US Airways lands lowest satisfaction ratings in flier survey

skynews

Feb 4, 2008
US Airways lands lowest satisfaction ratings in flier survey
CNN
By Ashley Strickland, Special to CNN US Airways received the lowest marks for cabin-crew service in a Consumer Reports survey. (CNN) -- A new Consumer Reports survey reveals that air travelers want comfort without emptying their wallets

US Airways landed at the bottom of the list for overall satisfaction, also receiving the lowest marks for cabin-crew service. The airline was also ranked lowest in 2007, when the last Consumer Reports airline rankings were released.

A US Airways spokesman questioned the methodology of the Consumer Reports survey and pointed out a 70 percent improvement in baggage delivery since 2007. The airline scored a 61 out of 100 in overall satisfaction on the Consumer Reports scale. Scores above 60 mean those surveyed were "fairly well satisfied," according to the ratings guide.

Southwest Airlines topped the rankings for overall satisfaction, with JetBlue Airways coming in second in the survey of nearly 15,000 passengers.

JetBlue and Southwest also scored highest in seat comfort. The remaining eight of the 10 airlines scored low marks for comfort.

Baggage handling, check-in ease, cleanliness and in-flight entertainment were some of the other factors rated.

The passengers shared their experiences from a collective 29,720 domestic flights from January 2010 to January 2011.

Southwest and JetBlue battled to top each other. While JetBlue was the only airline to outscore Southwest in seat comfort, Southwest was rated the ultimate for check-in ease and cabin-crew service.

JetBlue topped the in-flight entertainment ratings, with 36 channels available on each seatback screen.

These survey results were compiled before cracks were discovered in some of Southwest Airlines' planes.

The pileup of added fees during or after check-in is contributing to many travelers' decisions to fly less, according to the survey. Of the respondents who said they've cut back on flying, 40 percent cited fees as the major reason.

While most Southwest Airlines travelers -- 93 percent -- managed to avoid extra fees, passengers flying with Continental Airlines, JetBlue, Delta Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines and Frontier Airlines had to pay fees.

AirTran's multiple fees were rated the worst.

I am schocked, schocked.

Apparently subsrcibers to the Consumer Reports can see the full report.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/june/money/ airlines/overview/index.htm?CMP=OTC-NEWS

As much as most of us on this board like to make fun of US from time to time, US has always had a bit of an unfair reputation. That said, there is much room for imrovement.

Reactions: 1 person
"We are running a great airline"
- Douglas Parker

Doug,
Sit down and have another beer, You're right and your customers in the survey are wrong. So how is life in that alternate universe there Doug? Surprised you couldn't work in a swipe about your employees.

Smooth move attack the methodology instead of acknowledge the improvement US achieved over the last survey. Why face the reality that the survey proves out what your best customers have been saying. Forget that little slice of reality?

Reactions: 4 people
This blows the people out of the water that blame everything on the company and claims the employees are the best asset. When your employees, or a certain subset, fail in a survey like this, you have to take notice and improve.
also receiving the lowest marks for cabin-crew service

It really is time for a lot of the flight attendants to retire or move on. Their negative attitude and piss-poor customer service skills make life hard for the good ones and the rest of the employees. Honestly, this goes for all the employee groups and not just the FAs.

Reactions: 4 people
This blows the people out of the water that blame everything on the company and claims the employees are the best asset. When your employees, or a certain subset, fail in a survey like this, you have to take notice and improve.

It really is time for a lot of the flight attendants to retire or move on. Their negative attitude and piss-poor customer service skills make life hard for the good ones and the rest of the employees. Honestly, this goes for all the employee groups and not just the FAs.

Oh I don't know....picture this. A pax checks in for the flight and is hit up for a bag fee. Next he gets on board and takes the middle seat on a full flight because he didn't want to pay more for an isle or window seat. Then he is hit up again for more money if he is hungry as we only sell food now. Let's say he just spent sixty dollars for bag/lunch fees he was not expecting. Who, pretell is gonna get the brunt of his misery? F/A's can only say "I am sorry" so many times before the general public doesnt believe it anymore.

Like to move up in seniority would ya . Management wanting some HP style steepford employees.Go watch the PHL customer service town hall meaning and get back to us

many of the factors that AFFECT the LOW SCORES for US have nothing to do with The Employees.....it can be attributed to the so called "MISSION" of the corporation. The ala carte' pricing for bags, seats, pillow/blankets,etc. certainly Do NOT help, but the consumer IS GETTING E-x-a-c-t-l-y what they want..........LOWER FARES. Ask The esteemed Consumer and THEY will still tell You that they are Paying TOO MUCH. It isn't the F/A's fault that glassware ISN'T offered on short haul flights in F/C or that a meal isn't served on flights shorter than 3 hours. It isn't the F/A's fault that someone in F/C doesn't care for the selection of snacks offered in the Snack Basket because Doritos are not included in the 'mix of product'. It isn't the F/a's fault that ENTERTAINMENT (movie/audio) isn't provided domestically.......that is a Company issue. It isn't the F/a's fault that some IDIOT from the Sandcastle chose to eliminate closets in F/C on the Airbus.........that rests squarely with the FOOL that made the decision to impliment that maneuver. These surveys/polls are VERY SUBJECTIVE and really have no merit because it is NOT reflective in judging ANY Airline on the REAL ISSUES. The consumer can be Very Fickle, often times Spiteful and many times look at these surveys with a "What have You done for Me lately" approach. I find it absolutely hilarious that Southwest always manages to come out On Top.........and personally I can't stand them or their CattleCar Operation. Jetblue will always get high marks because of the Video System, Free Snacks and "Newer, trendy image.....it's soooooooo New Yorkish". I have flown EVERY Airline multiple times over the years and find All of the Legacy Carriers (the one's that can take You places around the World) to be very similar. They all have good employees that can be helpful but an occassional "snake in the Grass' employee that will bite your head off in an instance if approached. THAT is the Realm of Customer Service. But to State that SWA is the Best please, STOP The Ride, I want to get OFF! People have VERY SHORT Term memories when it comes to looking at The Big Picture. The Consumer has CHOICES and "IF" You as a passenger are so hell bent in Your Demands, it is YOUR Mission to find the Airline (or ANY Business) to Meet Your needs. No one is going to structure their business to tailor to every Whim that blows up your skirt. Blaming the Employees is NOT The Problem.........

Reactions: 3 people
many of the factors that AFFECT the LOW SCORES for US have nothing to do with The Employees.....it can be attributed to the so called "MISSION" of the corporation. The ala carte' pricing for bags, seats, pillow/blankets,etc. certainly Do NOT help, but the consumer IS GETTING E-x-a-c-t-l-y what they want..........LOWER FARES. Ask The esteemed Consumer and THEY will still tell You that they are Paying TOO MUCH. It isn't the F/A's fault that glassware ISN'T offered on short haul flights in F/C or that a meal isn't served on flights shorter than 3 hours. It isn't the F/A's fault that someone in F/C doesn't care for the selection of snacks offered in the Snack Basket because Doritos are not included in the 'mix of product'. It isn't the F/a's fault that ENTERTAINMENT (movie/audio) isn't provided domestically.......that is a Company issue. It isn't the F/a's fault that some IDIOT from the Sandcastle chose to eliminate closets in F/C on the Airbus.........that rests squarely with the FOOL that made the decision to impliment that maneuver. These surveys/polls are VERY SUBJECTIVE and really have no merit because it is NOT reflective in judging ANY Airline on the REAL ISSUES. The consumer can be Very Fickle, often times Spiteful and many times look at these surveys with a "What have You done for Me lately" approach. I find it absolutely hilarious that Southwest always manages to come out On Top.........and personally I can't stand them or their CattleCar Operation. Jetblue will always get high marks because of the Video System, Free Snacks and "Newer, trendy image.....it's soooooooo New Yorkish". I have flown EVERY Airline multiple times over the years and find All of the Legacy Carriers (the one's that can take You places around the World) to be very similar. They all have good employees that can be helpful but an occassional "snake in the Grass' employee that will bite your head off in an instance if approached. THAT is the Realm of Customer Service. But to State that SWA is the Best please, STOP The Ride, I want to get OFF! People have VERY SHORT Term memories when it comes to looking at The Big Picture. The Consumer has CHOICES and "IF" You as a passenger are so hell bent in Your Demands, it is YOUR Mission to find the Airline (or ANY Business) to Meet Your needs. No one is going to structure their business to tailor to every Whim that blows up your skirt. Blaming the Employees is NOT The Problem.........

Hey idiots in Tempe, give me some thing I can retire with & I'm gone yesterday.

AstroLounge...you make a valid point...by the time many pax's arrive at the aircraft, their opinion of USAirways is already made in one direction or the other. That being said, there are a certain percentage of f/a's who spend a lot time trying to figure out how to do as little as possible. Cut the first service on trans-atlantic and do a push pull in order to have a longer rest period. Don't go through with the duty free cart, make an announcement and let "them" come to the back to purchase items. Single beverage arrive service on trans-atlantic, without the option of having anything to drink but coffee, oj, tea and h2o. Not doing coffee and h2o service in coach on domestic flights when fresh meals are sold. Skipping arrival service on domestic flights. Serving the can because it takes too long to pour drinks. Not being knowledgeable on policies and procedures (btw, pax's are not required to remove headsets). The list goes on.

All you have to do is read Southwest 's Gary Kelly presidents message in their April inflight magazine and you will see why Parker can't run an airline. Quote from the last paragraph "Each department has a dedicated team working together to create action plans to make Southwest an even happier place. And because happy employees provide great customer service, you, our customers benefit". The tile of the article was "The Happiest Place to Work" Any questions?