US Airways Goes It Alone On Transatlantic

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://www.businesstravelnews.com/Worldwide-Travel/With-JV-Participation-On-Hold,-US-Airways-Goes-It-Alone-On-Transatlantic/?ida=Airlines&a=tra

I'm sure that someone will find what is bad about this...

Well, first off it sounds like US has decided that they aren't going to be invited to the JV ATI party so might as well make the best of the crumbs that fall of that table...

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
So much has been made about these "Joint Venture/Anti-Trust" operations and really what's the Big Deal anyways? Does ANYONE (even the 'enlightened one, World Traveller) really believe that the Justice Department would EVER ALLOW STAR Alliance to include US over The Atlantic without M-A-J-O-R objection and interference from the two competing Alliances of ONEWORLD or SKYTEAM? I think NOT! There is a reason Why STAR pushed for UA/CO to be included on the JV before their merger because they knew they would never get the approval later. Let's not forget the Justice Department was the entity that was more than likely NOT going to allow the reputed merger of US and UA initially without MAJOR carve outs, yet they had 'no issues' when approving DL/NWA, UA/CO and WN/airTran. The US bashers fail to remember that US and UA code share on almost EVERY domestic flight segment and as long as US remains in STAR, I highly doubt that will ever change. US and AirCanada do Not Code Share on Transborder Flights as far as I know but that doesn't mean you do not see their respective pax on each others flights by virtue of the STAR Alliance connection. Alliances are important in Todays world and Code Shares can be beneficial "IF" it makes sense but SHOULD an airline code share on a route where they get minimal demand. I think the answer is a resounding NO.

Reactions: 2 people