board Monday, following the resignation of David Siegel.

"They're going to have to match Southwest fare by fare," said Kevin Mitchell, chairman of the Business Travel Coalition, a consumer advocacy group in Radnor, outside Philadelphia. Some fares could come down as much as 40 percent, he said.

"The market has been screaming for this for years," said Mitchell.

But don't count on US Airways to reduce fares in Pittsburgh very soon. Mitchell said with some 80 percent of the passenger traffic at Pittsburgh International Airport, US Airways isn't pushed by discounters to lower fares here.

Simplifying and reducing fares is part of US Airways' restructuring plan, according to the outlines disclosed thus far.

In addition to fare cuts, US Airways plans to increase the number of direct flights from Philadelphia, Washington and possibly elsewhere. Many of those routes, now flown with slow, noisy turboprop planes, will be fitted with regional jets with 50 to 72 seats.

"It is well known that the airline industry is moving to a simplified and lower fare structure that customers are increasingly demanding. But we do not comment on future pricing actions," said US Airways spokesman David Castelveter. He would not elaborate about adding flights or regional jets, saying, "As we implement changes, we will announce them."

Based in Arlington, Va., US Airways controls about one-quarter of the passenger traffic east of the Mississippi River, more than any other carrier.

But while fare cuts may retain passengers, it also bites into revenue. As it is, US Airways is expected to post a loss Tuesday of roughly $197 million for the three months ended March 31, according to one analyst's estimate. And US Airways already loses money on about 70 percent of its flights, Siegel told employees earlier this year.

"This certainly will cut into revenue. The question is, by how much?" said Betsy Snyder, credit analyst for Standard & Poor's, New York. The debt ratings firm has had US Airways on its credit watch list with negative implications since January.

"It's easy to cut prices, but you can't do that unless you've got ongoing cost-cutting in tandem," said Bob Jankowitz, senior credit officer at Moody's Investors Service, New York. "They have been working on it, but they need to do a lot more."

As reported, Air Line Pilots Association negotiators are expected to begin contract talks in early May. And pilots currently are receiving ratification ballots on an agreement that would let US Airways reassign regional jets to express partners in order to save money.

"With the new CEO in place, it could help get the cost-reduction process started again," said Snyder. "The pilots seems to be on board with Mr. Lakefield."

yea cut fares and cut deeper into labor, that's gonna pull usair outta that nosedive..........simply fu#$ing amazing!

Here is a sample of east coast fares into and out of PHL

NYC-PHL
Depart late morning of 4/26/04
Return about 5:30 - 6 PM same day

US $562 (Dash 8 both ways)

Acela Express FIRST CLASS $291
Acela Express Reserved Business Class $197

Difference in time is about 4-5 minutes each way. Not considering getting getting off a Dash 8 which is sometimes very problematic in PHL and almost always takes more than 4 or 5 minutes. Then there is the 20-60 minutes to and from the airport from downtown versus a quick ride to the station if you are going by train. The comfort in business on the train is comparable to Envoy. The comfort and service in first class on the train is comparable to Envoy. Cutting prices is a REAL good idea. NYC to DC isnt as bad largely because the time difference is greater on that trip. But is still isnt good. They really need to price the product at a point where is is competetive.

Local12, it ain't that simple.

First of all, if WN is offering fares at 40% of US's on the same routes, US's planes would be mostly empty anyway, which would be even less revenue than the revenue obtained by cutting fares.

Secondly, if the fares are cut intelligently, the impact on revenue may be zero or even positive. That's the theory behind rational fares, though it's worth noting that no airline with a rational fare structure is doing better than 9 cents RASM.

And what would you suggest as an alternative, anyway?

mweiss said:
.... it's worth noting that no airline with a rational fare structure is doing better than 9 cents RASM.
That's an interesting point. But there are so few of them that I wonder if it's a hard and fast rule. I would, for instance, expect US' markets in the East to support a higher RASM than HP's business in the West.

The business traveler in the NorthEast would think they had died and gone to heaven if US was "only" charging $0.30/mile between PHL and PVD or MHT...

It may not be a hard and fast rule, but it's not like we're talking about an insignificant number of data points. I'm comparing six LCCs to six legacies in my analysis.

Price PIT-IAD flight on US, down and back the same day$754...they are charging what amounts to $1.58 per mile for the ticket. Their costs are 11.39 cents per mile....think there's a little room for fare "slashing" there?

I priced a trip out of CLT on May 7 and returning on May 9. This trip includes a Saturday night stay and is on 200 miles from CLT. The U price is $683 for the roundtrip. I'm glad PHL will have reasonable fares. I think CLT and elsewhere will make up the difference. Needless to say, I will not be paying U $683 for a 200 mile trip, and I don't think anyone else will either. If no one is buying the tickets at these prices, what is the use. I'll be sure to send my "trip report" from my car when I return...

KC,

It's worse. The cheapest published fare for that route is $301, which amounts to 63 cents per mile. Even with a LF of 20%, and all of them sold at that cheapest fare, the flight should make a profit.

Yup, there's certainly room on that route for some fare decreases.

Which leads me to ask, if flights like that are licenses to print money, why on earth is US still losing money? Where are the money-losing routes, and why aren't they being dropped?

mweiss said:
KC,

It's worse. The cheapest published fare for that route is $301, which amounts to 63 cents per mile. Even with a LF of 20%, and all of them sold at that cheapest fare, the flight should make a profit.

Yup, there's certainly room on that route for some fare decreases.

Which leads me to ask, if flights like that are licenses to print money, why on earth is US still losing money? Where are the money-losing routes, and why aren't they being dropped?
No offense, but the ludicrous nature of the assumptions you and KC make concerning the cost on this route illustrate the complete lack of understnading all the armchair CEO's have concerning this industry.

Lets pretend you have two vehicles, a Prius and an Excursion. Your "average" cost per mile is 30 cents. You take a 1000 mile interstate trip in the Prius. Did it cost you $300? You drive the Excursion in rush hour traffic for 10 miles. Did it cost you $3? When you pay certain "fee's" that don't decrease with a shorter stage length, then guess what. YOU'RE CASM ON THAT LEG WILL BE HIGHER!!! Take for instance UAL's COS to DEN route. Did you know that landing fee's ALONE cost more than gas and flight crew COMBINED?

Well, I'd be hard-pressed to find a way, even including landing fees, taxes, etc., etc., etc. to come up with a scenario by which that route wouldn't be one of the most profitable in the system.

Honestly, Busdrvr, do I need to be that detailed on every single analytical post?

mweiss said:
Local12, it ain't that simple.

First of all, if WN is offering fares at 40% of US's on the same routes, US's planes would be mostly empty anyway, which would be even less revenue than the revenue obtained by cutting fares.

Secondly, if the fares are cut intelligently, the impact on revenue may be zero or even positive. That's the theory behind rational fares, though it's worth noting that no airline with a rational fare structure is doing better than 9 cents RASM.

And what would you suggest as an alternative, anyway?
mweiss, you answered your own question "an airline with a rational fare structure" let history be the teacher here, NO airline has saved its self by slashing its labor to peices then expecting the last ones standing to work more for less...yes it may work the first time around but if the airline is flying rudderless it will not work the second or the third, sorry but i call'em the way i see'em and all i see is lets get labor as low as possible then maybe we can squeak out a paltry profit, while millions go to the idiots that can't balance a checkbook :down:

OK, local12, what's your plan, then? So far all you've done is shake your head and say "this plan isn't going to work." So, let's put you in the driver's seat. WN's coming to PHL in a couple of weeks. What are you going to do?

mweiss again that falls into the lap of the leadership to "HAVE A PLAN" the mechanics job is to "REPAIR AND MAINTAIN" the a/c the pilots job is to "PILOT" the a/c the "FLIGHT ATTENDANT" to keep the pax comfy and safe, the "BAGGAGE HANDLER" to load bags so on and so forth. if you have all the answer's why are you not at the helm? im simply stating the facts. and the facts are, slashing labor will not save an airline, giving tickets away at 30 year low prices wont save an airline, now those "LEADERS" whom the airline pays "MILLION'S" TO RUN AN AIRLINE HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO DO THE JOB THEY ARE PAID TO DO...you think slashing prices and labor will fix the ailments? never has and never will!