US Airways math

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Was working next to an agent tonight who was ticketing a lady going TPA-LGW roundtrip. Fare stored was $805. She gave him an $80 Fly With US voucher and he went to the proper keypad, entered $80 in "how much is the voucher" mask and it fared the ticket out at $439 after the amount taken off. Now, I just learned what I had to in school to get thru the tricky math classes, but how does one figure 805-80=439 in any way shape or form? Not even taking taxes off (it comes off the base so taxes drop as well) comes close to this. But, since QIK/Shares has ALL the answers to our questions (and thinks it knows more than the agent) the lady got a nice little chunk of change off her ticket (about half price for the $80 voucher.). :up: GO QIK :down:

And the money keeps walking out the door Dougie!

The program was probably developed by someone who learned "new math"....you better be careful, there are certain posters here that would say that you should have overridden the system to correct the screw up.

He already had restored the fare once because the system dropped it. No time with 3 agents on the counter and a line out the door to "correct" QIK. It knows best. Try once, maybe twice, third time, forget it. It is what it is. Hmmm, where have I heard that before? Today was nothing but deals. Get em in, get em out. Next....

The program was probably developed by someone who learned "new math"....you better be careful, there are certain posters here that would say that you should have overridden the system to correct the screw up.
Thats right. Why would anybody not charge the right abount? Sorry, if it was the opposite and it charged her 400.00 too much would you say Ive spent enough time on it now pay? Tad, I admire your expertise and extensive knowlege of not only this company but the industry but I respectfully disagree with you. What if it was retail and the computer couldnt read the inventory numbers correctly, would you let a 1200 purse walk out the door for 120? If I didnt think Id get slammed, Id say its like stealing from the till, not your money to give away. Mama

Thats right. Why would anybody not charge the right abount? Sorry, if it was the opposite and it charged her 400.00 too much would you say Ive spent enough time on it now pay? Tad, I admire your expertise and extensive knowlege of not only this company but the industry but I respectfully disagree with you. What if it was retail and the computer couldnt read the inventory numbers correctly, would you let a 1200 purse walk out the door for 120? If I didnt think Id get slammed, Id say its like stealing from the till, not your money to give away. Mama

While I agree with you, this is a judgement call that is hard for other to make. While the $400.00 undercharge is "stealing" from the company. You need to look at the line ahead of you and determine if the company would loose more by not servicing the customer in a timely fashion. It could be very well more than the $400.00 plus it is Tempe's responsibility to have systems in place to make it easy for the customer.

I left US because it was TOO hard to give them my business. It should not take 20 min. to walk up to a ticket counter purchase a ticket, pay for it, and get a boarding pass. it was a simple flight (CMH-PHL) Two years ago in FFL I purchased a ticket 20 min before flight time, passed security, and boarded the plane with time to spare (already knew no lines at security) I did that to gice US business, and not fly WN. Boy have things changed with the new computer system.

All of the problems are being hidden behind the profits. Wait until the next economic down turn, when that 43% Elite revenue premium is dried up and Ma & Pa Kettle are eating Government Cheese.

We'll know when the 2nd quarter results are released if the "Elite revenue premium" dried up or if all the complaining, b1tching & moaning by the US FF is BS or 4-reals.

While I agree with you, this is a judgement call that is hard for other to make. While the $400.00 undercharge is "stealing" from the company. You need to look at the line ahead of you and determine if the company would loose more by not servicing the customer in a timely fashion. It could be very well more than the $400.00 plus it is Tempe's responsibility to have systems in place to make it easy for the customer.

I left US because it was TOO hard to give them my business. It should not take 20 min. to walk up to a ticket counter purchase a ticket, pay for it, and get a boarding pass. it was a simple flight (CMH-PHL) Two years ago in FFL I purchased a ticket 20 min before flight time, passed security, and boarded the plane with time to spare (already knew no lines at security) I did that to gice US business, and not fly WN. Boy have things changed with the new computer system.
I agree that it is a judgement call but I also have read enough posts to know how hard the rest of the employees of US work that this takes away from their earning potential. Tad is well repected and he every right to make this decision. If this was a one time thing, fine, but it seems there are way too many posts about waiving fees or not charging the correct amount. Whose fault? Obviously NOT his. Its just frustrating to see non charging of correct fares which can lead to overall losses. Since this was not the first time maybe getting the issue solved and a 1 time longer wait to find out how to get around the problem might be the answer. NO finger pointing from me towards any front line agent but constantly watching $$$$ walk out the door gets depressing to hear. Tempe will still get their large salaries but they'll go knocking on the Unions doors to get employees to take concessions and then give themselves bonuses for rank and file pay cuts. Its airline (mis)management at its best. Mama

Truth is PHXmama that if the company had a competent IT department we wouldn't have this thread. Why should ANYONE reward the company for continued incompetence?
If US had a competent IT dept we wouldnt have 10x as many posts as the other boards!!!! Mama

If US had a competent IT dept we wouldnt have 10x as many posts as the other boards!!!! Mama

If US had a competent IT Dept. you would not see revenue walk out the door, and you would see more of the profit sharing that you deserve.

The simple answer would be to address IT problems.

But upper management is to simple for the simple life.

Would Paris Hilton be a better CEO.

She has the cred, time in a women's prison.

No problem with your opinion mama and if we have the time, believe me we take the time to call the (no)help desk (issue a fim-thats helpful as well when thats their answer for not knowing how to reissue the ticket). When there are only three of us on the counter and the agent has already taken the time to store the fare once and he did the correct entries (I watched him) what do you propose he do? How many times are the agents supposed to "try" and get the computer to work right? I probably would have refigured and stored the fare minus the 80.00 voucher, but with the lack of training given most of the East agents, they're lucky they can ticket at all. I didnt have the time to help him again, I was working on my own deal at the time.
Tempe has had ample time (and suggestions, do you know how many QikFixes I've sent in?) to get their act together. While I agree that we need to collect all the money we can, I am tired of playing lets make the system work. It should work right every time without me having to manipulate the computer to get the right fare out.
Also, there is a lack of consistancy from rez as to storing fares, etc. Sometimes the voucher has been taken off, sometimes not. Is it? Do we have to refare? When you refare what is the computer going to give you for a new fare? Its totally out of control and it appears that if Tempe is NOT going to do anything more than they are to get the computer working right many of the agents are of the same opinion. Whatever it is it is.

it is Tempe's responsibility to have systems in place to make it easy for the customer.

Corporate said no change bank at the counter anymore either. The agents are now required to decide what to do when they owe the customer change. We can either bring in our own change from home and run to your locker if you need it, stop working the line and go to Starbucks and ask for change, dont give the customer their change or round up and be short in your drawer. Easy huh?

TEMPE is still coming out ahead - figure how many of those vouchers have been issued vs how many are actually used before expiration. I think someone actually using the voucher deserves that extra reward! :D

Anyway, I hope they fix/change the system - it's painful to see what some TA's have to go through to do what should be a fairly simple transaction. It would also be nice if vouchers were able to be used online - is that in the cards?

Tempe has had ample time (and suggestions, do you know how many QikFixes I've sent in?) to get their act together. While I agree that we need to collect all the money we can, I am tired of playing lets make the system work. It should work right every time without me having to manipulate the computer to get the right fare out.

This is also very frustrating to customers as well. I don't have the time to watch agents get frustrated with the computer system months afer the cut over. You are 100% correct it should work 100% of the time correctly not 75-80% (my experience).

And you are also correct on the consistancy issue. I used two vouchers I was given for tickets for my kids. Used one week apart for the same flight and same fare. The transactions were handled differently. One a discount of the money owed by me, the other a reduced fare. Both took a bit of time.

Its all poor management

I wouldn't be surprised if the system ticketed the passenger one way. Hope she doesn't get to the airport for her return flight to discover she only had a one way ticket.