US Airways, Delta launch PR battle in attempted takeover

jimcfs

Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Athens, WV
www.cfld.com
From this morning's USA Today...

By Marilyn Adams, USA TODAY
Delta Air Lines' creditors and a bankruptcy judge will decide whether US Airways buys Delta, but that isn't stopping both airlines from battling for public opinion.

Both airlines have hired big names in the financial public relations business to help shape the views of Wall Street analysts, airline employees and airline customers as well as the creditors and judges. US Airways hired New York communications firm Joele Frank, Wilkinson Brimmer Katcher. Delta is using Kekst and Co., a large New York financial PR firm with longstanding ties to the airline.

In a surprise announcement Nov. 15, US Airways publicly offered Delta's bankruptcy creditors $8 billion in stock and cash for Delta, which is in Chapter 11. Delta's management has rebuffed the offer.

The unveiling was well-orchestrated. That morning, US Airways' PR team, along with a team from Joele Frank, placed predawn phone calls to dozens of reporters and Wall Street analysts to alert them to an 8:15 a.m. conference call with CEO Doug Parker.

A new electronic newsletter, For the Record, now spins every small development in the pending deal in the most favorable light to US Airways.

"They do aggressive financial PR, and they are very good at it," US Airways Senior Vice President Elise Eberwein said of the Joele Frank firm. Frank could not be reached.

Meanwhile, Delta bought a full-page advertisement opposing the merger in its hometown newspaper, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. And at the urging of its own employees, Delta ordered and distributed 50,000 red "Keep Delta My Delta" lapel buttons. US Airways has scheduled meetings with influential newspaper editorial boards.

Experts on the PR industry say it's common in hostile takeovers for the pursuer and pursued to hire specialized PR firms. PR Week reporter Hamilton Nolan says the firms know their audiences, and the stakes.

"They ask: 'What's the message to the creditors, to the media, to analysts, to customers, to shareholders?' All those groups get targeted messages."

Not all PR is for public consumption, however. Right after last month's announcement, Delta placed countless private phone calls to its unsecured creditors to argue that a merger would be risky and that Delta is better off alone.

The takeover fight between Delta and US Airways won't be over anytime soon. Delta hopes to show creditors its business plan as a stand-alone airline later this month.

Michael Freitag, the Kekst partner overseeing the Delta account, says financial PR is a long-term project. Delta's efforts to win support from all its crucial constituents "is a marathon, not a sprint."

Wow, if we were half as interested (and aggressive) in making US Airways a top notched carrier, Delta would be coming to US.

$8 BILLION for lots of widebodies, a few flights to Asia and 50, 000 employees that hate you. Hummmm, thanks, but no thanks!! Keep Delta their Delta!

Wow, if we were half as interested (and aggressive) in making US Airways a top notched carrier, Delta would be coming to US.

$8 BILLION for lots of widebodies, a few flights to Asia and 50, 000 employees that hate you. Hummmm, thanks, but no thanks!! Keep Delta their Delta!

What we all need to remember (especially Delta employees) is that our COMPANIES are at battle with this not the employees. If this take-over does happen, we need to remember what the purpose was...to make one of the largest greatest airlines in the world.

At this point, no one knows where this will end up, but we cannot fight with each other over it.

IT IS NOT IN OUR CONTROL!!! REMEBER THAT

<SNIP>
From this morning's USA Today...

By Marilyn Adams, USA TODAY

Both airlines have hired big names in the financial public relations business to help shape the views of Wall Street analysts, airline employees and airline customers as well as the creditors and judges.
What a waste of resources.

All anyone has to do is log on to USAviation.com for any and all witty spin.

EXCELLENT POST! Very well put lets get the buttons going..."Keep Delta their Delta"

And, as always, usairways.com absolutely blows.

Go to the official merger website, and what do you find?

Four tabs, labeled "For Customers", "For Employees", "For Investors", and "For Media".

You know, like the article said, to give each group a specific message. So far so good.

But click on the "For Customers", "For Employees", or "For Media" tabs, and you just get the same information in each case, with a letter from Doug headed "Dear US Airways Customer:".

Anyone surprised they've spent a zillion dollars on PR yet managed to screw up the simplest things anyway? Yeah, I thought not. :down:

Well, IF it happens, at least the Delta name will survive. And I think it's the best idea.

It is very interesting that there is basically NO objection by any forum post to the fact that the USAirways name will be unceremoniously dumped.

Even the east USAirways employees seem to be relieved that they may get out from under the contrived name foisted upon them by Wolfe and his Gang(wal).

As a former southern division employee, I never liked the name for my own narrow-minded, emotional reasons. I will find it a relief to work for a carrier with a well-respected name. That hasn't been my experience since 1989, and I welcome the change if it comes about. (I cringe whenever a new acquaintance asks me what I do for work, knowing full well I will have to sheepishly admit that I do that work for USAirways.)

Doug Parker took a page from the ValuJet playbook and realized that the best way to get out from under a name that carries lots of unfortunate baggage (no pun intended) is to buy a better name. The travelling public will be 99.9% oblivious within 90 days of the change. In very short order, no one will miss the USAirways name any more than anyone waxes nostalgic over the moniker "ValuJet."

Many of us US employees have lost our previous companies name, its just a name. We have all been able to see that its how financially strong you are that really means something. How many US employees previously worked for a smaller airline but due to mergers becam US? A whole bunch. We still take pride in what we do and how we treat our customers. US is made up of many true professionals who have been able to weather many uncertainties in the past. If the merger is completed they will change uniforms and badges but not their professionalism. But back to the Tempe spin machine. I think the US motto should be "one way or another"- if not Delta than NW. A merger will happen.

Well, IF it happens, at least the Delta name will survive. And I think it's the best idea.

It is very interesting that there is basically NO objection by any forum post to the fact that the USAirways name will be unceremoniously dumped.

Even the east USAirways employees seem to be relieved that they may get out from under the contrived name foisted upon them by Wolfe and his Gang(wal).

As a former southern division employee, I never liked the name for my own narrow-minded, emotional reasons. I will find it a relief to work for a carrier with a well-respected name. That hasn't been my experience since 1989, and I welcome the change if it comes about. (I cringe whenever a new acquaintance asks me what I do for work, knowing full well I will have to sheepishly admit that I do that work for USAirways.)

Doug Parker took a page from the ValuJet playbook and realized that the best way to get out from under a name that carries lots of unfortunate baggage (no pun intended) is to buy a better name. The travelling public will be 99.9% oblivious within 90 days of the change. In very short order, no one will miss the USAirways name any more than anyone waxes nostalgic over the moniker "ValuJet."
As a US employee based in Boston since I was hired in 1988, I would love to see the Delta name disappear. Nothing personal against Delta.