US Airways' International Fleet Plan & Growth Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways’ A330-200 delivery schedule will add 17 widebody’s to the inventory during the next 3 years. With the company’s decision to add these aircraft to the fleet count and refurbish the B767s the widebody year-end fleet plans will be:

2007 – 19
2008 – 19
2009 – 25
2010 – 31
2011 – 36

In addition, the company will continue to operate B757 ETOPS aircraft on long thin routes to Europe and Hawaii.

The primary international focus will be to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, China , and Japan with potential new service to South America. Most of this expansion will be flown from PHL; however, PHX and CLT could get new service. The only new 2008 destination will be London Heathrow.

With all of the problems in PHL, the company believes it is the right location on the East Coast for international growth, with its strong domestic feed and business demand. And, just a word about PHL in terms of East Coast business high density markets (which is a fancy way of saying a lot of people live and travel to and from this airport). PHL, DCA and NYC are the three most important European gateways. The company believes it is fortunate to have a big presence in PHL because it’s very profitable and a very valuable part of US Airways’ business model.

The company further indicated that from PHX new service could be flown to London , Frankfurt and Tokyo but, new PHX long haul service is not likely prior to 2010 and it will require an A330-200 or A350.

From CLT the LGW and FRA service does well, existing PHL destinations in Europe are being looked at, and there is potential for new South American service.

Summary

The company’s international growth will be the core focus in 2009/10/11. The domestic market is mature and growth will be slow if not negative (due to the pending recession and energy prices).

The company’s revised fleet plan for the mainline is now in place.

In summary the company’s network growth strategy will center primarily on international growth because the domestic marketplace is simply pretty full as it stands now (or what management calls “matureâ€). The company believes we will not be adding any new point-to-point domestic service, the hub and spoke network is the best model, and we will add widebody airplanes to facilitate international growth.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

President Scott Kirby has said there Int'l growth will be up 15-20% on out. Cuz "US" has no presence at the moment. So it is good way to off set the "mature" or low domestic earnings. But in the past 2 years they have made pretty good profits. That is why they are ordering all the widebody planes.

But who will do the MX?

And the source of this update is ...... ?

Who needs a source? This is pretty much what everybody on this message board has been saying one way or another. This should come as no surprise to anyone. Thanks USA. It's a nice summary of what most of us have speculated all along.

Line MTC is done in-house and the overhaul on the widebodies is outsourced.

I thought that US will classify flights from, TUS, ELP, SAN as International Flights, being so close to the Border!

OK Now seriously, Markets not Served, that Should be looked at, in no order.
EUROPE
Berlin
Copenhagen
Oslo
Warsaw
Moscow
Prague
Vienna
Birmingham
Hamburg
SOUTH AMERICA
Rio de Janerio
Sao Paulo
Buenes "Noches" Ares
Lima
ASIA
Tokyo
Hong Kong
Any India City (that has a paved runway)(They now are getting cheap cars, now they can get "Cheap Flights" Not in fares but amenities)
Tel Aviv ( Not sure what continent it is on)

First they need to get the planes, and sitting on those " New Blue Glad Bags" seats isn't the way. Maybe US should buy some of UPS or Fed Ex's Wide bodies, no need to put seats in, they can revolutionize flying again, "the Standing Seats". Something like a stand up roller coaster. Oh, I shouldn't give Tempe any ideas. I should trademark that so I can make a few bucks! :up: :up:

Line MTC is done in-house and the overhaul on the widebodies is outsourced.
That's It! India will have the next Int'l after China. If they are going to outsource, why not supply them with the aircraft. "Look Mommy, we are going to, Mumbai, oh crap, on that POS?" and Mom replies, " Yes Junior we are, but I heard that they put an extra case of Duct Tape on the plane for the flight". :lol:

US Airways’ A330-200 delivery schedule will add 17 widebody’s to the inventory during the next 3 years. With the company’s decision to add these aircraft to the fleet count and refurbish the B767s the widebody year-end fleet plans will be:

2007 – 19
2008 – 19
2009 – 25
2010 – 31
2011 – 36

In addition, the company will continue to operate B757 ETOPS aircraft on long thin routes to Europe and Hawaii.

The primary international focus will be to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, China , and Japan with potential new service to South America. Most of this expansion will be flown from PHL; however, PHX and CLT could get new service. The only new 2008 destination will be London Heathrow.

With all of the problems in PHL, the company believes it is the right location on the East Coast for international growth, with its strong domestic feed and business demand. And, just a word about PHL in terms of East Coast business high density markets (which is a fancy way of saying a lot of people live and travel to and from this airport). PHL, DCA and NYC are the three most important European gateways. The company believes it is fortunate to have a big presence in PHL because it’s very profitable and a very valuable part of US Airways’ business model.

The company further indicated that from PHX new service could be flown to London , Frankfurt and Tokyo but, new PHX long haul service is not likely prior to 2010 and it will require an A330-200 or A350.

From CLT the LGW and FRA service does well, existing PHL destinations in Europe are being looked at, and there is potential for new South American service.

Summary

The company’s international growth will be the core focus in 2009/10/11. The domestic market is mature and growth will be slow if not negative (due to the pending recession and energy prices).

The company’s revised fleet plan for the mainline is now in place.

In summary the company’s network growth strategy will center primarily on international growth because the domestic marketplace is simply pretty full as it stands now (or what management calls “matureâ€). The company believes we will not be adding any new point-to-point domestic service, the hub and spoke network is the best model, and we will add widebody airplanes to facilitate international growth.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Thanks this is a pretty accurate post.

what happened to the McBoeBus MBA-1000XLR plane we had on order to fly our Exclusive CHINA route?

1365.jpg

Great plan eh?

What isn't mentioned is what will happen here if the teenagers in tempe don't start running the airline. Plans are fine but putting something on paper and following through on it are two different things. They're already backpedaling on China.

This won't see the light of day. With more consolidation coming and the pathetic operation the teenagers run expect to see routes and jets sold to other airlines who can operate them with in a professional, orderly manner. In fact, my prediction is that many pieces of LCC will be sold including the shuttle and European operation.

What will be left here is a ton of rat jets feeding two hubs (CLT and PHX) with a network of Caribbean and transcon destinations served by narrow body airbuses.

And I think this plan is one not being put out there for anyone to see.

But in the past 2 years they have made pretty good profits. That is why they are ordering all the widebody planes.
The profits are already on a downhill spiral. Let's hope they recover some this Summer. The widebodies, at least 10 332's, were ordered long before the merger. The company was smart to keep those orders firm through the BKs.

India needs nonstop service from the US to HYD (Hydrabad). The only way to get there from the US is via FRA on LH. I work with/have worked with so many people from that part of India that complain about the lack of connections or difficulty in getting to parts of India that are not near BOM (Mumbai).

I thought that US will classify flights from, TUS, ELP, SAN as International Flights, being so close to the Border!

EUROPE
Berlin
Copenhagen
Oslo
Warsaw
Moscow
Prague
Vienna
Birmingham
Hamburg
SOUTH AMERICA
Rio de Janerio
Sao Paulo
Buenes "Noches" Ares
Lima
ASIA
Tokyo
Hong Kong
Any India City (that has a paved runway)(They now are getting cheap cars, now they can get "Cheap Flights" Not in fares but amenities)

I agree with this list completely, except I would add.

Dusseldorf
Warsaw
St. Petersburg (Russia :) ) <- Why doesn't any US carrier fly there?
Seoul
Santiago
Caracas
Panama City (Panama :) )

EUROPE
Berlin
Copenhagen
Oslo
Warsaw
Moscow
Prague
Vienna
Birmingham
Hamburg
SOUTH AMERICA
Rio de Janerio
Sao Paulo
Buenes "Noches" Ares
Lima
ASIA
Tokyo
Hong Kong

First they need to get the planes, and sitting on those " New Blue Glad Bags" seats isn't the way. Maybe US should buy some of UPS or Fed Ex's Wide bodies, no need to put seats in, they can revolutionize flying again, "the Standing Seats". Something like a stand up roller coaster. Oh, I shouldn't give Tempe any ideas. I should trademark that so I can make a few bucks! :up: :up:

I agree with this list completely, except I would add.

Dusseldorf
Warsaw
St. Petersburg (Russia :) ) <- Why doesn't any US carrier fly there?
Seoul
Santiago
Caracas
Panama City (Panama :) )

These kinds of posts are somewhat silly. This is pretty much a laundry list of almost every significant city in the civilized or not-so-civilized world that US doesn't already serve. I guess we could round out the list by adding Cairo, Tehran, Jakarta, Nairobi (sp?), Dehli, Osaka, Manila, etc. And, domestically speaking, while we're making silly lists, why not throw in HKY, ISO, INT, CSG, MCN, ANB, BTR, SOP, PIE, APF, YNG, EVV, PAH, SBN, ACY, MSN, FNT, DAN, ORH, EEN, CBE, VLD, TUP, PIB, MEI, MBS, BQK, HUF, MTH and LBE? Those cities could use a few widebodies too, other than the ones working at Wal Mart.

And where does one produce the aircraft for this sort of thing? I guess we could un-mothball the BAE-146s, strap an extra fuel tank to the top, and reconfig with 1.5F/200Y so it would make money? The 0.5 F seat is for Art when he uses his Chairman's Preferred upgrades.