700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways' problems taxi into second week 7:30 AM

07:30 AM EDT on Monday, March 12, 2007

By DIANA RUGG / WCNC
E-mail Diana: [email protected]

One week after a computer problem grounded US Airways passengers, the airline says the problem still isn't completely fixed. But the pressure is on as spring breakers are filling the flights to near capacity, meaning passengers who miss their flights will have fewer options for rebooking.

When US Airways and America West merged their computer reservations systems last week, the self-serve kiosks didn't come back online with the rest of the system. Now, according to US Airways spokeswoman Michelle Mohr, about 60 to 70 percent are working. She calls that an improvement.

“Last week we really had no success at all,†said Mohr.

If the system has improved, Charles Rice hasn’t seen it. He tried to check in at a kiosk for a trip to Fort Lauderdale, but the destination wouldn't come up.

“It has Fort Myers, it has Fort Wayne… It doesn't have Fort Lauderdale,†said Rice. "I guess I'm gonna stand in line, when I could do this."

Mohr says US Airways has technicians working 24 hours a day, seven days a week on the problem. The airline actually adopted America West’s system, called Share, and their technicians flew to Charlotte from Phoenix to monitor the transition.

The airline is also using what it calls “virtual agents†– ticket agents who are connected by phone to reservations desks in Phoenix, who can print boarding passes and bag tags at the Charlotte ticket counter without making passengers wait in line.

All this comes as the airline moves into its busy season. Passengers who missed flights because of computer delays last week were put on other flights as quickly as open seats would allow. During the spring, and until Easter, Mohr says there will be fewer open seats available. Passengers who miss flights might not be able to find another one the same day.

Mohr is hopeful that won’t happen.

“Hopefully in the next couple of days we'll have it all resolved,†said Mohr.

One thing the airline is relieved about -- the system flew through Sunday's time change without a hitch. Well, with one exception: some passengers didn’t set their clocks ahead and showed up late.

“We rebooked a few flights,†said Mohr.

US Airways says the best place to check in is online. Passengers can check in – with bags – and print a boarding pass up to 24 hours before their flights. They also advise travelers to show up two hours or more before their flights to make sure they’re not held up by any problems.

Unfortunately some people I spoke to were unable to check in on line either.

While we can understand glitches over a day or two, 8 days is totally and completely unacceptable--as is a website which is still not right after 10 months.

I will refrain from further comment, except to say that the FF's are getting restless, and I think that premium revenue at US is about to take a serious tumble.

Art do what you and the other FF NEED TO DO>
A SERIOUS MESSAGE has gotten across to Tempe, simply put they dont give a damn!

Hit them where it hurts!

Maybe the Sandcastle dudes aren't so stupid. They have figured out that, much like ALPA, the FFers will mumble and grumble, write a strongly worded letter, and then keep coming back for more. They either don't have the balls or the authority to take their business elsewhere, so instead they go on the internet and vent their frustration.

Maybe the Sandcastle dudes aren't so stupid. They have figured out that, much like ALPA, the FFers will mumble and grumble, write a strongly worded letter, and then keep coming back for more. They either don't have the balls or the authority to take their business elsewhere, so instead they go on the internet and vent their frustration.

XU,

Under different circumstances you might have been right, but based on emails from our members and responses to a poll we put out, there are almost 100 people ready to bolt now (10-20 have already). And that is just those who responded. If you consider those who act but don't post or speak, the situation could become significant.

This time people will leave--and it has already begun...and the competition smells blood-trust me.

Latest posts