US Airways eyes ultra long haul

sundiego

Jan 26, 2007
US Airways is considering expanding its international network to include transpacific services from Philadelphia and transatlantic services from Phoenix.

The carrier is seeking rights to launch flights next year from its Philadelphia hub to Shanghai. If the US Department of Transportation approves its application over a rival bid from Delta Air Lines, which is proposing an Atlanta-Shanghai service, US Airways will acquire new widebodies capable of ultra long-haul flights.

The carrier's current fleet of Airbus A330 and Boeing 767 widebodies is not capable of operating flights to Asia from any of its hubs or to Europe from its Phoenix hub. The transatlantic operation of US Airways is now based in Philadelphia and in recent years has grown rapidly to include 19 cities in 12 European countries.

In addition to Philadelphia-Shanghai, possible routes which could be operated if US Airways acquires A340s or 777s include Philadelphia-Tel Aviv, Philadelphia-Tokyo and Phoenix-Frankfurt. But Vice-president financial analysis Dion Flannery acknowledges such an expansion may be risky: "It is up for discussion around the building."

US Airways, meanwhile, is extending its network to Asia through a new codeshare with Singapore Airlines.

US Airways wants to make Shanghai its first Asian destination

The carrier is seeking rights to launch flights next year from its Philadelphia hub to Shanghai. If the US Department of Transportation approves its application over a rival bid from Delta Air Lines, which is proposing an Atlanta-Shanghai service, US Airways will acquire new widebodies capable of ultra long-haul flights.
Don't forget AA, UAL, and NWA will all have applications pending as well.

And knowing the leadership of USAirways America West coach will have a "generous" seat pitch of 31 inches! And I can imagine the Buy On board food... $5 for a cup of Ramen Noodles! And that's for Envoy!

Ramen would be an improvement over that absolutely revolting 'chicken caesar sandwich'

I'm still confused. I'm not sure why this management team would try to expand the airline. They should be focused on shrinking the airline to lay more employees off.

I'm still confused. I'm not sure why this management team would try to expand the airline. They should be focused on shrinking the airline to lay more employees off.
No worries, that will happen when they expand the airline and offer a consistently bad inflight product to ensure the customers use the competition. If they think the LCC model will work on a transpacific flight, in excess of 14-15 hours, offering substandard service, they are stupid!

Here's hoping youre the first to go!!!!!! :up:

Happy Trails

I thought this was for the next operating certificate grant for 2009?

New frequencies will be awarded for March, 2008 (and then more in 2009 and 2010). Although a new entrant may be chosen, nothing requires that a new entrant be chosen. You can bet that AA, CO, UA and NW will apply along with US, DL and half a dozen others who won't stand a chance.

"US Airways eyes ultra long haul"

We can look all we want, but actually being capable of doing this is another story. Enjoy the view, because this will probably NEVER be a reality at this carrier.

Simply because the cannot run the routes they have to the satisfaction of the traveling public.

Amateurs in Tempe. Drunk ones at that.

No worries, that will happen when they expand the airline and offer a consistently bad inflight product to ensure the customers use the competition. If they think the LCC model will work on a transpacific flight, in excess of 14-15 hours, offering substandard service, they are stupid!

Stupid, or just willing to try something that worked 20 and 30 years ago?

During the 80's, People Express -- those 747's from EWR to LGW and BRU were consistently full. Likewise for the flights from LAX to HNL and PPT.

Likewise for Sir Freddie Laker's Skytrain in the 70's. It wasn't load factors that killed 'em -- it was predatory behavior from BA, PA, and TW.

So, I wouldn't write off the idea of trans-oceanic LCC service just yet.

LCC service may fly but will it accompany a LCC fare? We seem to be charging a bit much for what we offer as far as f/c. I don't think THAT will fly.