US Airways passenger has enough - does something proactive

I ramble, skip to the bottom for the point/link - but read for this person's particular story

I was in the airport recently when the weather everywhere was all screwy (not working - cuz I work at Wendy's) and I had been at the ticket counter and the baggage level at different points in the night taking care of personal business, and basically being thankful that I was not working at the airport during what seemed to be a huge mess of stranded, unhappy passengers who were angry that there were no amenities provided due to the weather, etc....

It seems as if no matter how many times this happens, or how much proactive advice can be found through media, airline employees themselves, articles on how to travel less stressfully, etc, there always seem to be an overwhelming amount of people left stranded in the airport.

This was the situation that seeemed to be playing itself out , as always. My look of disgust must have been obvious, because a man very handsomely dressed in an Armani jacket approached me and asked if I were stuck in the airport. At first I was afraid I was going to get hit on, but then he handed me a very professional card that had "Flight Assure" printed on it, and explained to me that this was his business.

The short of it was, that this businessman and a partner were very loyal US fliers, but had tired of the delays and lack of amenities. He told me they could accept that the WX was not the airline's fault but in cases where the airline wasn't at fault, the amenities provided were in hotels that he felt were not adequate - very basic, some with no internet or business center available, some in a very noisy area, so he and his partners would just go stay at the Westin or whatever because they were disgusted with the lack and sometimes quality of service and compassion that was provided by an airline they were very loyal to.

So, they started a business that catered to the business traveler, the family that wanted confidence they were in a safe environment, and even non-revs. Basically, you pay a monthly fee and you register your flight with them ahead of time and if you get stranded, they cover the hotel. He told me that the had so many members that came from the US Airways misconnects that he was building a very healthy business with good feedback.

The reason I was posting this here was because
1) I wondered if anyone had heard of anything like this
2) I am glad that this person has what seems like a great business model , but saddened that the airlines seem to be putting their elites in craphole hotels
3) Since he said anyone could sign up, I thought airline employees would be interested
4) I wonder what other people's thoughts are and if any other similar businesses that kindof sprang from unhappy travelers people had heard of

I think that this is a very , very brilliant idea and hope that at some point, if US cannot offer their elites the hotel of their choice , perhaps the airline would be able to endorse this company -- it would not hurt their business at all, and would score brownie points for finding them another possible solution rather than staying at the dirthole down the street.

Assure Flight - We're not Flight Insurance, We're Flight ASSURANCE

If any one is a member of this, let me know what you think and if it has worked for you, I'm kind of fascinated by the cost vs. benefit...almost seems too good to be true.

Love you monkeys.
SNN

Great service for the business traveler. I don't think non-revs need apply as we never get a "reservation" number when we fly standby. If we gave them our PNR for our listing (maybe would work, but totally unethical,) we would soon run them out of business...or they would quickly catch on and call a halt to serving non-revs who are "stranded" all the time as a matter of course.

I would have to guess that the majority of business travelers get their lodging paid for when they have to book a hotel during airline disruptions. Do they have access to hotel rooms during weather disruptions *NEAR* an airport that my own travel agent doesn't?

Otherwise, for people who travel often and on their own dime (of which I realize there are many), it could pay for itself after just a few hotel nights in any given year.

I would have to guess that the majority of business travelers get their lodging paid for when they have to book a hotel during airline disruptions. Do they have access to hotel rooms during weather disruptions *NEAR* an airport that my own travel agent doesn't?

Otherwise, for people who travel often and on their own dime (of which I realize there are many), it could pay for itself after just a few hotel nights in any given year.
I suppose we could email them and ask?

As for the nonrev thing, i think they could check the flt number and if their plane is delayed or cancelled after standby clearance (if the person provided the boarding pass with seat) they might qualify but theres different ways that could benefit us without us finding crap ways to cheat the system.

I would much rather stay in the Westin than the Ramada on Woodlawn next to the strip bar if I were stuck. Perhaps these businessmen must turn in expense reports and it is a pain in the you know where to wait for reiumbursement?

I don't know, I've gone in, out, around and through it and it seems pretty solid. I think US needs to book their Elites at least in nicer hotels.....if this business can do it and make money, why can't the airline?

It looks like they assist with the rebooking too......I'm not sure.....but I really wish that US would endorse this or partner with this group rather than the vendor they use.

Not that it matters since I don't work there. Oh and the name is so clever. Assureflight! I want to be the poster child. Wendy's is getting on my nerves.

That's a whole nother thread.

*gnomely sigh*

During the past couple months, Tempe has acknowleged the serious problems US has with "passenger recovery". They say the are addressing the problems--has anyone seen ANY progress on that front? Or are we still torturing our customers who misconnect or whose flights are cancelled?

I've recently run into several "distressed passengers" who waited hours to be rebooked by special services and then were sent to dirty, seedy local airport motels--some even left the motels they were sent to and paid out of their own pocket for decent hotels.....

Any word on the process changing or getting better???

Taking care of the passengers we misconnect or cancel on should be a priority....the least a decent airline should do.

<SNIP> I would much rather stay in the Westin than the Ramada on Woodlawn next to the strip bar if I were stuck.
Actually, a Ramada next to a strip club sounds perfect to me. If there’s a gas station nearby that sells beer and a Chinese buffet, I’m in N965VJ nirvana.

Oops, my New Year’s resolution is to stay out of Chinese buffets.

During the past couple months, Tempe has acknowleged the serious problems US has with "passenger recovery". They say the are addressing the problems--has anyone seen ANY progress on that front? Or are we still torturing our customers who misconnect or whose flights are cancelled?
NO. YES.

It needs to start with realistic flifo times updated in a timely manner. We often show flights with a 2-10 min turn time (after the inbound is airborne) with no chance in heck of an aircraft swap or anything. Other times they give it an hour or more turn time when realistically we can do it in a lot less with a lighter load and maybe not misconx people. No one is accountable for this it appears and it happens on a daily basis. Some realistic times so we can get a better handle on just who is and isnt going to misconx would be a start. Also when flifo is updated, it doesnt take into account winds (good or bad) that will allow time to be made up or lost. It just delays the arrival by the same amount of time as the departure. Doesnt work that way.
Next would be to have an actual system in place (that works more than 25-30% of the time, especially when its hitting the fan all over the system) to get customers notified that their flight is late so they dont even have to go to the airport if its that late that they are going to misconx. I've talked to the reaccom desk and bless their hearts, they try, but whatever system we have in place now just doesnt work. It seems when the flight is 30 mins late with no conx, they get a call, but let something run an hour late with no chance of conx and it doesnt get called. Priorities would help. Also, not routing these calls (providing a special rez number IN THE USA) to the Phillipines where no one can understand them would be helpful. I had several complaints this past week where they got a call about a delay and couldnt understand the person they got in rez trying to help them rebook. Not a good time to have "BOB" trying to help our customers.
Also, having a better info system in place for the actual reason of the delay (tell me exactly what "Operational Decision" means on flight X. Too broad an explanation. How about some real time, real words delay in flifo "This flight is running late due to a weather diversion earlier in the day. No accommodations will be provided for misconx." So even IF Manila gets one of these calls they can tell the people they wont be getting a hotel instead of saying sure, US will pay and then having them yelling and screaming at us at the counter when we know it was a fog diversion that caused the delay and WE ARE NOT providing hotels. (How many more service failure complaints will that bring in?)
There is so much more in this area that needs to be worked out, but since this was LAST WEEK, almost every day in a certain city, I'm hoping that they actually will do something sooner rather than later in this process. It really is a joke. I've got to go take some meds now... :ph34r:

Hmmm... Maybe they could partner with US Airways, and US could offer this service at the checkout when passengers are buying their tickets - in return for a REV SHARE for US Airways... Then US Airways could make extra money for providing subpar service. Both companies win.