US Airways has chosen to stand against the American people ….

Do you agree with Doug Parker that Arizona should stop fighting illegal immgration ?

• yes

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • no

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters

freedom

Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
My fellow co-workers , it is with the greatest displeasure that I must inform you that our companies management has lost it’s nerve , not to mention it’s good sense and taken a political position that over 75 % of Americans disagree with ..

This letter was sent to my state’s senate ….

Chamber of Commerce

Senator Russell Pearce, Senate President
Arizona State Senate
1700 W Washington, Room S-205
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Dear President Pearce,

Thank you for your willingness to serve Arizona as a Member of the Arizona State Senate. We, like you, are concerned about the challenges facing our State, particularly the need to address our structural deficit and insure an economic environment that attracts and retains high quality jobs.

While we recognize the desire for states like Arizona to fill the leadership vacuum left by federal inaction on immigration, we strongly believe it is unwise for the Legislature to pass any additional immigration legislation, including any measures leaving the determination of citizenship to the state.

We agree with you that our borders must be protected first, and now. We also believe that market-driven immigration policies can and should be developed by the federal government that will sustain America’s status as a magnet for the world’s most talented and hard-working people and preserve our ability to compete in the global economy.
If the Legislature believes it is worthwhile to debate the question of citizenship, we believe that debate is best held in the U.S. Congress. Already, Senators David Vitter of Louisiana and Rand Paul of Kentucky have introduced legislation aimed at amending the 14th Amendment to deny “birthright citizenship” to those born to individuals living in the U.S. illegally. Iowa Rep. Steve King has introduced similar legislation in the U.S. House.
Arizona’s lawmakers and citizens are right to be concerned about illegal immigration. But we must acknowledge that when Arizona goes it alone on this issue, unintended consequences inevitably occur. Last year, boycotts were called against our state’s business community, adversely impacting our already-struggling economy and costing us jobs. Arizona-based businesses saw contracts cancelled or were turned away from bidding. Sales outside of the state declined. Even a business which merely had “Arizona” in its name felt the effects of the boycotts, compelling them to launch an educational campaign about their company’s roots in Brooklyn. It is an undeniable fact that each of our companies and our employees were impacted by the boycotts and the coincident negative image.

Tourism, one of our state’s largest industries and employment centers, also suffered from negative perceptions after the passage of SB 1070. The fact Governor Brewer directed $250,000 to repairing Arizona’s reputation strongly suggests these efforts – whether fair or unfair - are harmful to our image.

Let us be clear: our dissension with legislative action on the state level does not translate to our being “pro-illegal immigration.” To the contrary, we believe Congress must address border security, identity theft, sound and implementable employment verification systems and policies and the creation of a meaningful guest worker program. Therefore, we urge the Legislature to redirect its energy by joining us in pressing the federal government for meaningful immigration reform. Together, we can get results.

Respectfully,

The letter goes on to name the CEO’s who have signed off on this letter , Doug Parker is among them ..

To those of you not familiar with the political situation in the state , we are battling illegal immigration with everything we’ve got .. Hundreds of thousands of people are flooding in each and every year taking jobs , committing crimes , over burdening our schools , jails and putting strains on our health care system so severe that many of our border hospitals have simply gone out of business …

Our state is doing everything it possibly can in the face of complete and utter federal inaction … is it unfortunate that my state representatives have had to take matters into their own hands and passed some of the most stringent anti illegal immigration laws in the country ? It sure is ,… but the reality is that no one else is doing ANYTHING … meanwhile millions of Americans are unemployed while millions of undocumented workers continue to pull down paychecks …. to illustrate my point I want all of you to read this article about illegal immigrants caught at several local pei way restaurants ..

pei way closed due to lack of workers

After the raids , over 120 jobs were freed for AMERICAN citizens to support themselves ….

I think Mr Parker that you do not understand what it’s like to live in a world where not everyone makes a million dollars a year and their children don’t have to even CONSIDER working at a restaurant or fast food location .. I bet your not even aware that teenage unemployment is at it’s highest levels since record keeping began

I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN , and I will do whatever it takes to ensure that OUR PEOPLE can find employment in AMERICA , AMERICAN’S come first ….

While our company requires stringent background checks due to our Federal nature ( FAA etc ) many of the other companies on that list do not … I wonder how many of them are employing illegal immigrants at this very moment ..

There WILL be more boycotts Mr Parker , the entrenched interests in the opposition are not just going to leave our country because we have asked nicely …. They will scream racism , they will scream injustice , they will demand boycotts , they will do whatever it takes in order to continue to hold down jobs that belong to Americans , and consume resources that could be better spent taking care of citizens ..

You are of course the leader of this company , at the end of the day YOU get to make the calls on which direction we go in … but even though I am one person , I am one person among many and I will not forsake my country in it’s hour of need …

Reactions: 4 people
I worry more about heavily-armed, crazy white men than I do illegal immigrants, but that's just me.. :blink: ..On the topic at hand, what they letter's signers are trying to say is that xenophobic anti-immigrant laws portray Arizona in a poor light, which can hurt Arizona's businesses. They are correct.

Reactions: 3 people
I worry more about heavily-armed, crazy white men than I do illegal immigrants, but that's just me.. :blink: ..On the topic at hand, what they letter's signers are trying to say is that xenophobic anti-immigrant laws portray Arizona in a poor light, which can hurt Arizona's businesses. They are correct.

well if i were you , i wouldn't worry so much about the "crazy white men " your far more likely to be harmed by an illegal alien who's driving while under the influence ... many people are killed that way each year in my state ...

that's funny , i don't recall anything in our new laws that pertains to LEGAL immigrants ..

xenophbia would be the case if we were making blanket statments like ALL immigrants should leave our state , instead we are targeting those people who didn't bother to come here the right way ..

i guess because MONEY comes into play , we shouldn't stand up for our country .... we should just allow millions upon millions of people to just roll in and set up shop ... what's that , you can't find a hospital because they've all closed ? no worries , we will just have to tax legal citizens more to pay for those services ..

Reactions: 4 people
This reminds me somewhat of Michael Jordan when asked to jump into the political arena and he replied, "Republicans buy shoes too." Pretty close to Doctor Pepper theoretrically saying in the letter, "Illegal workers, their legal status famillies and Latinos buy airline tickets too!"

As Arizona is the center of illegal immigration controversy which happens to be the headquarters of US Airways, not to mention, a large Hispanic population, it would be expected the CEO of the aforementioned airline to take a stand which does not offend a large number of people in the southwest part of the nation.

So Analyzes Jester.

Reactions: 1 person
First of all, what part of I L L E G A L doesn't everyone get? That means if you are an illegal alien you don't belong here, period. If you want to come to the US do it legally.

I have no objection to immigration as long as it is done legally- after all, MOST of us would not be here today without some form of legal immigration. That said, however, we have to stop people who have no business being here in the first place from tricking the system and getting benefits without paying their share.

What many people don't know is the state of Missouri has taken a different approach to illegal immigration, and I believe the number of illegals in Missouri is very low. Below is a piece sent to me by a friend...I invite you all to read and comment....

Missouri 's approach to the problem of illegal immigration appears to be more advanced, sophisticated, strict and effective than anything to date in Arizona .

So, why doesn't Missouri receive attention?

Answer: There are no Mexican illegal’s in Missouri to demonstrate.

In 2007, Missouri placed on the ballot a proposed constitutional amendment designating English as the official language of Missouri .

In November, 2008, nearly 90% voting in favor! Thus English became the official language for ALL governmental activity in Missouri .

No individual has the right to demand government services in a language OTHER than English.

In 2008 a measure was passed that required the Missouri Highway Patrol and other law enforcement officials to verify the immigration status of any person arrested, and inform federal authorities if the person is found to be in Missouri illegally. Missouri law enforcement offices receive specific training with respect to enforcement of federal immigration laws.

In Missouri illegal immigrants do NOT have access to taxpayers benefits such as food stamps and health care through Missouri HealthNET.

In 2009 a measure was passed that ensures Missouri 's public institutions of higher education do NOT award financial aid to individuals who are illegally in the United States ..

In Missouri all post-secondary institutions of higher education to annually certify to the Missouri Dept. of Higher Education that they have NOT knowingly awarded financial aid to students who are unlawfully present in the United States.

So while Arizona has made national news for its new law, it is important to remember Missouri has been far more proactive in addressing this horrific problem.

Missouri has made it clear that illegal immigrants are NOT welcome in the state and they will certainly NOT receive public benefits at the expense of Missouri taxpayers.

Here is the link to confirm: Be sure to read the readers’ comments too. Link is SAFE to Open

http://www.ozarkssentinel.com/missouri-ahead-of-the-game-in-dealing-with-illegal-immigrants-p1034.htm

Reactions: 6 people
I am more concerned about those that need their "freedom fries" and receive their info from Flob Spews. Eventually, but probably sooner than later the boarders will be removed between canada and mexico anyway.

The real threat is mass assassination of the population by paperwork, ie. laws and regulations. This method not only serves to keep the population dumbed down, but also makes sure people remain insular and divided against one another. When will you ever learn that the bar for "ILLEGAL" moves up and down and sometimes disappears completely. I'm not as concerned about a drunk illegal as I am an evil man conducting mass crimes against humanity - and btw, most of these people (and I use the word loosely) are white males.

Just like anything else in question the real answer always comes down to money. As a very conservative estimate Arizona has 600,000 illegal immigrants in the state, thats more than the population of Cleveland Ohio! Doug doesn't want to loose that revenue even if it does mean looking the other way. Sad indeed.

Just like anything else in question the real answer always comes down to money. As a very conservative estimate Arizona has 600,000 illegal immigrants in the state, thats more than the population of Cleveland Ohio! Doug doesn't want to loose that revenue even if it does mean looking the other way. Sad indeed.
How did this forum become a platform for political debates.................who cares everyone????? Why can't you just be happy to have a job and go home at night to your families and get over all of this????

My fellow co-workers , it is with the greatest displeasure that I must inform you that our companies management has lost it’s nerve , not to mention it’s good sense and taken a political position that over 75 % of Americans disagree with ..

This letter was sent to my state’s senate ….

Chamber of Commerce

Senator Russell Pearce, Senate President
Arizona State Senate
1700 W Washington, Room S-205
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Dear President Pearce,

Thank you for your willingness to serve Arizona as a Member of the Arizona State Senate. We, like you, are concerned about the challenges facing our State, particularly the need to address our structural deficit and insure an economic environment that attracts and retains high quality jobs.

While we recognize the desire for states like Arizona to fill the leadership vacuum left by federal inaction on immigration, we strongly believe it is unwise for the Legislature to pass any additional immigration legislation, including any measures leaving the determination of citizenship to the state.

We agree with you that our borders must be protected first, and now. We also believe that market-driven immigration policies can and should be developed by the federal government that will sustain America’s status as a magnet for the world’s most talented and hard-working people and preserve our ability to compete in the global economy.
If the Legislature believes it is worthwhile to debate the question of citizenship, we believe that debate is best held in the U.S. Congress. Already, Senators David Vitter of Louisiana and Rand Paul of Kentucky have introduced legislation aimed at amending the 14th Amendment to deny “birthright citizenship” to those born to individuals living in the U.S. illegally. Iowa Rep. Steve King has introduced similar legislation in the U.S. House.
Arizona’s lawmakers and citizens are right to be concerned about illegal immigration. But we must acknowledge that when Arizona goes it alone on this issue, unintended consequences inevitably occur. Last year, boycotts were called against our state’s business community, adversely impacting our already-struggling economy and costing us jobs. Arizona-based businesses saw contracts cancelled or were turned away from bidding. Sales outside of the state declined. Even a business which merely had “Arizona” in its name felt the effects of the boycotts, compelling them to launch an educational campaign about their company’s roots in Brooklyn. It is an undeniable fact that each of our companies and our employees were impacted by the boycotts and the coincident negative image.

Tourism, one of our state’s largest industries and employment centers, also suffered from negative perceptions after the passage of SB 1070. The fact Governor Brewer directed $250,000 to repairing Arizona’s reputation strongly suggests these efforts – whether fair or unfair - are harmful to our image.

Let us be clear: our dissension with legislative action on the state level does not translate to our being “pro-illegal immigration.” To the contrary, we believe Congress must address border security, identity theft, sound and implementable employment verification systems and policies and the creation of a meaningful guest worker program. Therefore, we urge the Legislature to redirect its energy by joining us in pressing the federal government for meaningful immigration reform. Together, we can get results.

Respectfully,

The letter goes on to name the CEO’s who have signed off on this letter , Doug Parker is among them ..

To those of you not familiar with the political situation in the state , we are battling illegal immigration with everything we’ve got .. Hundreds of thousands of people are flooding in each and every year taking jobs , committing crimes , over burdening our schools , jails and putting strains on our health care system so severe that many of our border hospitals have simply gone out of business …

Our state is doing everything it possibly can in the face of complete and utter federal inaction … is it unfortunate that my state representatives have had to take matters into their own hands and passed some of the most stringent anti illegal immigration laws in the country ? It sure is ,… but the reality is that no one else is doing ANYTHING … meanwhile millions of Americans are unemployed while millions of undocumented workers continue to pull down paychecks …. to illustrate my point I want all of you to read this article about illegal immigrants caught at several local pei way restaurants ..

pei way closed due to lack of workers

After the raids , over 120 jobs were freed for AMERICAN citizens to support themselves ….

I think Mr Parker that you do not understand what it’s like to live in a world where not everyone makes a million dollars a year and their children don’t have to even CONSIDER working at a restaurant or fast food location .. I bet your not even aware that teenage unemployment is at it’s highest levels since record keeping began

I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN , and I will do whatever it takes to ensure that OUR PEOPLE can find employment in AMERICA , AMERICAN’S come first ….

While our company requires stringent background checks due to our Federal nature ( FAA etc ) many of the other companies on that list do not … I wonder how many of them are employing illegal immigrants at this very moment ..

There WILL be more boycotts Mr Parker , the entrenched interests in the opposition are not just going to leave our country because we have asked nicely …. They will scream racism , they will scream injustice , they will demand boycotts , they will do whatever it takes in order to continue to hold down jobs that belong to Americans , and consume resources that could be better spent taking care of citizens ..

You are of course the leader of this company , at the end of the day YOU get to make the calls on which direction we go in … but even though I am one person , I am one person among many and I will not forsake my country in it’s hour of need …

Freedom,

I understand your concern about illegal immigrants taking jobs from US citizens. We have plenty of them in NC.

However, I don't think DP is wrong on this issue. Just my opinion. This issue is so complex and delicate.

If we as a nation hadn't been battling this huge banking crisis over the last few years, more resources would have been spent taking better care of this. And from what I've been reading....we have less illegals now because our economy is so bad.

No one wants you or anyone else to forsake their nation. I applaud your effort. But please keep in mind that this is a nation of immigrants or the sons and daughters of immigrants. As a nation, we welcome all. It's no wonder that people risk everything to be here.

It's hard getting a "green card" here. I, for one, don't know the answers but hitting a fly with a sledgehammer isn't the answer.

IMHO

How did this forum become a platform for political debates.................who cares everyone????? Why can't you just be happy to have a job and go home at night to your families and get over all of this????

Never fails to have someone always post a "who cares..be glad you have a job" remark. Do you live in Arizona to understand the severity of the situation here? I do and the rants are just!!

Run Ron Run

Doug Parker couldn't carry Ron Paul's jock strap when it it comes to honor and integrity. Two things that will prevent Ron Paul from ever being POTUS

That Old Black magic has a way of hitting you :D

Freedom,

I understand your concern about illegal immigrants taking jobs from US citizens. We have plenty of them in NC.

However, I don't think DP is wrong on this issue. Just my opinion. This issue is so complex and delicate.

If we as a nation hadn't been battling this huge banking crisis over the last few years, more resources would have been spent taking better care of this. And from what I've been reading....we have less illegals now because our economy is so bad.

No one wants you or anyone else to forsake their nation. I applaud your effort. But please keep in mind that this is a nation of immigrants or the sons and daughters of immigrants. As a nation, we welcome all. It's no wonder that people risk everything to be here.

It's hard getting a "green card" here. I, for one, don't know the answers but hitting a fly with a sledgehammer isn't the answer.

IMHO

I understand your sentiment , and I don’t want you to think that I’m anti-immigrant , I think we can all recognize that most of us had relatives that originated from other countries and then came here ..

Legal immigration is one of our nations greatest strengths , new people bring new culture , new thoughts and fresh blood , they keep us strong .. But like anything else , moderation is important .. Each year the united states brings in something like one MILLION legal immigrants so I don’t think anyone can say that by clamping down on illegal immigration we’re somehow shutting the door ..

While I can understand the plight of those who wish to come here , we can’t simply throw open our borders and invite the over one billion people who live in poverty into our country .. We have our own culture and citizens to nurture and protect , that’s why this fight over illegal immigration is only going to get worse as times grow harder ( bad economy as you point out )…

I’d like to think of myself as a compassionate person , but even my compassion has limits when I see our teenagers unemployed because illegal immigrants are holding down those jobs for life … It also bothers me deeply that so many people who aren’t suppose to be here are taking advantage of every social service they can get without remorse and in some cases using out right fraud to qualify for programs that are meant to help lower income Americans . And legal residents .

I once had a good long talk with the former state treasure of Arizona Dean Martin , he explained to me that with certainty the biggest cost overrun in the state was due to illegal immigrants accessing our health services ..In 2010 the governor of my state actually had to stop adding people to AHCCCS ( state program to help lower income Americans with medical bills ) because we just don’t have the money …

We have a problem , we have to deal with it , the longer we wait the more Americans end up hurt .