US Airways profit projected to soar

Before fuel spiked to 150, this company was on track to make $1 Billion profit annually.
A nice round number to shoot for...and IMO the mgmt team will reach that goal probably next year.
Unfortunately, that profit will be used for executive bonuses, to bolster the stock price (maybe a buyback), or maybe establish a dividend. It is highly doubtful that any growth will occur (ie, more airplanes and destinations) outside of the contracted (outsourced) carriers. In order to be attractive for a merger, the company must stay lean with a strong balance sheet and plenty of cash to finance the merge.
IMO, AA will file for BK next year to rid themselves of airplanes and pensions. LCC will merge with AA and take that name.
Time frame: 2013 or thereabouts.
So, be happy about profits...it is job security of a sort for the short term, but watch what the magician has up his sleeve.

Reactions: 2 people
Well, if US has a lot of cash on hand and AA is in BK, then it will be US buying AA, not a merger of any sorts (regardless of what the combined name is). Do you think that US would then staple its on employees to the bottom of a merged list? I don't see the employment downside.

The stronger US is, the less likely they are to be acquired as their stock price should move upward.

Well, if US has a lot of cash on hand and AA is in BK, then it will be US buying AA, not a merger of any sorts (regardless of what the combined name is). Do you think that US would then staple its on employees to the bottom of a merged list? I don't see the employment downside.

The stronger US is, the less likely they are to be acquired as their stock price should move upward.
There is always an employment downside to any combination of companies. Redundant workers get the boot.
This applies to all except for executives who always come out with a large cash lump.

We just need to concentrate on our issues without speculating incessantly about another merger

AA is wishful thinking......not outside the realm of possibility......but very doubtful.

But could imagine the combined airline if that WERE to happen?

I don't think that any union on the property would pursue stapling anyone on the bottom of their combined list. Well maybe I am optimistic.

That's not to say that a certain few will undoubtedly file lawsuits asserting that their 10 years of seniority is worth 45 years in the new company and entitles them a 777 Captain seat.....most assuredly keeping this web board buzzing for many years to come.

Maybe by 2025...you know when we will probably (never) see an A350X will THIS place have a chance of being "merged". We need to concentrate on that fact - not another "elusive" merger Has anyone been around the past five years?

With this bunch in Tempe if their is $$$ to be had - so are the employees.

I don't think that any union on the property would pursue stapling anyone on the bottom of their combined list. Well maybe I am optimistic.

While "pursuing" anything is always possible, the federal law makes it nearly impossible to achieve. It would be negotiate followed by binding arbitration if necessary - certainly for pilots since USAPA represents no other pilot group and for F/A's in a merger with a non-AFA carrier.

Your sentiment is sound however - in 13 days this merger will be 5 years old and there are still two large groups of employees not integrated. There's plenty of work to be done on that front without worrying about what may or may not happen years down the road.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
"...- in 13 days this merger will be 5 years old and there are still two large groups of employees not integrated. There's plenty of work to be done on that front without worrying about what may or may not happen years down the road."

Jim

I second that.

One has to wonder how they'd be doing if they had agreed to competitive wages and not imposed more stupid fees than any other airline.

The labor situation is an embarrassment in plain terms, however management is laughing all the way to the bank....for now...

The arrogance toward both employees and customers continues, and while this financial news is good for the survival of the company short term at least, it is not good for the employees on whose backs these profits are happening, and the customers who are being nickel and dimed to death.

Either a labor action or customers banding together and saying "we've had enough-we're moving on" or both could send things in the other direction pretty quickly.

My BEST to you all.....

Reactions: 3 people
Maybe with a great solid year of profits, sometime mid next year, US will revise their current strategy of trying to build up cash reserves (If they have met their goal sooner than expected) and push up some wide body deliveries.

Latest posts