Us Airways Flight Attendants Demand Detailed Busin

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
WASHINGTON, Feb. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- US Airways flight attendants, represented by the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, AFL-CIO, unanimously passed a resolution in their Master Executive Council meeting on Thursday calling for a detailed business plan and demanding that airline management immediately improve its working relationship with labor.

Portions of US Airways new business plan were presented to union leaders on Feb. 11. While management has indicated they expect labor to participate in the new plan, they have not asked flight attendants for any specific cuts at this time.

"In order to move forward, we need detailed information on how management intends to turn this company around, including how all levels of management intend to participate in the sacrifices required by the new plan," said AFA US Airways Master Executive Council President Perry Hayes. "Bad management decisions are costing this airline millions. After two rounds of huge concessions to save this airline, the employees will not solely bear the brunt of management's continued inability to return this airline to profitability."

Labor management relations have been rapidly deteriorating at US Airways as management continues to violate the flight attendant contract and disrespect the workforce. In January, flight attendants won an expedited arbitration that forced the airline to reinstate 552 flight attendants who had been improperly furloughed. This was the third time management had attempted to improperly furlough flight attendants.

"The adversarial relationship management has created with workers has taken a serious toll on flight attendants' morale," Hayes said. "Management must learn to work with its valued employees and abide by our legally binding contract."

More than 45,000 flight attendants, including the 5,200 flight attendants at US Airways, join together to form AFA, the world's largest flight attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000 member strong Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO.

The text of the full resolution is below.

Whereas, the AFA MEC met with Senior Management on February 11, 2004, and heard aspects of a new business plan for US Airways, and,

Whereas, Senior Management gave every indication to the AFA MEC that flight attendant participation in some form would be expected, and,

Whereas, the Company's recent policy changes and continued violations of our collective bargaining agreement have negatively affected our members day- to-day life,

Whereas, the AFA MEC is committed to protecting the interests of its members,

Therefore, be it resolved, that the AFA MEC demands that management work proactively to improve working relationships with labor, and,

Be it further resolved that the AFA MEC requests that US Airways management provide the AFA MEC with a detailed business plan, and,

Be it further resolved that the AFA MEC requests that US Airways management provide the AFA MEC with a detailed proposal outlining the Company's expectation on the level of participation from the flight attendants in the employ of US Airways, and,

Be it further resolved that the AFA MEC demands that US Airways management advise the AFA MEC and its members how all levels of management intend to participate in any sacrifices to enhance the profitability of the Company, and,

Be it finally resolved that the AFA MEC is committed to exploring any viable options that will assure future job security for our members as well as assure the long-term survival of our Company

The bottom line here? Were ready if youll be alittle nicer and show us the full plan ! Its about all they or any other of our labor unions can say now......Hopefully a move in the right direction!

usfliboi said:
The bottom line here? Were ready if youll be alittle nicer and show us the full plan ! Its about all they or any other of our labor unions can say now......Hopefully a move in the right direction!
And THAT direction will be dictated from this membership, and they will give their leadership direction to go to the table or not.

They will have to be told the business plan and what management's expectation is in proposing exactly what it is they seek from our group.

MORALE is going to be a huge obstacle for this management especially if they wish to have the flight attendants supoort any business plan. Most flight attendant don't care about a business plan EXCEPT for how that business plan will impact their day to day working life.

That FIX needs to come from this management not the union leadership.

Management will also have to outline what exactly their contribution in sacrifices will be to this new plan. NO EXCUSES; and in real terms.

PITbull said:
And THAT direction will be dictated from this membership, and they will give their leadership direction to go to the table or not.

They will have to be told the business plan and what management's expectation is in proposing exactly what it is they seek from our group.

MORALE is going to be a huge obstacle for this management especially if they wish to have the flight attendants supoort any business plan. Most flight attendant don't care about a business plan EXCEPT for how that business plan will impace their day to day working life.

Management will also have to outline what exactly their contribution in sacrifices will be to this new plan. NO EXCUSES; and in real terms.
your wish is my command

PITbull said:

MORALE is going to be a huge obstacle for this management especially if they wish to have the flight attendants supoort any business plan. Most flight attendant don't care about a business plan EXCEPT for how that business plan will impact their day to day working life.

Pit bull I admire your ummm Stamina! I can tell you there will be talks and there will be a vote from our membership. You forget there are thousands of us who obviously dont like what has happened but also know its not all this managements fault. Its one thing to talk but another when it comes down to our livelihoods. There will be talks. There will be a vote. Our leaders can only bark now, Plain and simple. Like every other union we can only stand our ground behind the line in the sand that our union leaders have drawn again and again. I know and you know there will be give backs. Were not all so blind that we dont know that some give backs from management and front liners has to be given. Its one thing to have bad morale as we have today but the morale we would have if this airline ever goes belly up will be much worse. Our group is a smart group and can figure it out. They have and will like they always h ave with out union influence.

PIT flight attendants voted down the winter restructuring agreement, by majority, in the face of the threat of liquidation. PHL vote was only 67 votes more "against" than "FOR". At the time, the f/as didn't even endure what was ahead. Now, they have along with co. new policies that brutilize the employees and beat down their morale. The margin is narrowing.

Hope you have a resume ready. WE are NOT the pilots. We have met our threshold.

Management MUST change their tactics of managing employees, or there will be no company. Take heed, my friend. You need to start talking to mangement about mending some shattered fences with our group and the rest of labor.

In my opinion, the Flight Attendants will come to the table. However, if they do not they could see some painful changes implemented with "me too" clauses, pension termination, and significant grievance issues.

Moreover, there is not much the AFA will be able to do to stop the process.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Sorry, flyboi, I do not :down: :down: :down: :down: know where you are coming from. Never have, regardless, I am on the front line day to day (that is if if can fly) and I can tell you this much. Yes we want our jobs, Most of us NEED our jobs, but MOST of us would rather this company close it's doors than to give ONE MORE CONCESSION. Where ever you have been, I really don't know nor care, but you obviosely have not been talking to your fellow co-workers. The concession stand is closed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ktflyhome said:
Sorry, flyboi, I do not :down: :down: :down: :down: know where you are coming from. Never have, regardless, I am on the front line day to day (that is if if can fly) and I can tell you this much. Yes we want our jobs, Most of us NEED our jobs, but MOST of us would rather this company close it's doors than to give ONE MORE CONCESSION. Where ever you have been, I really don't know nor care, but you obviosely have not been talking to your fellow co-workers. The concession stand is closed.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ill assume your PIT as well and it all makes sense. Im sorry from my stand point KITTY im on the front line every day back and forth to the west coast from clt. I see and i hear the disgust and anger, however I do not hear the "tag lines" you spouting. The concession stand isnt closed and first and foremost we lease not own ! Get my drift? You obviously do not need a job or your all bark one. Any one with the common sense to say off the wall comments like the above doesnt need nor wants a job. Im glad your in the minority or we would truely be looking for jobs.

usfliboi said:
Ill assume your PIT as well and it all makes sense. Im sorry from my stand point KITTY im on the front line every day back and forth to the west coast from clt. I see and i hear the disgust and anger, however I do not hear the "tag lines" you spouting. The concession stand isnt closed and first and foremost we lease not own ! Get my drift? You obviously do not need a job or your all bark one. Any one with the common sense to say off the wall comments like the above doesnt need nor wants a job. Im glad your in the minority or we would truely be looking for jobs.
USfliboi,

Your words are filled with ignorance. You must be in management out of CLT with those buttercups that don't say "boo". Hope they can help you out and carry the vote that would be needed to save you. Cause if you lost your job over your miscalculation...."well, I would just hate that for you"

A320,

Let me make this ever so clear for your small mind...AFA HAS NOT CONCEDED TO JACK. The "me toos" with the rigs only translate to a 3% penalty for this company. Totally insignificant in reducing costs in this arena. Penalty years ago were as high as 15%-20%. The computer optimizer took care of that.

You need to work on mangement, and AFA will work on Bronner/bonehead. WE ARE NOT THE PILOTS, and when AFA meet this "guy", they will let him know that we are NOT in the wage catagory of the pilots, and our threshold has been met from the Winter, and we are still enduring it, with no recovery in site. Wait for pref bid to kick in.....whoa!

There you go again with your wonderful name calling. Its so becoming. Afa will talk and already has told management its opinin about morale and giving! HOWEVER Perry and company will not stick their head in the sand. There are ways to talk and give and take without all the hu bub ! It will happen Plain and simple maybe not in pit but hey its expected.....BTW theres nothing wrong with the pref bidding system. If implemented it will be similar to what we had at Piedmont only computers will be the source instead of paper. I for one dont have a problem with it. Well my small mind needs to get back to learning my ABC'S... BTW Once again thanks for the insults it adds to your my personal knowledge .

USfliboi,

Let me make this simple.

The reason why all the union leaderships are resistant and reluctant to sit down with this managment is because there is no real negotiations. Management already has a set agenda and they expect you just to go there. If you don't, the threats enter "stage right".

Management has a history to allow you to go through the exercise of negotiations as a "feel good" for the union and its members, but in the end....THEY TAKE ALL.That's been my experience and I am not feeling "tingley" all over to do it again.

With our specific labor group, and in retrospect, we should have not signed on the dotted line and let the bk judge abrogate. Then, we would have had and opportunity to either accept the judge's ruling or strike.

Now, managment is coming after all of it. 40 years of language.

I can truly empathizse with how you feel and your fear, but just putting your butt on a jumpseat is not enough to sustain you if when you go home, the creditors are after you. You maybe not quite in that position, but many, many are, and I hear it all day long. It is very real.

Absent management telling the members that the negotiations will be different with no threats at the table....I will resist at all cost. You may think that that is the wrong decision, and bending over is always the position to take because you feel helpless and not in control, but I will be able to sleep at night knowing I had the courage to fight back against Corporate greed the corporate establishement of "raiders". Living by your "belief system" is more important than any job anyone can take, in my mind's eye. And telling, as well as showing your children that no one should control your destiny. Freedom is more important than living.

Wars have been fought over it.