US Airways Revenue Generation Analysis

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com

US Airways Revenue Generation Analysis

Prepared by Chip Munn

Cost reduction is only one area that US is focusing on to return the company to profitability. Another key element in the on-going restructuring is for the airline to improve upon its industry-leading Yield RPM. According to a recent report released by AVMARK analyst Barbara Beyer, US has the highest Big 7 Yield. Specifically, the 7 top airlines Yield RPM is:

Airline – Yield RPM

US – 13.05
AA – 11.86
CO – 11.57
WN – 11.54
DL – 11.33
NW – 10.76
UA – 10.54

Source: AVMARK Consulting

In March 2002 US had slipped from its traditional top spot to about a 93 to 94% revenue disadvantage, but now has a revenue premium. This revenue improvement that leads the industry was accomplished by reducing the fleet size to 279 mainline aircraft, which was a 32-unit reduction and with the October 2002 schedule change restructuring the hubs. The Pittsburgh hub became directionalized with an East-West focus similar in scope to Delta Air Lines in Cincinnati, the Charlotte hub became omni-directional with larger, higher frequency banks due to its geographic position, similar to Delta in Atlanta, and Philadelphia focuses on O&D traffic, versus connecting flights, and is the company’s principle international gateway.

According to vice president of planning and scheduling Andrew Nocella, the changes, which reflect the 13 percent reduction in capacity, will result in an annual improvement of an estimated $400 million in additional revenue and cost reductions.

Furthermore, the company is now focusing on major initiatives to boost its revenue advantage (which is necessary to cover its higher than average unit costs) by focusing on big airline revenues, with a more modest route network. This will be accomplished with code sharing, Caribbean expansion, route reallocation, RJ deployment, East Coast focus city/airport dominance (BOS, LGA, & DCA), and its Corporate Travel Department --which is focusing its sales staff to educate key clients in the network expansion/benefits.

For example, US Airways recently pulled out of the PHL-SNA market (where the airline had just two round trips per day), due to lower than expected yield and is redeploying these assets to markets that have a higher profit potential. For example, the airline has begun flying long range, high yield flights between PHL-AUA, PHL-BGI, CLT-MEX, and yesterday announced increased service to SJO, MBJ, and PUJ.

Meanwhile, the UA alliance is exceeding expectations and US has gained over 10,000 passengers per day with 1,100 code share flight segments from this new business relationship. Later this year the LH alliance will begin, which is expected to add $50 million per year to the bottom line and then in Q1 2004 the Star Alliance will commence that will provide another $25 million per year in bottom line profits. In addition, the GoCaribbean network is growing and today the DOT approved US Airways’ alliance with Caribbean Sun Airlines (sister of Caribbean Star) that will add additional incremental revenue.

In regard to RJs, US will begin receiving revenue from its EMB-170 product in January 2004, which will be a 70-seat, two-class cabin, mainline type aircraft, operated at the lowest industry RJ CASM. Not that this is good for employee pay and benefits, but these mainline like narrowbody aircraft will have the lowest industry RJ labor expense. When you combine this product with worldwide airline passenger amenities (FFP, Clubs, interline baggage check in, etc.), I agree with Siegel that this product will change the game and be revolutionary.

Meanwhile, for the U.S. airline industry May pricing data showed improvement, but was behind expectations, especially on the domestic front.

Most observers expected the combination of pent up demand, capacity reductions and a peak leisure period would drive larger improvements; however, this was not the case.

However, ATA reports show unit revenue improved in May as traffic rebounded (slightly) and incremental capacity cuts remained intact.

According to an analyst report, domestic RASM improved by 1.0%, the first positive comparison since December, while System RASM improved by 1.6% following 3 months of negative comparisons. Atlantic RASM was surprisingly strong while Domestic data was a bit disappointing up 1%). The Pacific was expectedly atrocious and Latin America was relatively flat. The measured Domestic demand shortfall at 24.4%, an improvement from April, but still well off of pre-war levels.

Unfortunately, yield is a grossly exaggerated measure of success. You can have the industry-leading yield, but without competitive LFs, the RASM (key revenue-success indicator) will lag behind. I''m unaware of U''s current LFs but from what I''ve seen recently, they lag behind most of the other "Big 7".

Now...tell me if their RASM was up or down. If the industry was up only 1.0%, It is likely that only one or two carriers contributed much to the increase. Others...including U...could have seen a decrease.

"This revenue improvement that leads the industry was accomplished by reducing the fleet size to 279 mainline aircraft"

Yield is measured by seats filled...not by available seats. Reduction in fleet size should have had nothing to do with the increased yields. Higher fares or shorter trip lengths would be the cause.

I''d like to see U continue to improve, but these benchmarks aren''t very representative of a return to success.

----------------
On 6/20/2003 7:10:29 AM Ch. 12 wrote:

Unfortunately, yield is a grossly exaggerated measure of success. You can have the industry-leading yield, but without competitive LFs, the RASM (key revenue-success indicator) will lag behind. I''m unaware of U''s current LFs but from what I''ve seen recently, they lag behind most of the other "Big 7".

Now...tell me if their RASM was up or down. If the industry was up only 1.0%, It is likely that only one or two carriers contributed much to the increase. Others...including U...could have seen a decrease.

"This revenue improvement that leads the industry was accomplished by reducing the fleet size to 279 mainline aircraft"

Yield is measured by seats filled...not by available seats. Reduction in fleet size should have had nothing to do with the increased yields. Higher fares or shorter trip lengths would be the cause.

I''d like to see U continue to improve, but these benchmarks aren''t very representative of a return to success.

----------------​
You could fly 100% filled LF and still lose money. So, LF is not going to do it.

RASM v. CASM is the key.

----------------
On 6/20/2003 7:58:01 AM ITRADE wrote:

You could fly 100% filled LF and still lose money. So, LF is not going to do it.

RASM v. CASM is the key.

----------------​
I''m saying that when looking at Yield as a measure, you also need to look at how full the flights are. If you have the industry''s highest yields and if you were able to achieve among the highest LFs, then it is safe to say that the carrier would be at the top as far as "revenue generation" goes. I was only referring to the topic of the post (revenue generation) and the measures used (yield).

I couldn''t agree more...for overall profitability, then you would look at RASM and CASM. If you just want revenue success, then you would use RASM which can also be derived from Yield and LF.

The original post seemed to me to be misleading in that it tried to say that by having the highest yield, U was on the path to improvement.

So if Cost per seat mile remain constant, then "Just call me Dave" needs to increase Revenue per seat mile.
Can we do that while driving our customers away daily?? Doubt it....

Any rumors on schedule reductions for September or October???

----------------
On 6/20/2003 6:37:05 AM Chip Munn wrote:
According to a recent report released by AVMARK analyst Barbara Beyer Source: AVMARK Consulting
----------------​
May we please provide the person whom you've referenced as a source with the credit she so rightly deserves?
It is: Ms. Barbara L. Beyer, President of AVMARK, Inc.
Further, your overall source should be referenced as follows: AVMARK, Inc.**

**"Marketing and Management Consulting Firm dedicated to the commercial aviation market place". - www.avmarkinc.com

----------------
On 6/20/2003 6:37:05 AM Chip Munn wrote:

...and yesterday announced increased service to SJO, MBJ, and PUJ.
-----​

What kind of increased service? I have not seen anything on this Chip???

Someone posted a link last week to a report that these destinations were going to see increased service beginning this winter.

It sems to me, if the load factor is very high, rather then eliminate service as we are doing in SNA and like we did in DAB, whay not raise the fares until Load Factor drops off. That will be an accurate indicator of the maximum fare the market will bear.
Also, why dosen''t this company have a coordnator for community activities. When UT plays in Knoxville, Delta flies in with 767''s, we use Dash 8''s. Surely we can adjust our service to take advantage of regional activities that draw large numbers of passengers. Bet Boston could use a bunch of 75''s during the Marathon and Indy could use some additional lift during the Indy 500. Well, you get the idea. I would love to hear Ben Baldanza''s and Dave Seigel''s explanation why we don''t explore these options. I guess they''re too busy eliminating full flights.

Actually Capt Bud, they did use increased lift to AGS during the masters and an increase of flights of IND during the 500 and they threw a 757 on a clt-mke RON then back to CLT when an event was ongoing up there.

Deutsche Bank Securities Revenue Report

NEW YORK (Business Travel News) - Deutsche Bank Securities analyst Susan Donofrio, in a research note late last week, said the average lowest unrestricted business fare in U.S. markets was down 4 percent year over year for the second consecutive week. According to Deutsche Bank, US Airways'' 5 percent increase was the largest among major carriers, while the biggest decline, 15 percent, came from United Airlines.

Best regards,

Chip