US Airways could add some humanity to its 'corporate personhood'

john john

Veteran
Contributor
Sep 12, 2004
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20111025,0,1032272.column
When a frequent flier is forced to cancel a flight because her husband had suffered a major heart attack, The best US Airways could do was extend the ticket by a few months, as long as she paid a $150 fee.
It took US Airways three months to process Seberg's request. In September, the airline sent what looked like a form letter saying that "we're sorry to learn that travel could not be completed as originally scheduled."
"Issuing a new ticket would require Seberg to pay "a $150 change fee and any fees that apply based on fare rules in effect at the time of travel."

Not really ever wanting to defend the Tempe brain trust, I am not sure the LA Times article is entirely fair.

Airlines have been selling non-refundable tickets for a long time. That's why they can be had relatively cheaply vs. a full-fare ticket. If you buy tickets to a Broadway show (about $300 a couple or more for decent seats) and your husband has a massive heart attack, you don't get your money back because you missed the show.

There are companies out there that sell insurance for exactly this type of situation. I purchased a $1500 cheapie seat to the Far East, and the insurance was $79. If something beyond my power keeps me from that flight (and I can prove it,) I'm covered for the price.

If airlines, including US Airways, had a policy allowing people get refunds on non-refundable tickets for family emergencies, then every time someone wanted to weasel out of a trip for any reason, a family emergency would be concocted. That would defeat the purpose of a non-fundable deeply discounted ticket.

Perhaps, though, with proper documentation (not a doctor's note) some leeway could be made IF the flight would not have gone out full anyway. (Something for the Tempe forum spies to think about.)

Reactions: 1 person
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20111025,0,1032272.column
When a frequent flier is forced to cancel a flight because her husband had suffered a major heart attack, The best US Airways could do was extend the ticket by a few months, as long as she paid a $150 fee.
It took US Airways three months to process Seberg's request. In September, the airline sent what looked like a form letter saying that "we're sorry to learn that travel could not be completed as originally scheduled."
"Issuing a new ticket would require Seberg to pay "a $150 change fee and any fees that apply based on fare rules in effect at the time of travel."

I'm going to jump to US Airways defense here with a couple of points.

1. Did the Customer offer medical bills as proof? I've had two situations as customer advocate from FFOCUS where upon presenting the Medical information to US they were MORE then accommodating and generous, to the point where one of the customers donated the amount of the change fees to the American Cancer Society in US Airways and her name.

2, What part of NON REFUNDABLE do people not get? Where is the line drawn? I've gotten stung with hotel rooms that the rate was non refundable. I wouldn't dream of seeking a refund. At some point rules is rules.

In the published case, US should have required medical evidence and upon presentation of the proof, allowed the customer to use the ticket with no change fee for up to one year. Waive the change fee? Totally appropriate! REFUND??? What part of Non-Refundable is not understood??? Airlines are NOT the United Way, they exist to make money and the rules should be clearly stated in language a 12 year old can understand and explain. Exceptions to policy/rules should be handled on a case by case basis as sadly people aren't always honest. Do we know if the person in the story actually had a heart attack? If not, no waivers, no favors,

I think US could have handled this better as Valerie Wunder's statement was a bit lame and made US seem very hard assed. However with all of the Con Artists out there you have to not give away the store.

Reactions: 1 person
Airlines used to waive reissue fees with doctors' note, until "doctors' note" became a bit of cottage industry, thanks to computer printers and Microsoft Word; anyone could print an official looking "doctor's note".

"Nonrefundable" means just that and as Nycbus pointed out, there is travel insurance.

At least in this case, the airline is not the big, heartless corporate ogre.

The bottom line is: If you purchase a NON-REFUNDABLE ticket, either purchase travel insurance or be fully prepared to lose the price of that ticket if for some reason you cannot live up to your end of the BARGAIN. It the ticket price is more than you can afford to lose, buy the insurance.

For all those suggesting asking for medical proof, I'd like to point out our coworkers behavior. There seems to be a rash of sleep apnea and migraine diagnoses. A note from a doctor, IMO, is worthless nowadays. That and I know two medical professionals that would write a note without questions.

When I worked in Rez we used to waive the fee with proof of a medical note or death certificate. I bet 90% claiming an emergency got mad and gave up the second that was mentioned, the vast majority IMHO were lying or greatly exaggerating!

When I worked in Rez we used to waive the fee with proof of a medical note or death certificate. I bet 90% claiming an emergency got mad and gave up the second that was mentioned, the vast majority IMHO were lying or greatly exaggerating!

Exactly! That is why for all intents and purposes, a NON-REFUNDABLE ticket needs to be just that. Buy trip insurance, or suck it up.

Try getting your money back on an NFL ticket or any other sporting event ( or concert).