Us Airways Pilots Put Final Nail In The Coffin!

WOJetDreamer

Apr 21, 2003
www.usaviation.com
NC recalled, pilots split not only at the mainline level, and these so called HARDLINERS take a seat at the table. Well folks if you can't see what is getting ready to happen then you are blind. Just research a little on Eastern, Braniff, ect. These so called HARDLINERS are oldtimers and think they deserve to work 10 days a month and collect $200,000/year. NO CONSESSIONS, NO SCOPE RELEIF, NO REGIONAL JET mean NO USAIRWAYS

Lets all face it my fellow co workers. This isnt the glory days of the airlines anymore. People dont pay $1000+ per ticket anymore. Those people have went out and bought there own private jets. Which means the airlines dont make or have the revenue coming in to pay gate agents, ramp workers, ect. $25-$40/hour or pilots $200,000/ year. This isnt the late 80s or early 90s people. Just because you have made a career at U and was paid that kind of wage in the past doesn't mean you can hold on to it now. WELL YOU CAN BUT, YOU BETTER BE SAVING IT ALL BECAUSE WE WILL ALL BE OUT OF A JOB VERY SOON!

IMO, I think the end is very near now that the Mainline Pilots think they have gave enough with pay, work rules, scope ect. ect. Thanks you arrogant know it all Oldtimers. I am just glad I dont have a wife and family to support yet and that I am still young enough to salvage some sort of a career.

BY THE END OF THE SUMMER US AIRWAYS WILL HAVE ITS DOORS SHUT THANKS TO THE UNIONS!!!

Hard-liners replace two on union bargaining team
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A tug of war within the pilots union is threatening to derail US Airways' detente with its most influential workers group and is endangering the airline's recovery plan.

"It's bad," New York airline analyst Ray Neidl, who covers US Airways, said yesterday. "I think the pilots have moved one step closer to being unemployed."

An angry faction of pilots ousted two members of the union's bargaining team Friday and replaced them with negotiators willing to take a tougher bargaining stance with the company.

The change was made by four union leaders from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia who have been arguing that rank-and-file pilots want "change" and that union negotiators have been in power too long and have made too many concessions to US Airways.

The new chairman of the negotiating committee, Doug Mowery, is a former union leader from Philadelphia who tried unsuccessfully last month to replace union chairman Bill Pollock.

The change comes only weeks before the company is expected to approach the pilots about wide-ranging concessionary talks.

US Airways Chief Executive Officer David Siegel, who has said he needs to cut $1.5 billion from the carrier's expenses this year if US Airways is to survive, wants labor negotiations to begin this month and new labor agreements in place this summer.

Analysts said yesterday that the pilots might have made a bad decision. The airline needs "flexibility" and "cost cuts," Neidl said. "They don't have a lot of time. They have got to get cost structure down pretty quickly."

The pilots thus far are the only group that has agreed to discuss its contract with management, so their internal struggles represent a "setback," said local airline observer Bill Lauer. "I can see lots of things beginning to unravel if something can't be done with the unions in a reasonable amount of time."

WOJetDreamer said:
BY THE END OF THE SUMMER US AIRWAYS WILL HAVE ITS DOORS SHUT THANKS TO THE UNIONS!!!
Get real, the unions have given up 20,000 jobs and over $1.2 Billion a year for almost two years, while Dave gets a raise! The pilots lost millions in their pension.

You need a reality check, this company has proven it has no leadership and no plan, they violate contracts they agreed to at whim and have no regret in doing so.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Dave and his executives killed this company not the unions who agreed to TWO rounds of CONCESSIONS all ready and this management team has squandered it.

And NO airline has even been saved by employee concessions and no airline has ever been put out of business by a union.

Sounds like WOJetDreamer needs to find a non-ALPA carrier to work for. If he doesn't like what ALPA stands for, then he should resign. Last time I looked, it was still the MAJORITY that ruled at ALPA, not the frightened few. Get a backbone, man!

WOJetDreamer said:
Think about this, or would that makes too much sense.

For years and years and years this company did well and that was BEFORE the unions gave up tons of money benefits and employees, TONS, yet they made money. Now with a lot thinner work force making less money and less benefits you say it's LABOR, and you forgot to mention that labor did NOT make the decisions that put us where we are.

So all you people who preach individual personal responsibility, what about corporate responsibility, where the hell is it!!

UNIONS FAULT, sure it is, and I am the tooth fairy

700UW said:
Get real, the unions have given up 20,000 jobs and over $1.2 Billion a year for almost two years, while Dave gets a raise! The pilots lost millions in their pension.

You need a reality check, this company has proven it has no leadership and no plan, they violate contracts they agreed to at whim and have no regret in doing so.

And NO airline has even been saved by employee concessions and no airline has ever been put out of business by a union.
Read the quoted post.

Read it again, this time for comprehension.

No airline has ever survived on the backs of concessions.

cavalier said:
Think about this, or would that makes too much sense.

For years and years and years this company did well and that was BEFORE the unions gave up tons of money benefits and employees, TONS, yet they made money. Now with a lot thinner work force making less money and less benefits you say it's LABOR, and you forgot to mention that labor did NOT make the decisions that put us where we are.

So all you people who preach individual personal responsibility, what about corporate responsibility, where the hell is it!!

UNIONS FAULT, sure it is, and I am the tooth fairy
The unions gave up in 1992 and every contract I can remember since I have started we have given up.

What about the 4 1/2 years the mechanic and related did not get a raise because the company dragged its feet during negotiations from 1995 till 1999?

WOJetDreamer said:
Which means the airlines dont make or have the revenue coming in to pay gate agents, ramp workers, ect. $25-$40/hour or pilots $200,000/ year.

Please name one airline where the ground ops. personnel you've mentioned make this kind of money. Apparently, I've been working for the wrong carrier all this time!

StatioRat said:
The pilots lost millions in their pension.

Stop your crying :lol: At least you have a pension
Who's fault is that?

You should have never had to vote four times for union representation and if you are a fleet service you have now have the IAM National Pension.

WO,
You need to do some research before you go throwing numbers around. I've worked for this company for twenty five years and there isn't a Fleet Service agent or Customer Service agent that ever made $25 per hour. You must have us confused with Southwest.

cavalier said:
For years and years and years this company did well and that was BEFORE the unions gave up tons of money benefits and employees, TONS, yet they made money.
Check your calendar. It's not 1988 anymore. It hasn't been for sixteen years.

Just because the business was profitable sixteen years ago doesn't mean that the business model was good forever. If it did, no business would ever change its practices.

The 1988 business model does not work anymore. The market has changed, and thus in order to survive US Airways must change to be compatible with the new market conditions. You can blame this on whoever you wish, if that will make you feel better. Or you can wish it was 1988 again. But you cannot change reality.

Regardless if WO's facts and figures are 100% accurate, I believe he/she makes a valid point. The company needs scope relief from the pilot group (along with possible more concessiosn :angry: ) or it might just be over for good. Taking a hardline stance at this point may not be the smartest thing to do. The company is in a very deep pile of stuff and I believe Bronner when he says he will not default on the ATSB loan. I fully understand that nobody wants to give back to the current management team (and again I can understand that because of what they have done with past concessions), yet there is a big time crunch here. Something needs to come quickly from management (preferrably) or the unions, or both, or this will be over real soon. :(

All the plans that have been released depend on the RJ's to help keep US Airways afloat....no RJs, no Airways.

I guess it comes down to your job or your pride, take your pick. Either way, it's not good.

Peace!

Skeezer