Us Airways Could Seek Merger, Chairman Says

Justme

Veteran
Feb 29, 2004
US Airways could seek merger, chairman says

By Thomas Olson
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 3, 2004

US Airways and its unions must settle on a way to turn a profit by July or its board will start selling assets or find a merger partner, Chairman David Bronner warned Tuesday.
"By early summer, something's got to give one way or the other," Bronner said in a telephone interview from Montgomery, Ala. His comments came a day after a candid meeting with leaders of the flight attendants union about the airline's financial losses.

"If we can't resolve the issues with labor -- the red ink -- it means more problems and the long-term demise of a great company," Bronner said. "I tried to put everything on the table, whether it's the sale of assets or talking to another company about a merger."

Last month, US Airways said it must reduce expenses by about 25 percent, most of it in labor costs. Bronner pressed his case for that in closed-door meetings with the flight attendants Monday as he had with leaders of the pilots union Feb. 20.

The airline, the nation's seventh-largest, lost $98 million in the three months ended Dec. 31 and $90 million in the prior quarter.

Bronner's mention of a possible merger was the first time a top executive of the airline has publicly discussed such a step since US Airways emerged from bankruptcy nearly a year ago, when he became chairman.

US Airways also must take steps to avoid defaulting on $900 million in loans backed by the U.S. Air Transportation Stabilization Board. Created as an industry safety net after the 2001 terrorist attacks, the ATSB expects US Airways to hit certain profit levels by the end of June.

"We are talking to the ATSB, but they want to see things in black and white," Bronner said in pushing for formalized labor concessions.

US Airways employs nearly 8,000 workers in Pittsburgh, including about 750 pilots and 1,175 flight attendants. The carrier's nationwide work force agreed to $1.03 billion in annual wage and benefit concessions in the summer of 2002.

Leaders of the Association of Flight Attendants met with Bronner for about 2 1/2 hours over lunch in Charlotte, N.C. on Monday.

Union chairman Perry Hayes yesterday called the meeting with Bronner a "frank discussion." But he said progress toward negotiations is hindered because the union still has not heard management's business plan and how it would involve flight attendants.

"US Airways still has not asked for any specific concessions," Hayes said through a spokeswoman.

"It's an ongoing thing," Bronner said of the restructuring process."If (flight attendants) are looking for a piece of paper with a business plan on it, they're in the wrong business."
Bronner heads the Retirement Systems of Alabama, which has about $24 billion in assets. The public pension funded US Airways through Chapter 11 and acquired a 37 percent stake for $240 million.

"The world changed about a year ago when Wall Street opened their wallets to the discounters and shut off money to the legacy carriers," he said.

Discounter JetBlue Airways, for instance, recently obtained about $7 billion to buy more than 200 regional jets over the next seven years. Such a growth spurt would make East Coast competitor JetBlue's fleet bigger than US Airways'.

By contrast, US Airways could lose aircraft financing from GE Capital if the airline doesn't "stop bleeding red ink," Bronner said.

He also referred to discounter Southwest Airline's May 9 launch of service in Philadelphia, one of US Airways' three hubs. Its traffic also generates about 25 percent of US Airways' annual revenue.

"Knowing you're under attack in places like Philadelphia, which pulls your revenue down, you've got to lower your costs," Bronner said. He called the situation "a helluva dilemma for the poor labor leader."

Bronner also defended US Airways' decision to outsource heavy maintenance of its Airbus jets to an Alabama contractor. The International Association of Machinists is challenging the move in the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia.

"It saves millions of dollars, and other carriers like United are doing it, too," Bronner said.

Thomas Olson can be reached at [email protected] or (412) 320-7854.

/////////////END OF ARTICLE//////////

Couple of telling comments in here...the first is that apparently, in this industry, there is no such thing as a "plan". In the third from the last paragraph he pretty much reveals the extent of his thinking in response to competition....lower costs. And then of course the last sentence is incomplete.....should read "it saves millions of dollars in the short-term".

As others have pointed out, the quality of maintenance at major carriers has been, over the years, unbelievably outstanding. Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean lower quality (it doesn't?), but there has to be at least a mention of the value of loyalty. In my experience, aircraft mechanics tend to develop a sense of ownership in their work. And no amount of $ saved in the near-term can offset a potentially catastrophic result of either poor workmanship or lack of oversight (or both). Outsourcing is not necessarily going to result in this, but there've been many examples in my own life of watching a company lose control of it's quality standards when they've outsourced production of various products. Unfortunately, I think the die is cast. Thrashing and resisting when changes of this magnatude are thrust on unwilling participants (you and me) are an acceptable and expected part of their plan. And I'm afraid that the tide rises and falls without regard to the number of people standing on the shore (regardless of how united) hollering out for it to stop.

I'm standing on the sidelines for now, watching to see what happens. My hope is for a strong us airways. My confidence in the ability and intentions of Bronner and Seigel to make that happen are near zero. But hey, stranger things have happened.

Justme

Just you,

I'm am damn surprised his big mouth is in the paper again. No wonder our rating is falling. The meeting was nonthreatening. AFA knows the stakes and knows very well the conditions. Nothing new was presented at the meeting. AGain, they leave managment off the hook. Plan? Yea, no one knows the damn plan. This is all about labor bringing down their costs so ANY plan can work!

I'm over this guys.

Justme said:
By Thomas Olson
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 3, 2004

"It's an ongoing thing," Bronner said of the restructuring process."If (flight attendants) are looking for a piece of paper with a business plan on it, they're in the wrong business."
So, as we all suspected all along, the plan that Siegel has been touting since December doesn't really exist, and never will. It's easier just to take more from the employees than to figure out how to run an airline effectively.

And if the employees bite again (unlikely, IMHO) and further concessions don't work, then they can always just come up with a new plan. Maybe....hmmmm....get even more concessions!!!???

It's tragically funny that little more than a week ago Bronner told the pilots to participate in formulating "the plan" or just have management dump a 400 page document of the plan in their laps. So, in little more than a week we've gone from a 400 page document of the plan to a "piece of paper" that doesn't even exist.

Bronner's statement seems a little ridiculous, since the ATSB wanted a business plan on paper and got one. I guess maybe he's saying that management (including himself and the BOD) aren't up to the task? :angry:

oldiebutgoody said:
I guess maybe he's saying that management (including himself and the BOD) aren't up to the task? :angry:
It's painfully obvious that is EXACTLY the case. Take from the employees, like fatting up the pig before the slaughter, the pig being the opposite of labor, you know, the people who are already rich.

By Thomas Olson
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 3, 2004

ROTFL!!!! (if it weren't so sad!)

Actually, with the size and compexity of this business, I would expect the business plan to come in a binder, accompanied by a powerpoint presentation.

Two possibilities:

1) They have no business plan, in which case shareholders of US Airways and public pensioners in Alabama) should be suing them for fiduciary negligence, and perhaps the SEC and the ATSB should be looking into them for fraud

or

2) They have a plan. But it isn't really to run a business, just to milk it until it is dry and then punt (merge, purge, submerge). Can't really go around showing a business plan like that.

If Dr. Bronner really believes the words he has said, than he is in the wrong business (wait, I think we've already established that he IS in the wrong business!)

Lordy lordy!
-Airlineorphan

well if the boys down at GECAS see this...the RJ thing is done..there goes one dominoe in the POR....aaaa....salvo the ATSB guarantees....there goes another dominoe....i think i see the fat lady warming up now.....
frank said you'll know if you have a career by summer.

Justme said:
"We are talking to the ATSB, but they want to see things in black and white," Bronner said in pushing for formalized labor concessions.

Two pretty amazing statements from Dr. Bronner. He understands fully that the ATSB wants to see it in writing - all of it. The government will want to be sure that any new labor agreements are signed, sealed and delivered. Does he somehow think that they won't demand to see any updated business plan with the same level of detail?

If you run a business and have ever gone to a bank or the government to get a loan or a grant, then you know that they want every last detail of your business plan. I'm sure this is no different.

Saying that there is no "piece of paper" to show with the new business plan is absurd on its face. If no such paper exists now, one will have to exist pretty soon if CCY wants the government to adjust any of the benchmarks that U has to reach to continue operating. This is simply one of the most absurd statements ever.

I think the plan does exist. However, people forget that this is a VERY competitive industry and no executive in his/her right mind is going to put all the details of the "plan" on paper, so it can be shared with other carriers, etc.

There are many elements of the plan but the key points of relevance to most employees are being stated as simply as possible: costs MUST down and that includes several areas, one of which is labor. The rest of the plan is already known in many ways: Star Alliance, codeshares, reduce distribution costs, aggressively fend of Southwest, add new routes and planes where profitable, etc.

Why is this so hard to understand?

More revenue down the toilet!!!!! If you were planning a vacation or business trip for late summer or fall would you take the chance and book it on a carrier that may be out of business???? Nice move Dr Bronner, sounds like he works for BBB.

Souds like another threat from "Labor Friendly USAirways". :down:

Let' see, labor costs are 40%. Siegel say he has to have 25% reduction in costs. A 50% wage cut should do it. Why not a fuel cost penelty for employee wages whenever fuel costs rise . . . . or management forgets to hedge? Oh, and, of course, there's the executive dining room costs to consider . . . .

This is expectation managment at its best. What he wants to do is extract huge concessions from labor . . . . . . then it "just won't be enough", so he'll start selling off the company piecemeal . . . . without employees.

Merge the whole company? YGBSM. U is a boat anchor and an entity. A few pieces are worth something, but as a whole, no. No matter what outcome, you can be sure Seigle and the execs will get a very nice fat exit package. It's probably already in a sequestered accout somewhere.

U employees are going to wind up in a MUCH smaller company (if any at all) with Mesa level compensation and corporate culture.

Carty did the same thing to AA employees. No talk, no answer to union questions, THEN all of a sudden the deal has to be done yesterday. Don't think, just sign the contract. It's called the "BUM'S RUSH" method of contract negotiation, and it's not by accident. These guys know exactly what they're doing.

This is absolutely classic. It'll go down in airline history.

Yes, I am curious abot the statement, that if F/A's wants a piece of paper with a plan, they are in eth wrong business. I must admit, that like others, that there simply is no plan. None, zip, nada. Well, actually there is, business as usual, but if that does not work, by golly, we shall extract a profit from he employees.

Heck, I am starting to get mad and upset with Siegel and Bronner. I don't even work for U, but then again, cannot say I have good feelings for Ornstein. These gentlemen are he11 bent on destroying whatever career an airline job used to be.

I had a dream that southwest bought US. Labor accepted all of southwests existing contracts and things were worked out for the larger aircraft. US became their east coast/international/caribean division.
Orange and blue A330?
Im not saying that I wish this would happen, or that it is even a good idea. Its just a weird dream I had.

sentrido said:
I had a dream that southwest bought US. Labor accepted all of southwests existing contracts and things were worked out for the larger aircraft. US became their east coast/international/caribean division.
Orange and blue A330?
Im not saying that I wish this would happen, or that it is even a good idea. Its just a weird dream I had.
then i awoke sweating and screaming.

How dense are you wishful thinkers??

You focus on a piece of paper (even if such a 'plan' could be authored it still won't save your carcass by July) and resume your decades-old complaints about inferior management.

Bronner's not concerned about a plan anymore. The string is just being played out.

Go ahead and attend more meetings and issue more demands.

I understand your frustration but whining ain't gonna save the firm now.

Good luck!

Latest posts