US Airways Non-stop Service, Charlotte-Honolulu

WCT

Veteran
May 8, 2007
Visit site
IS everyone excited? I hope so. :up:
On a positive note, I hope this is a very successful route for US Airways. However, there was a great question brought up on the last PHX crew session about service to and from the Islands in Envoy and Coach.
Seems we will be offering the same service to Hawaii as we do on our Transalantic flying, including Envoy meals, and free meals to pax's in Coach.
As much as I think this is wonderful news, why aren't we offering the same service out of PHX to HNL, OGG, LIH, and KOA???
I know this route will be flown by a 767, not 757. If Hawaiian Airlines can offer free meals is Coach, why are we selling food?? :unsure:
I understand the CLT-HNL service is an 11 hour flight, but the PHX flights are 7 hours going, and 6 hours back.
Can we at least offer a free snack box aboard these flights out of PHX? :up:

I agree that the service should be upgraded on ALL flights from PHX to the Hawaiian islands. Those flights are just as long as some of the shortest flights to Europe from PHL like SNN (soon gone), DUB, GLA. Those flights all have full Envoy and hot meal and arrival snack in coach. It's a total lack of consistency. Get Hector on the horn. Wait, scratch that. That poor man probably is spinning in circles with all this base closure crap going on. :shock:

My **guess** is that the additional 3:37 westbound and 2:53 eastbound flight durations to/from CLT make that difference. I flew on HA from HNL to PHX last April and fully enjoyed their coach service. For whatever reason US has decided not to provide the free meals in the back, perhaps because a significant number of passengers are using miles rather than $$$ to pay for the trip. (I'm not saying it should make a difference how you pay, $$$ or miles that your butt has been in a paid seat, but that may be what they are thinking.)

It seems unlikely that any upgrade to service will occur on an existing route while cutbacks, layoffs and furloughs are the real news of the day. Of course it remains to be seen how much management bonuses are for their wonderful stewardship of the airline.

My **guess** is that the additional 3:37 westbound and 2:53 eastbound flight durations to/from CLT make that difference. I flew on HA from HNL to PHX last April and fully enjoyed their coach service. For whatever reason US has decided not to provide the free meals in the back, perhaps because a significant number of passengers are using miles rather than $$$ to pay for the trip. (I'm not saying it should make a difference how you pay, $$$ or miles that your butt has been in a paid seat, but that may be what they are thinking.)

It seems unlikely that any upgrade to service will occur on an existing route while cutbacks, layoffs and furloughs are the real news of the day. Of course it remains to be seen how much management bonuses are for their wonderful stewardship of the airline.

I haven't checked lately, but when we planned a trip in July I couldn't find any Dividend Miles seats available. We did pay a very reasonable fare for the trip, considering the miles flown.

Are we sure CLT-HNL will have Envoy service? Some carriers have standard domestic first service with a few additions here and there, at least that's how it was when I flew DEN-HNL on UA a few years ago.

I think the decision for a free meal clt-hnl was to match the DL policy on their flt from Atl-Hnl. That is our competition in this market.

I would imagine west coast flts to HNL on UA and AA do not offer free meals in coach which is why we don't from phx.

Are we sure CLT-HNL will have Envoy service? Some carriers have standard domestic first service with a few additions here and there, at least that's how it was when I flew DEN-HNL on UA a few years ago.
I do not believe the CLT-HNL flight is ENVOY service (ala TA), but First/Business. In other words, except for a possible difference in drinks, I believe the meal and other sevices are essentially identical to any CLT-LAX meal flight. If someone can find a reference on the reservation site, or elsewhere that indicates this is an Envoy flight, please post it.

Up front is Domestic First, meal and arrival meal, but with the Envoy cabin, same as when the A330 goes to SJU.

In Economy it will be a complimentary hot meal for the first service and Buy On Board meals for purchase for second service.

The difference is the length of flight, just as a PHL-SFO flight is different than a PHX-SFO flight, or hopefully a PHX-FRA would be different compared to a PHL-FRA flight. It is also competing with Delta out of ATL and catering to a more service/FF oriented demographic, whereas the PHX service is more HP style. It's a positive that someone out there has realized that model does not work on a national or international level.

Its not Envoy to HNL, its First Class and are we sure there are comp meals in Coach? WHen you display the availablity in QIK, it shows buy on board in coach. Or at least it did last time I looked.

Its not Envoy to HNL, its First Class and are we sure there are comp meals in Coach? WHen you display the availablity in QIK, it shows buy on board in coach. Or at least it did last time I looked.
100% yes on comp meal in coach. The computer said the same thing in the early going when we went to Heathrow. First meal will be complementary. Snacks available for purchase during flt and BOB 1.5 hrs before arrival 100% catered.

100% yes on comp meal in coach. The computer said the same thing in the early going when we went to Heathrow. First meal will be complementary. Snacks available for purchase during flt and BOB 1.5 hrs before arrival 100% catered.
Nice to hear they will be offering complimentary meals in Coach.
I thought all the 767 where all furnished with Envoy Class seats, near flat seats? So what are the differences in First Class vs. Envoy going to be on the HNL route?
I wish they would upgrade our 757 service out of PHX!!! ;)

I thought all the 767 where all furnished with Envoy Class seats, near flat seats?
They are - the seats are the flat but inclined type which don't go fully horizontal (that would take up more space).

Jim

Latest posts