US Airways doesn't see much 'international' in future

linemech

Advanced
Nov 5, 2003
PIT
Visit site
It would seem that connecting traffic is just that.
With congestion in PHL at a all time high and its inability to get flights in and out on time, USAirways should be looking for less congested airports to "connect" some of its passengers. USAirways determination to pack more flights into a already overloaded airport does nothing but inconvenience its passengers.

US Airways attributes the weak environment for international flights on size of the Pittsburgh market yet in the same breath they thy complain about connecting traffic in PIT being weak due to competition that they stepped aside and made room for.

USAirways management has complete control over how much connecting traffic flows through PIT and where it is going. I find Doug Parkers excuses to be lame at best. :down:

SEE STORY

linemech

linemech,
It's a business decision and like "Doogie" said they can't get the numbers to work. This airline isn't a charity case! Why didn't British Airways come back into PIT, why hasn't Luthansa come here? Simply put, the market isn't big enough. Hey, I live here, would love to see some growth, but I have to agree with "Doogie" on this one.

Eye

Ok, so PIT can't seem to support any international destinations. But why can't US look at moving some of the traffic back to PIT? PHL is just too congested. There has to be someone with the new US that can look at moving certain NE cities back to a PIT connection that would help to relieve PHL.

Then it wouldn't be such a hassel to connect in PHL. I'd rather have a good 1.5 hour layover in PHL than having to run like OJ Simpson (without killing a white woman :shock: ) thru PHL to make a tight connection. It's happened too often in the past few years because of those dreaded ATC holds and weather related issues.

Didn't the FAA require AA & UA to reduce the # of flights in ORD because of congestion? Couldn't they do that to US in PHL at some point?

Folks....you are beating a dead horse! PIT will never get the service back that you are asking.
The days of PIT being "mecca" are done with. That title has been given to PHL and PHX.
Doug has said that PHL is the bread and butter of US and it will suceed. IT WILL take time, but i agree that it will prosper.
Every trip I work, I wish I was passing through PIT instead of PHL or CLT, but those days are over sadly. Please move on!

Ok, so PIT can't seem to support any international destinations. But why can't US look at moving some of the traffic back to PIT? someone with the new US thPHL is just too congested. There has to beat can look at moving certain NE cities back to a PIT connection that would help to relieve PHL.

Because when a segment of your business is making money (PHL), don't mess with it just because some of your customers dislike the facilities. Remember 60+% of all passengers going to PHL live in or do business in the region. The other 40% are either connecting to International or connecting to/from Northeast cities and those passengers have the convenience of connecting to anywhere in the world from a single location - a major Domestic/International Hub. If you moved some of the PHL traffic to PIT, that convenience would be limited to the cities which were moved and the ones currently served (at PIT). CLT, not PHL is really the duplicate of old PIT. It is primarily a connecting facility. If US abandoned CLT (and no one else stepped in), the airport would probably become a shell of it's former self - PHL would not, since it is primarily a Domestic and International O&D facility.

YES we all know PIT is dead as a major hub for US. I wasn't saying that.

Reread....."certain NE cities"....have been rerouted thru PHL which used to connect in PIT. Which in turn adds to the congestion of PHL.

OY VEY!?

Hey Barbell......it's call sarcasm.....relax..... ;) I'm sure you've never had to run from A west concourse to F concourse in PHL in under 7 minutes because ATC made your flight circle the airport for an hour because of traffic.
Once you've made that mad dash then you'll have another answer as to why your customers hate PHL. :blink:

Folks....you are beating a dead horse! PIT will never get the service back that you are asking.
The days of PIT being "mecca" are done with. That title has been given to PHL and PHX.
Doug has said that PHL is the bread and butter of US and it will suceed. IT WILL take time, but i agree that it will prosper.
Every trip I work, I wish I was passing through PIT instead of PHL or CLT, but those days are over sadly. Please move on!

The above statement is true. I saw what happened when the brought back ITH, BGM and ELM. Since passengers couldn't connect to mainline flights going where they wanted to go, passenger loads were dismal.

Alleviating the problem at PHL requires not only moving Express flights to PIT but Mainline flights to top destinations to PIT as well. Since there is no plan to do so by Tempe, then there is no point in hoping it will happen.

Fixing PHL is going to take a lot more than removing payphones and fixing lounge chairs.