Us Airways Reports $177mm Q1 Loss

javaboy

Senior
Dec 23, 2003
DJ US Airways 1Q Loss $3.28/Share

(MORE) Dow Jones Newswires

04-27-04 0830ET- - 08 30 AM EDT 04-27-04

OK, they beat consensus by $0.40 a share. Thats OK.

Excluding the huge special item, their loss was about $108MM better than last year. So, doing somewhat better.

They may get close to break even for Q2. Time will tell.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040427/dctu029_1.html

"Excluding the $250 million ATSB loan prepayment and other seasonal changes in restricted cash, US Airways achieved breakeven cash performance during the first quarter."

The other interesting tidbit is that US is implementing a means to buy an IFC meal online (and hopefully at a kiosk). I imagine an IFC certificate will print when you check-in, telling the F/As you prepaid. Details have yet to be released, though.

OK....Here is the PRNewswire release:

US Q1 Results

And for your fuel zealots:

"US Airways' fuel position is 32.5 percent hedged for the second half of 2004 and 5 percent hedged for 2005."

And, yes, they were essentially cash neutral or cash positive. They paid down $250MM in debt and maintained their cash.

Hang in there folks.

ITrade -

Can you help me understand the results. Reporting a 177 Million dollar loss, did that include the 250 million dollar payment? Would that mean that we had a 73 million dollar operating profit? Lastly, how did we do all that and end up cash neutral? Seems like fuzzy math or I am jsut way to confused from lack of sleep.

This is great news, loss narrows. It is getting close to breakeven and cashflow positive.

Perhaps those Draconian cuts are not needed after all.

Keep fighting gals and guys!

ITRADE said:
And, yes, they were essentially cash neutral or cash positive. They paid down $250MM in debt and maintained their cash.
ITRADE:

I don't think that's quite the case. The following language was in the press release:

Excluding the $250 million ATSB loan prepayment and other seasonal changes in restricted cash, US Airways achieved breakeven cash performance during the first quarter.
I take that to mean that US achieved operational breakeven with cash, which is good news going forward, but on a net basis cash was negative for the quarter to the tune of about $250 million because of the ATSB loan prepayment. Do you read it differently?

Dizel8 said:
This is great news, loss narrows. It is getting close to breakeven and cashflow positive.

Perhaps those Draconian cuts are not needed after all.

Keep fighting gals and guys!
lakefield and bronner just rolled over on their chairs with that one..... ;)

Cosmo said:
I take that to mean that US achieved operational breakeven with cash, which is good news going forward, but on a net basis cash was negative for the quarter to the tune of about $250 million because of the ATSB loan prepayment. Do you read it differently?
You're right, and I should have been more clear on that. US's was operationally neutral to slightly positive - which is a good things.

But, they're nowhere close to being out of the woods yet. Q2 should be a cash positive quarter. Q3 and Q4 = ????