US Airways employee tried to hang himself

phlgreaser

Advanced
Mar 26, 2008
FINDLAY TWP.

Published: Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:18 PM EDT
A US Airways employee tried to hang himself inside a maintenance hangar at Pittsburgh International Airport around noon Tuesday, an airport spokeswoman said.

Spokeswoman JoAnn Jenny said two other US Airways employees discovered the man hanging from a makeshift noose inside the hangar and cut him down. The employee, who was not identified, was alert and breathing on his own after being cut down, Jenny said.

The employee was taken to Sewickley Valley Hospital after the incident, Jenny said.

US Airways, Pittsburgh International’s busiest carrier, would not provide further information about the incident Wednesday, but said it was “working with the employee and his family to ensure they receive all the care they need during this time.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/0...c7669111622.txt

Thank god he was found in time. My heart goes out to this person as well as their family, friends and co-workers.

There is nothing quite so gut wrenching as losing a friend or loved one to suicide.

Something has gone terribly wrong with this country....A company that has been twice bankrupt is paying executives in the tens of millions while lifelong employees are losing their hard earned retirements, being laid off or furloughed, and taking massive paycuts resulting in ruined lives and despair. I hope this individual can move on to a fulfilling life...

i sure hope that person gets well and be better than whatever or however he was prior. my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. i remember yrs ago when i was a youngster my dad (a delta css mgr)at the time went to a fellow employee's home and sadly found that the man had committed suicide due to a pending divorce at that time. very sad

It's really sad how many people that we all work with end up taking this road. I've worked with a few people that have taken their lives, and it really puts things into perspective.
We deal with each other for only a few hours a day and for some people, coming to work is a way of escaping something at home that's really troubling.
So smile at someone who looks down in the dumps, or give 'em a "Good Morning". Little things like that can make a big difference in someone's life at that moment.

For all we know, this guy could have outside issues other than US Airways that could have contributed to this decision he made.

I think in the interest of fairness, we should collect all of the evidence before blaming US Airways for a guy choosing to take his own life.

For all we know he could have picked the workplace because of the availability of rope and something to hang himself from. The rods in most closets won't suffice and the average home doesn't have a good place to hang yourself usually. The workplace could have just been an unfortunately convenient place to attempt suicide.

As long as we're on the subject, one should never put their self in a position where they cannot walk out of a job on a moment's notice. If you think you have no choice but to stay, then that's the wrong job for you. And staying is a personal choice. Leaving may require sacrifice, but a job is not worth taking your life over.

Disagree with Bobbie. They say suicide is a selfish act, so maybe it did have to do with the job. BOBBIE, are you aware that most PIT Maintenance employees will be without work in PIT as they downsize?

For all we know, this guy could have outside issues other than US Airways that could have contributed to this decision he made.

I think in the interest of fairness, we should collect all of the evidence before blaming US Airways for a guy choosing to take his own life.

For all we know he could have picked the workplace because of the availability of rope and something to hang himself from. The rods in most closets won't suffice and the average home doesn't have a good place to hang yourself usually. The workplace could have just been an unfortunately convenient place to attempt suicide.

As long as we're on the subject, one should never put their self in a position where they cannot walk out of a job on a moment's notice. If you think you have no choice but to stay, then that's the wrong job for you. And staying is a personal choice. Leaving may require sacrifice, but a job is not worth taking your life over.

Right Bobbie, closet rod don't work? Maybe he should have jumped out in front of a train or crashed his car head-on into a school bus and taken a few children?
Yes, I will go out a limb and say that a workplace suicide attempt is a message, don't pretend it isn't.

And how lofty of you to suggest that someone could walk away from a job that they may have been at for 25+ years. Jobs are a choice? Is eating, paying for your home and health insurance just another choice? Jobs are in short supply in PIT, If they are handing out new jobs on every street corner then I'd love to live in your land.

Latest posts