Us Airways Contract Talks Continue

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways contract talks continue

Teddy Xidas, president of US Airways Pittsburgh-based AFA Local 40 and president-elect of the AFA's Master Executive Council s said US Airways' announcement Friday that it had reached a new financing agreement with two units of General Electric Corp. put additional pressure on the negotiations.

The agreement with GE, which held $2.8 billion in loans, leases and regional jet commitments with US Airways when the airline entered bankruptcy protection, could free up $140 million for the strapped airline.

The GE deal, however, is contingent on the bankruptcy judge approving pay cuts, work rule changes and relief from retiree health and pension benefits. It also sets a deadline for US Airways to emerge from bankruptcy protection by June 30.

It's like "giving the company a loaded gun with a steadier hand," Xidas said of the GE arrangement. "It hurts our negotiations by telling us what we should do and when we need to do it."

Complete Story

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

"The airline is seeking cuts worth $116 million a year from its flight attendants. The AFA gave the company a counterproposal over the weekend and was awaiting a reply yesterday, said Teddy Xidas, president of Pittsburgh-based AFA Local 40 and president-elect of the AFA's Master Executive Council at US Airways."

I am not sure how true the above comment is. I have yet to receive any counterproposal from AFA. AFA is pretty good about keeping its members up to date.

usfliboi said:
I think TED is catching on, that she isnt in the drivers seat , lol !
[post="204817"][/post]​

And here I was thinking she didn't take office till Jan.....

Jim

It is my understanding the company's AFA counterproposal was worse than the last proposal. If true, history keeps repeating itself, and "hardline" union negotiating tactics continue to hurt the rank-and-file union membership.

In my opinion, Judge Mitchell will have no option but to grant the company's S.1113© motion and prevent "self help" or the company will fail, which is something Mitchell does not want on his record.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
It is my understanding the company's AFA counterproposal was worse than the last proposal. If true, history keeps repeating itself, and "hardline" union negotiating tactics continue to hurt the rank-and-file union membership.

In my opinion, Judge Mitchell will have no option but to grant the company's S.1113© motion and prevent "self help" or the company will fail, which is something Mitchell does not want on his record.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="204845"][/post]​

Or 57% of the Flight Attendants could vote for a POS agreement that their MEC can't even recommend for a YES vote. Oh I forgot, it's AFA, not ALPA so that will never happen.

Justair said:
"The airline is seeking cuts worth $116 million a year from its flight attendants. The AFA gave the company a counterproposal over the weekend and was awaiting a reply yesterday, said Teddy Xidas, president of Pittsburgh-based AFA Local 40 and president-elect of the AFA's Master Executive Council at US Airways."

I am not sure how true the above comment is. I have yet to receive any counterproposal from AFA. AFA is pretty good about keeping its members up to date.
[post="204812"][/post]​

You need to write to the MEC...they are not planning to put it out. The neg. committee made that decision for some reason.

IMO, the proposals are improving.

PITbull said:
You need to write to the MEC...they are not planning to put it out. The neg. committee made that decision for some reason.

IMO, the proposals are improving.
[post="204849"][/post]​

Can you tell us if the new proposal that the AFA submitted addresses (1) C-scale pay for returning furloughees and/or new hires and (2) termination of employees who have been on furlough more than five years, as the company was asking?

DCAflyer

Union Board Supports US Airways Strike

By Ross Snel
TheStreet.com Staff Reporter
11/30/2004 12:17 PM EST

The union representing some 6,000 passenger service employees at US Airways (UAIRQ:OTC BB - news - research) has paved the way for a strike should the airline get bankruptcy court approval to cancel its labor contracts.

PLEASE POST THE LINK...

USA320Pilot said:

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="204845"][/post]​

USA320Pilot, I'd still like to continue our dialogue in the "Congress or CHAOS" thread. If you're able to address my points, please do. Thanks.

USA320Pilot said:

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="204845"][/post]​

USA320Pilot,

I'm intrigued with this particular comment. Please be so kind as to elaborate on your opinion that Judge Mitchell, an appointed federal judge, would be concerned about a court ruling in relation to his "record", particularly in a matter that has almost no prior judicial history.

USA320Pilot said:

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="204845"][/post]​

Maybe he shouldn't have let them out of BK #1 so soon if he was that concerned with his record.

If Mitchell were that good at bankruptcy, he'd be in New York or Delaware.

He's more concerned with being overturned--even bankruptcy can't put lips on a pig, and he can always liquidate.

Now, if he were thinking about it, after seeing the performance of this crew, he'd appoint a trustee and put the joint into receivership, a move I'm suprised certain creditors have not requested.