Us Airways Debt To Be Rated Junk Soon?

May 9, 2004
"Standard & Poor's rates US Airways' $5.8 billion debt at CCC+ and negative, meaning that it is just above junk status -- and could be downgraded."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...s/s_204759.html

I dont understand how some of the people who post here write such things like, gee, management is hiding profits from the market and employees so the unions will agree to give backs etc...

There is nothing to hide people.. this company is on the friggen ropes. If US Air debt gets dropped one more level, it becomes junk, wallstreet lingo for WORTHLESS!!

The only thing I have to say is that if you are somehow living under the false pretense that everything is just rosey, and that all the losses US Air is posting is just a white wash to get unions to fork over more cash, you are sadly mistaken.

The only silver lining I see is that, Im sure this old boat could be kept afloat for another year or two if you guys give mgmt what they want. Enough time to get some new skills and find a new job. Also, Bronner and Lakefield wont be walking away with your pension funds.. Not this time.

so they pull they plug soon on finances i see.
poor credit rating,no financial backing....like my union president said- it will start a cave in that can't be stopped.
negotiations will never come around in time.

Walmart: HA.. Your response typifies the ignorance and cynicism that plauges most UAir union employees. Im not really surprised the by the direction of this airline given its severely misguided management, and disgruntled employees. Im starting to doubt whether another full round of consessions could even save UAir at this point. Its going to be sold off. I hope you guys like this livery:
america_west_logo.gif

A perfect combination of networks that would be.

At a paltry $2.50 a share, some kind of merger/buyout is almost eminent. With uncle sam on the hook for $900 million it may never see again, I doubt any federal interference would block such a move. The writing is on the wall, I wonder how many UAir employees AW could take on, and how many would relegated to walk the plank?

The bottom line is, it is out of our control what the final outcome of this company or job is going to be. So the best bet is to hold your head high, try not to get to stressed out, and whatever hand your dealt at the end of the game,play it to the best of your ability. Sure it sucks that we have spent most of our adult careers working for such a misguided company, but I will not let that huge negative take away the plus side of all the truely great friends we have met over the many years. You can spend all your free time posting what you want everyone else to do but in the end its a personal choice, Thats America. :up: Its been a decent ride, but if the end comes, it won't be the employees fault, and there will be life after usairways. It will be up to the indivual person to choose that path.

usair_begins_with_u said:
Im starting to doubt whether another full round of consessions could even save UAir at this point. Its going to be sold off.
You are a breath of fresh air with your thoughtful insights. Where have you been? I cannot believe you came up with this on your own. You are are a gift to this forum. Please tell us more. Please.

Walmart.. I love your passive aggressive nature.. It’s really fitting for your view of the world as being a victim of circumstance. Its a strategy I used to use with my parents when I was a child and I wanted to make a point, yet was too much of a wuss to tell them how I really felt. As a grown up, passive aggressiveness usually manifests itself in those who are dominated by their partners. Be more assertive and maybe you will not be the victim all the time. Just a thought.

Walmart.. I love your passive aggressive nature.. It’s really fitting for your view of the world as being a victim of circumstance. Its a strategy I used to use with my parents when I was a child and I wanted to make a point, yet was too much of a wuss to tell them how I really felt. As a grown up, passive aggressiveness usually manifests itself in those who are dominated by their partners. Be more assertive and maybe you will not be the victim all the time. Just a thought.
There are rules in regualtions in place on this forum preventing posters from telling people how they really feel. I know that for fact. Your one vote or whine will not save or doom this company either way. When you face this reality your outlook will change. If constantly disputing other posters views gives you a charge in life then knock yourself out.

Thanks Dr. Phil. Your insight is amazing. Maybe you should start a business giving out advice to people based on two internet messages. You would make a fortune and not have to waste your time poking a stick at dead dogs. Have a nice day, and maybe watch a little less TV. Greeter.

Walmartgreeter said:
You are a breath of fresh air with your thoughtful insights. Where have you been? I cannot believe you came up with this on your own. You are are a gift to this forum. Please tell us more. Please.
Wow, why so full of sarcasm, and bitterness, maybe that is why you ended up at walmart :angry:

The company is in sad finiancial shape because of the poor leadership it has had.... and the leaders were allowed to run off with millions of dollars that the company couldn't afford to pay....Gangwhal, Wolfe, Siegal, etc....They believed an approved merger with United would have solved the problems, and put all their eggs in one basket...When that failed ..the party was over for the CEO's and they bailed out....One by one...with a sackful of cash....

It has been know as a good company in the past, but after the company has had its resources taken away, by past CEO's....It has had to make up the shortfall with massive reduction in schedules, lower service and less attention to it's customers.... less flights, less manpower, less customer service....

All this after the "customer commitments" pledges to do better for the customer....

U is trying to do too much with too few people....expanded with the Star Alliance and was not on solid ground enough to handle that commitment...If you want to charge Southwest rock bottom fares, you have to scale down all the various programs and exteranous phone calls and concentrate on just selling seats on an airplane....I would like to know what percent of calls that come in are just calls with passengers asking for seats & seat changes & free upgrades & free tickets with miles....