US Airways Recalls

algflyr

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
The company just sent out an additional 100 letters. This came about after the last furlough admin's update. The last letter was sent to number 1158 on the APL list. Seniority number 3941. That is about the middle of the 5/24/1999 class...

Here is a copy of the update in case anyone hasn't seen it. You have to add the additional 100 letters as they were sent out after this update was released.

-----------------------
Recall Summary

Total recalled as of: Hire date Sen # APL# Not yet Still
offered recallfurloughed

5 Feb - 139 19 Jul 89 3303 444 1372 1605
19 Feb - 153 16 Aug 89 3372 535 1320 1591
26 Feb – 173 18 Sep 89 3414 591 1278 1571
19 Mar – 193 27 Nov 89 3495 691 1198 1551
2 Apr – 213 7 Dec 98 3567 781 1126 1531

100 remaining to be recalled for class dates in Apr/May/Jun
Indoc classes scheduled for 19 Mar, 2 & 16 Apr, 7,14 & 21 May and 4
Jun

Last letter sent to Bartels 1057 on APL and 851 below him on the list

14 on military leave
10 pilots frozen at REP
1 pilot frozen at PSA
5 on disability
7 retired upon recall

I doubt Bartels will return. I think he's an A320 Captain at Jet Blue now.

What is the date of the last class at the old US Airways? How many more to reach that far?

Last class was April 2000. There are a little less than 500 folks below me to go to the bottom of that class. Additionally there are another 100 or so "CEL" pilots who moved to mainline (via MidAtlantic) below them. So, less than 600 letters to go to get to the very bottom at this point and these are for Group 2 aircraft. The 190 will go very junior and I'd expect street hiring for those airplanes pretty soon (1st Q 2008?).

Part of the problem is the withholding of guys at the J4J jobs. Many of those who'll accept recall right now are being withheld, and I think for the 190s the CEL folks (for the most part) are probably the only ones who'll consider them seriously right now. Many of them will be withheld in their J4J positions as well. The company had better be putting a hiring process in place soon IMO, just in case.

That is great! When in the 1stQ of 08 for AWA, September or January of 08? (yeah i am a pilot, not an accountant.)

You lost me after "That is great!". If you're asking whether I'm guessing (and that's all it is, a mildly educated guess!) 1st Q calendar or fiscal, I'm talking calendar, as in Jan-Mar 2008. However..... I did just see a rumor that has the VP of Flt Ops saying they'll offer the 190 FO jobs to all CEL (wholly owned commuters, PSA and PDT) pilots before hiring off the street, and it sounded as if they're expecting to do this pretty soon as interest in these jobs is very low for those on furlough. I hope that's accurate; I see no reason not to have these guys and gals flow up if they want to do so.

You lost me after "That is great!". If you're asking whether I'm guessing (and that's all it is, a mildly educated guess!) 1st Q calendar or fiscal, I'm talking calendar, as in Jan-Mar 2008. However..... I did just see a rumor that has the VP of Flt Ops saying they'll offer the 190 FO jobs to all CEL (wholly owned commuters, PSA and PDT) pilots before hiring off the street, and it sounded as if they're expecting to do this pretty soon as interest in these jobs is very low for those on furlough. I hope that's accurate; I see no reason not to have these guys and gals flow up if they want to do so.

WTF over?! You agreed to have regional pilots flow up past Mainline pilots who know the job doesn't pay enough to be a Mainline job. You accept that ALPA has agreed to such a sorry wage that it had lopped off another hunk of "Mainline" to the regionals?!

I am so grateful to be in a position to refuse returning to be a part of that mess.

WTF over?! You agreed to have regional pilots flow up past Mainline pilots who know the job doesn't pay enough to be a Mainline job. You accept that ALPA has agreed to such a sorry wage that it had lopped off another hunk of "Mainline" to the regionals?!

I am so grateful to be in a position to refuse returning to be a part of that mess.

Huh? Nobody will be flowing past a mainline pilot, just accepting a position that most of us don't want and padding the seniority list below us. Am I glad the pay's what it is? No not really, but I am glad that at least the airframes are on the mainline property; even if all CEL guys fill the FO seats it still beats them having all the seats at PSA/PDT. Plus, the fact is that these jobs will be filled by someone, so why not allow the WO pilots first shot at them?

I'm truly happy for you that you don't need to return. I wish I could say the same. I do need to return (monetarily) but still may not do so. Why? Because, like you, I see that the job is quite possibly no longer worth the sacrificies I'd have to make to fly for LCC.

Wow. At the current acceptance rate that many would probably get to the bottom of the list. I just heard 3rd hand that a pilot with a Jun '99 hire date was offered a May recall class for Group 2 equipment.

Wow. At the current acceptance rate that many would probably get to the bottom of the list. I just heard 3rd hand that a pilot with a Jun '99 hire date was offered a May recall class for Group 2 equipment.

Wow that was fast. About a week ago I passed on a May class, Group 2. (April 99 DOH, eight freaking years ago?! Are we still the newhires? :lol: )

The CEL might get Group 2?!

Its hard to imagine that things look so poor at US Mainline that such a small percentage of folks are willing to give up their current job situation to pick up a Mainline Group 2 pilot postiion that took them 10-20 years of experinece to get.

Why did I pass? With the current contract and scheduled retirements (not factoring in the possibility of age 65 change which would make it even worse) it would take me 10 years from today to get back to the same relative seniority and pay that I had when I was furloughed 5 years ago. Giving up what I have now to go back to that isn't even a question.

Maybe the integration of the seniority list in June or the new contract (this year?) could change my mind... :lol: