BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
US Airways Orders Overtime
Airline Short of Help For 50 New Flights

By Keith L. Alexander
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 3, 2005; Page E01

After several rounds of job cuts, US Airways is severely understaffed for the launch of 50 additional flights from Reagan National Airport on Sunday and demanded that baggage handlers work overtime to prevent service disruptions like those that angered customers in Philadelphia on Christmas weekend.

In a memo to workers Friday, the airline said it was short 95 baggage handlers. Full-time baggage handlers must work an additional 16 hours and part-time staff an 12 additional hours over the next two weeks, it said.

Washinton Post Article

Jim

You just gotta hate that! Maybe Flyboi will volunteer to go throw bags for free to save the airline!

Sounds like Philly all over again. :rolleyes:

Geez louis , Id be happy too. Sign me up. You need to learn how to be a team player. You see louise, I was raised by Piedmont airlines, when things like the above happened often, but no big deal. Why you ask? Because we worked as a team, and comments and attitudes like yours, was far and few between!

BoeingBoy said:
US Airways Orders Overtime
Airline Short of Help For 50 New Flights

By Keith L. Alexander
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 3, 2005; Page E01

After several rounds of job cuts, US Airways is severely understaffed for the launch of 50 additional flights from Reagan National Airport on Sunday and demanded that baggage handlers work overtime to prevent service disruptions like those that angered customers in Philadelphia on Christmas weekend.

In a memo to workers Friday, the airline said it was short 95 baggage handlers. Full-time baggage handlers must work an additional 16 hours and part-time staff an 12 additional hours over the next two weeks, it said.

Washinton Post Article

Jim
[post="245014"][/post]​

well they laid one too many employees off I have to blame mgmt's inept decisions for this mess. i just hope it dont turn out to be the repeat of the phlly mess

Actually, DCA has been short for quite some time now and even on their worst day they are no where near as bad as PHL on thier best day. The station employees at DCA are among the best in the system. Hopefully the recent job fair in DCA will provide them with the replacement man power that they need to continue operating as well as they do.

What's the big deal? Seems to me from the comments posted above, that they should save their overtime, and just ask for volunteers!

This airline needs the money, come on guys, pony up!

DC for about 8 bucks an hour part time to start!!! I just bet they were breaking down the doors to the job fair!!!!! I would luv to see the numbers of applicants at the job fair vs the number of persons accepted for pre employment screening and then the final numbers hired?? Just like at most Express operations a big revolving door !!! I am sure it would be interesting, but as Hawk has mentioned many times before they are having great success in the job fairs and will have no problem filling the slots with people!!(Dependable?)

MCI transplant said:
<_< aa----Can't keep your nose out of other peoples business can you??? :shock:
[post="245029"][/post]​

This is a free country and a free board and I along with anyone else can post where and when I or they choose. I post here because what happens at U and UA will have a direct effect at AA.You should be more concerned about MCI getting third party work, because if they dont MCI IS GONE. Perhaps you would like to give AA back some more money (like you did at TWA and like USA320 pilot does here) to save your job. After all, even with the latest round of concessions your are still making more than you were at TWA. Your animosity towards me shows you are bitter about the seniority situation.

Lets see... Hundreds line up for the jobs in DC. How many pass the drug test? Home to what mayor in the past? What's the cost of living? What's the pay?

Only the cream of the crop will be brought onboard, count on it!

MarkMyWords said:
Actually, DCA has been short for quite some time now
[post="245059"][/post]​

I guess you could call it good news that someone in CCY recognized the looming problem and took some action instead of waiting till another "meltdown" happened and then blaming employees.

Who knows, maybe next time they'll plan more than a few days in advance....

Jim

It may be silly of me, but I have a question for any of the managment persons on the boards......Now it seems to me if I was expanding flights out of an airport a little thought would have to be put in to the matter. Was any thought put into this expansion program or were people just sitting around the office last week and decided to increase flights by 50 a day out of DCA? It seems to me planning should be considered before implementing the plan, and one of the most important pieces of the puzzle would be do we have enough people to work the flights? Just a thought??

next stop BOS.....they're supposed to ramp up flights outa boston and for the past 3 weeks mechanic bids have been up for around 20 positions but it seems no one wants to work in boston..
they'll be calling overtime there next.........