Us Airways Non-hub Network

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Found this on a another website, found it interesting. The US Airways route structure is pretty bizarre and hard to understand.

===================================================
USAirways' point to point route structure has always interested me. It is made up almost entirely of flight operated by thier regional subsidiaries. I did a little looking into the schedules, and here is a look at thier point-to-point structure.Most of the following lists do not include services to hubs in Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. All schedules are based on this summers schedules.

Baltimore/Washington

Formerly a USAirways hub, from Baltimore/Washington US Airways continues to operate a handful of non-hub routes. Mainline service includes a daily A319 to Hamilton, Bermuda that operates during the summer. This summer they are also introducing two new Saturday-only services, an A319 to Cancun on 19 June (pending gov't approval) and a 737-300 to Orlando (seasonal through October). Both routes were previously served by US Airways during the BWI hubs hayday. In addition, US Airways Express continues to operate regional flights to Greensboro (4x J31), New York City/LaGuardia (7x DH8), Richmond (3x J41), and Syracuse (4x J41).

Related to Maryland, US Airways is also the only regular schedule operater in Maryland flying from an airport other than Baltimore with service to Hagerstown (4x DH8 to PIT) and Ocean City (1x DH8 to CLT; 1x DH8 to DCA, 6x DH8 to PHL).

Boston

From Boston, USAirways offers a number of services to the Caribbean and other vacation islands. This includes a daily A319 to Hamilton, Bermuda and San Juan (second Saturday flight also operates to San Juan), Saturday A319 services to Aruba and Nassau, four-weekly A319 and 757 flights to Montego Bay, five-weekly A319s to Cancun. Also for vacationers, they offer non-stop flights on Saturdays (all with CRJs) to Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Savannah. An extensive network between Boston and Maine includes service to Augusta (3x BE1; two of the return trips are one-stop), Bar Harbour (5x BE1; one return trip is one-stop), Presque Isle (3x SF3), and Rockland (4x BE1; one return trip is one-stop). In addition, they also offer non-stops to Buffalo (4x ERJ), Greensboro (2x ERJ), Harrisburg (3x DH8), Indianapolis (3x ERJ), Richmond (3x ERJ), Rochester (3x ERJ), Syracuse (1x BE1, 2x DH8), and White Plains (3x BE1). In addition, US Airways Shutle operates frequent Shuttle service to both LaGuardia and Washington/National

New York (outside NYC)

Throughout Upstate New York, they operate plenty of intra-state and out of state services. These include:

Albany: Buffalo (4x BE1), Islip (2x BE1), New York City/LaGuardia (2x BE1, 2x SF3), Orlando (Sa 733), Washington, D.C./National (3x ERJ)
Buffalo: Albany (4x BE1), Boston (4x ERJ), Hartford (3x DH8), Orlando (Sa 319)
Ithaca: New York City/LaGuardia (5x SF3), Washington, D.C./National (3x ERJ)
Jamestown: Dubois, PA (1x BE1)*
Massena: Ogdensburg (2x BE1), Watertown (1x BE1)*
Ogdensburg: Massena (2x BE1), Watertown (2x BE1)*
Rochester: Boston (3x ERJ), Hartford (2x DH8), New York City/LaGuardia (5x DH8, 2x SF3), Washington, D.C./National (2x ERJ, 1x CRJ)
Syracuse: Baltimore (4x J41), Boston (3x DH8, 1x BE1), Hartford (2x BE1), New York City/LaGuardia (4x DH8, 2x SF3), Orlando (Sa 733), Washington, D.C./National (4x DH8, 1x ERJ)
Watertown: Massena (1x BE1), Ogdensburg (2x BE1)
White Plains: Boston (3x BE1), Washington, D.C./National (4x DH8, 1x ERJ)

*These cities have no non-stops to any US Airways hubs. They all have one-stops to Pittsburgh.

Carolina point-to-point

US Airways has a large customer base in the Carolinas, and uses this to thier advantage in providing point-to-point services...

Asheville: Greer/Spartanburg (1x BE1), New York City/LaGuardia (2x ERJ), Raleigh (1x BE1)
Charleston, SC: Boston (Sa CRJ), New York City/LaGuardia (2x ERJ), Raleigh (3x BE1), Washington, D.C./National (4x ERJ)
Colombia, SC: Washington, D.C./National (3x ERJ)
Greensboro: Baltimore (4x J41), Boston (3x ERJ), New York City/LaGuardia (5x ERJ), Washington, D.C./National (3x ERJ, 1x DH8, 1x SF3)
Greer/Spartanburg: Asheville (1x BE1), New York City/LaGuardia (3x ERJ), Orlando (Sa CRJ), Raleigh/Durham (2x BE1), Tampa (Sa CRJ), Washington, D.C./National (2x ERJ, 1x CRJ)
Hilton Head: Washington, D.C./National (Sa DH8)
Myrtle Beach: Boston (Sa CRJ), New York City/LaGuardia (SaSu ERJ), Washington, D.C./National (SaSu ERJ)
Raleigh: Asheville (1x BE1), Charleston (3x BE1), Greer/Spartanburg (2x BE1), New York City/LaGuardia (3x CRJ, 3x ERJ), Norfolk (2x BE1), Orlando (Sa 733), Washington, D.C./National (5x ERJ, 1x DH8)
Willmington, NC: New York City/LaGuardia (2x ERJ), Washington, D.C./National (1x DH8)*

*Willmington-National service ends this summer due to lack of slots.

Intra-Florida and Florida point-to-point

US Airways operates a small intra-Florida operations, also with some flights to the Bahamas. Recently, using aircraft that would otherwise be sitting still on weekends, US Airways has built up many new Saturday-only routes, mainly to Orlando.

Fort Lauderdale: Hamilton, Bermuda (WeSa 319), Providence (Sa 319), Washington, D.C./National (3x 734)
Fort Walton Beach: Orlando (4x BE1), Panama City, FL (3x BE1), Tampa (1x BE1)
Jacksonville, FL: Washington, D.C./National (3x ERJ)
Key West: Miami (2x BE1), Tampa (4x BE1)
Miami: Key West (2x BE1), North Eleuthera (1x BE1), Tampa (2x BE1)
Orlando: Albany (Sa 733), Baltimore (Sa 733), Buffalo (Sa 319), Columbus (Sa 733), Fort Walton Beach (2x BE1), Hamilton, Bermuda (Sa 319), Greer/Spartanburg (Sa CRJ), Harrisburg (Sa 733), Hartford (Sa 733), Panama City, FL (1x BE1), Providence (Sa 733), Raleigh (Sa 733), Richmond (Sa CRJ), Syracuse (Sa 733), Washington, D.C./National (3x 734, 1x 733)
Panama City: Fort Walton Beach (4x BE1), Tampa (2x BE1)
Pensacola: Tampa (6x BE1)
Tampa: Fort Walton Beach (1x BE1), Greer/Spartanburg (Sa CRJ), Key West (4x BE1), Miami (2x BE1), Panama City (2x BE1), Pensacola (6x BE1), Richmond (Sa CRJ), Washington, D.C./National (2x 319, 1x 734), West Palm Beach (1x BE1)
West Palm Beach: Marsh Harbour (1x BE1), Tampa (1x BE1), Washington, D.C./National (2x 734)

Kansas services

While US Airways has heavily cut back services within Kansas and the rest of the Midwest, they still offer a network of flights, mainly from Kansas City, Missouri.

Dodge City, KS: Garden City (2x BE1), Kansas City (1x BE1),
Garden City, KS: Dodge City (1x BE1), Kansas City (1x BE1)
Great Bend, KS: Hays (1x BE1), Kansas City (1x BE1)
Hays, KS: Great Bend (1x BE1), Kansas City (1x BE1)
Manhattan, KS: Kansas City (3x BE1), Manhattan (3x BE1)
Salina, KS: Manhattan (3x BE1)

In addition to these Kansas services, US Airways also offers service from Kansas City to Little Rock (2x BE1) and Washington, D.C./National (3x CRJ).

Pennsylvania services

Like in the Carolinas, US Airways enjoys a large customer base in the Pennsylvania area. In addition to routes to hubs, the following non-hub flights are flown form Pennsylvania destinations.

Altoona, PA: Johnston (1x BE1)
Dubois, PA: Jamestown, NY (1x BE1)
Harrisburg, PA: Boston (3x DH8), Orlando (Sa 733)
Johnston, PA: Altoona (1x BE1)

West Virginia serivces

US Airways is the main airline in the state of West Virginia, offering the most service to the most airports. Including hub services, they fly too:

Beckley: Bluefield, Pittsburgh
Bluefield: Beckley, Pittsburgh
Charleston: Charlotte, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C./National
Clarksburg: Morgantown, Pittsburgh
Huntington/Ironton: Charlotte, Pittsburgh
Lewisburg: Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C./Dulles (yes, IAD, not DCA)
Morgantown: Clarksburg, Pittsburgh
Parkersburg/Wood City: Pittsburgh

Former hubs

US Airways used to have hubs in both Dayton, Ohio and Indianapolis, Indiana. Here are the few point-to-point services that remain

Dayton: New York City/LaGuardia (4x CRJ), Washington, D.C./National (3x ERJ)
Indianapolis: Boston (3x ERJ), New York City/LaGuardia (5x ERJ), Washington, D.C./National (6x ERJ)

LaGuardia network

The LaGuardia network of US Airways includes:

Albany, Aruba, Asheville, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Burlington, Charelston (SC), Charlotteville (Virgina), Chattanooga, Columbia, Columbus, Dayton, Freeport, Greensboro, Greer/Spartanburg, Hamilton (Bermuda), Hyannis Port, Indianapolis, Ithaca, Knoxville, Lebanon (New Hampshire), Louisville, Manchester, Martha's Vineyard, Myrtle Beach, Nantucket, Nassau, New Orleans, Norfolk, Portland (ME), Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, Roanoke, Rochester, San Juan, Savannah, St. Thoams, Syracuse, Washington, D.C./National, Willmington (NC)

National network

The Washington National network of US Airways includes:

Albany, Birmingham, Boston, Buffalo, Burlington, Charleston (SC), Charleston (WV), Chattanooga, Colombia, Columbus, Dayton, Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Greensboro, Greer/Spartanburg, Hamilton (Bermuda), Hartford, Hilton Head, Huntsville, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Knoxville, Louisville, Manchester, Martha's Vineyard, Myrtle Beach, Nassau, Nantucket, Nashville, New Orleans, New York City/LaGuardia, Norfolk, Ocean City (MD), Orlando, Portland (ME), Providence, Raleigh, Rochester, Savannah, Syracuse, Tampa, Toronto, West Palm Beach, White Plains, Willmington (NC)*

*Willmington-National service ends this summer due to lack of slots.

Odd ones out

Just some of the odder routes that US Airways and thier express carriers fly (or don't fly):

-Washington Dulles to Lewisburg, WV
-Washington Dulles to San Juan, Puerto Rico
-Norfolk, Virginia to Hampton, Virginia (one-way only)
-Miami to North Eleuthera, Bahamas
-West Palm Beach to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas
-Kansas City to Little Rock, Arkansas
-There is no non-stop service between Philadelphia and Washington Dulles on US Airways

The most interesting thing about US Airways regional network is that this network is after the cutbacks. Before major US Airways cutbacks, they served a much larger number of cities such as Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Topeka.

=====================================================

(back to Light Years)

One thing missing from that list that I can think of is the recent addition of some Carribbean point to points, like FLL-BDA.

Very interesting LY... That took alot of time. If anything, that sure does help to carry when commuting or non-rev'ing. Thanks for that post. Notice that US has not included the MOST profitable point-to-point operation in North America? CAK.
I wonder if they ever will. Continental is hurting in CLE because of that smaller airport to the south. People are driving as far as Erie, PIT, CLE, TOL, and Columbus for flights out of that airport. I have even driven from PIT myself and know of quite a few people that have as well. Even to fly US is cheaper driving the 1:30 min to CAK. AirTrash has p2p from CAK To MCO, TPA, ATL, LGA, BOS (june), and soon RSW (aug). AirTran is also trying to get CAK-PHL. Airways could cash in big time. It has been awarded the fastest growing airport in North American, the most profitable airport, and the most to have positive growth through 2008. CLE and CO is not happy at all. And US can't even get an RJ between the two cities. What a joke. I remember when we used to fly the 73's and F-100's oversold daily from there. Someone needs to push for that airport. ;)

skyguy25 said:
Continental is hurting in CLE because of that smaller airport to the south.
Continental just announced that for the 1st quarter their CLE capacity was up 7.5% and their traffic was up 9%. While CAL probably isn't delighted with AirTrans' success at CAK, it obviously isn't causing any decline at CLE.

True, but CAK is probably drawing about many people from CMH (favored by Canton travelers) as from CLE; they're probably drawing some from PIT as well. And, unfortunately for CLE pax, Continental isn't matching fares, which says to me they don't feel any threat...yet, anyway.

This one

-Norfolk, Virginia to Hampton, Virginia (one-way only)

Is a plane repositioning. It actually does go Hampton to Norfolk late at night too (flight 3319.) I booked it on purpose during the "get out the miles promotion" and got an entire segment for a 10 minute flight barely over the treetops in a Dash-8 (and got that doubled) until they realized their error since the flight number didn't change.

CMH does not pull any Canton travellers... 42 mile to CLE or 128 to CMH huh lets think about that. Had lived live there decades and never heard of anyone livingin Akron/Canton going to CMH...pit yes...

Just out of curiosity can any of you all tell if anyone has ever paid for a trip from ORF - PHF and/or back? They do allow this repositioning flight to be bookable - it even does show up on the flight status boards (LOL). I checked it out once and it was $700. IF anyone ever needs to go this route I'll do it for $300

Some more food for thought...

When talking about mainline point to point, excluding the new Saturday only Florida service and the Carribbean, there is basically nothing. I consider DCA a "mini mainline hub," so exclude DCA point to point as well. What other non-hub point to point mainline service is there? The one and only one route I can think of is LGA-MSY. Other than that, I believe there is NOTHING! Can someone prove me wrong

By the way, why does LGA-MSY still exist? The yeild on this route must be terrible with B6 & AA running multiple NYC-MSY. US actually offers a one-way fare valid without R/T purchase on this route for $90 to compete.

skyguy25 said:
CMH does not pull any Canton travellers... 42 mile to CLE or 128 to CMH huh lets think about that.
My error; I was thinking about people in between Canton and Columbus, for example the Dover/New Philadelphia area. They are traditional CMH flyers who could be lured to CAK by lower fares and service to more points. The point being that all the growth at CAK isn't coming solely out of CLE.

skyguy25 said:
Very interesting LY... That took alot of time.
I actually just cut and pasted it from another site... someone else did the research. :)

I dont really consider BOS, DCA, and LGA stuff point to point as they are focus cities. I just wish they'd use those valuable slots and gates for more than redundant RJ service. Our current networks out og those three are pretty much matched by Delta Connection and American Eagle, except we dont have the mainline flights to key cities to offer. I know its highly competitive, but why not BOS, DCA, and LGA to ORD? Or BOS to SFO and LAX? And bring back the NE to Florida service!

US has, lets face it, three kind of sorry hubs, and then presence and facilities in three of the highest O+D markets in the US (and the world with New York). Granted they are restricted by perimeter rules, but I just dont see why they have more ERJs, Dash 8s and even Beechcrafts in those markets (serving stuff they already overserve through the hubs) than mainline aircraft to big markets.

Light Years said:
I know its highly competitive, but why not BOS, DCA, and LGA to ORD? Or BOS to SFO and LAX? And bring back the NE to Florida service!

US has, lets face it, three kind of sorry hubs, and then presence and facilities in three of the highest O+D markets in the US (and the world with New York). Granted they are restricted by perimeter rules, but I just dont see why they have more ERJs, Dash 8s and even Beechcrafts in those markets (serving stuff they already overserve through the hubs) than mainline aircraft to big markets.
AMEN...US blows the chance to offer comprehensive service from places like BOS. With a few transcons and a little more point to point, US could serve many people here very well. The NE to FL would never be a big money maker, but it must cost a lot to push people through the hubs during the winter, when there are enough of them to fill nonstops. And it would help stem the defection to other carriers at the same time.

Heres' the thing. US Airways runs away from some of these markets, or never gets in the game at all. They have the rusty ole USAir mentality of 'if we cant monopolize it then we're not bothering'.

You cant look at an airline (particularly a network airline) on a route-by-route basis. There needs to be a vibrant, diverse network to keep the customer as loyal to the carrier as possible. Say they started BOS transcon- they may not dominate the market, but they keep the flyer base in Boston, one of thier biggest, on US metal. Same with the Florida service- they might not MAKE revenue on those particular flights against the LCCs, but they would stop LOSING revenue from switched loyalties, and a public perception that they really dont fly anywhere anyone wants to go. Not to mention increasing thier stage length, therefore lowering thier cost per seat mile, and utilizing real airplanes to perform the tasks they were designed for (Clue- its not CLT-GSO or PHL-SYR).

If other airlines had the same attitude toward route planning that US did, we wouldnt have any competition. American's quasi-Shuttle is a great example. The Shuttle is US Airways' and Delta's turf. AA are by no means dominating the Shuttle market with thier Eagle RJ service, or likely even making any money doing it. But they are offering the service and keeping thier loyal customer base on AA and off of US and DL.

US just seems to think that if they stay out of "other peoples markets" that they will stay out of thiers. Thats not how it works and therefore everyone else, legacy and LCC alike are p***ing in Airways pool.

US is the biggest airline east of the Mississippi, which, as we've all heard, is where 40% of the US population lives. US has slots, gates, facilities, a large customer base, and an hourly Shuttle between arguably the three most important cities on the east coast. Yet they are the only* major airline that doesnt serve Los Angeles from any New York area airport (*maybe not... does Northwest?)... NYC-LAX is the highest yield/load routes in the nation. US just pouts about LGA permiter rules and figures people will take the Dash 8 to Philly first if they want to go to LA. Same with the DC area and Boston. US will happily fly you on yet another flight to somewhere they already serve from thier major hub three blocks down the street (PHL/CLT). They worry that offering a BOS-LAX service would dilute thier PHL-LAX, but dont worry that serving PHL, PIT, CLT, BOS, DCA, and LGA to BUF might dilute thier hubs. The thing is, theres enough market share to go around when your flying to places people want to go.

Latest posts