US Airways deploys new software

When I read this press release, I had to do one of these :rolleyes:

Instead of making management and front-line employees do their job, we buy new software.

Nothing but a press release from some corporate shill.

Sounds like a company run by a relative of whoevser made the decision to hire them.

Do we need to spend money on software to tell us when planes will arrive?

Why don't they go on the ramp, see what causes the problems, you don't need a several hundred thousand dollar software package to figure it out.

Lets see, too many bags, especially now with the liquid ban, not enough tugs, carts and beltloaders to move the luggage, too many connections on the ground at one time, too many RJs that are weight restricted and finally not enough workers to handle the volume.

Gee pay me the several hundreds of thousands they paid this software company.

How is software going to tell where a piece of ground eqiupment is when there is no communication between the tug and the computer?

Waste of time and money.

Data for flights is entered into Sabre for W&B.

And since you dont work the ramp and never have, the agents have gone to management for years and years and told them how to fix it, only to go on deaf ears.

But hey since you know it all, I guess you cant tell everyone in the airline industry a computer program will fix it all instead of the knowledge of the workers who can tell you exactly what the problems are and how to fix it.

We have all ready had time study after time study and all kinds of studies as to why things occur, yet management never acted upon it.

Sounds like you are a management apologist again, gee, has your DM statement had a big credit lately?

I am really not sure why people complain about improvements to a broken system. They don't really know what it's about but it must be awful. Put the rampers in charge they'll fix it because they're big picture positions. lol. Give it a chance before u bash can't get any worse right.

What improvements?

The people that do the work know more about it then some beancounter in a cubicle, looking at a monitor.

I am down with getting objective facts and dealing with them. In this case, it is actually possible to do that without a bunch of software. I ran a baggage service office for a while, at an airline with about the same number of mainlines US currently has ;) .

When analyzing our misconnects, there were generally two problems.

1. The originating station did not load the bags. They'd load them without reroute tags on the next flight, let them wind up at the destination, and then blame the hub for misconnecting. DFW was bad for that at the time.

Solution: Once DFW was identified as a problem, ramp agents unloading DFW flights compared the flight numbers on the tags to the flight number they were working. Discrepancies were sent to me. Once we had a good case built, our manager talked to their manager, etc.

2. We failed to transfer the bag. Sometimes it was human error, once it was a simple as a flight that generally arrived late misconnected bags to one of the first departures of the bank. These two flights happened to be located far away from each other.

Solution: Park habitual late flight next to early departure.

Now, if the software is going to help quantify those problems, fine and dandy. Given the US mindset, it is more likely US will:

1. Take agent solutions, run them through the magic computer, and claim the solution as their own, because everybody knows a drink of cold water and an fresh idea would kill an agent, or

2.The computer solution will blame the agents.

Plus, I think the dirty little secret is, given the reliance US has on RJ's, and given that RJ's cannot routinely carry full passenger and bag loads, US has a problem not easily solved.

Hey Bob,

Last time I checked it was two bankruptcies in less then two years is the reason why everyone took pay cuts at US.

Last time I checked ALPA, AFA, CWA, IAM and the TWU all took concessions, so if you follow your use of illogical thinking all the unions at US are the reason why employees took pay cuts.

Like I said, put on a uniform and go out and work the ramp and you will see what the real problems are and no computer program will show you that.

The employees who do the job, are the best tools and solution on how to fix what is broke, under Gangwal, when we had problems teams were formed and things got done, I know, I was involved with a few of them, he even overrode the vetoes the bean counters put on our ideas when we justified our solutions to him, see it was knowledge and experience that solved the problems, not a computer program used by a bean counter.

Well, it is easy just to ask them what needs to be changed. I always see them sitting around the airport talking, so they are always available. I'm sure they wouldn't mind their conversation being interrupted and someone asking them what needs to be done to fix the situation. :rolleyes:

Latest posts