US Airways owes stranded travelers an apology

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
A letter to the Charlotte Observer

US Airways owes stranded travelers an apology

US Airways owes the traveling public a public apology for its recent service problems. And they especially owe an apology to my Habitat for Humanity team.On March 17, I led a Habitat for Humanity group to Guatemala. Nineteen members of my team were left at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport due to lack of ticket agents and computer problems after a four-hour wait in line. The next day some of them were stranded in Mexico City, including 10 teenagers for whom I was responsible. That was due to computers -- not the weather, despite what US Airways would like the public to believe. The team voted to fly US Airways despite higher cost because it was a direct flight. Maybe not next time.

Oh, by the way, all but four of our return tickets were canceled and we had to work hard to rebook for our return trip. Half came back a day after originally scheduled, missing work and school.

Sad that US Airways is allowed to dominate this area for air travel. My husband and I are driving to Atlanta for our next flight in May. We hope US Airways will have their problems worked out before our next scheduled flight in August.

Judy Leonard

Davidson