US Airways sees benefits of charging for drinks

US Airways sees benefits of charging for drinks
The airline's president says eliminating free beverage service has reduced cabin logjams and restroom lines.

From Bloomberg News
September 19, 2008

US Airways Group Inc., the only U.S. carrier to charge for sodas, coffee and tea, said its new policy has cut cabin congestion and the time flight attendants spend serving drinks.

The attendants, who initially opposed the program, would "riot" if the airline tried to return to the old system of free nonalcoholic beverages, President Scott Kirby said Thursday at a Calyon Securities conference in New York.

Linkage

The drink is part of a ticket, in my mind. You're buying air transportation service and that service nearly always includes a free drink of at least water.

If they wanted to legitimately do this, they'd do what the freight carriers have done and have a fuel surcharge that adjusts with the price of oil. They claim they're charging for drinks to pay for the skyrocketing price of oil...why not CHARGE for the oil?

Basically, the whole program exposes them for the liars they are.

Poppycock!!

First, the f/a's wouldn't "riot" if they went back to free drinks. Idiotic and ill informed statement.

And the lines to the lavs are just as long because folks are bringing their own and they are the super sized drinks.

<_<

Free sodas are a waste. 90% just took it because it was there. The waste must stop in all forms! Want a free soda. Simply fly someone else! Freedom to choose your airline is still a right in this country.

While the f/a's would not riot, the cabin IS quieter, IS calmer, less congestive, and DOES have smaller bathroom lines. It has been heaven!

A younger friend of mine was traveling to Norfolk from Los Angeles with her husband and doesn't fly often and asked my advice. The logical choice is US Airways through Charlotte, right? We crunched the numbers and determined that for two people, on identical fares between Continental, Southwest and US Airways.

Southwest - $398 per person (connecting on Nashville)
US Airways - $494 per person (connecting in Charlotte)
Continental $279 per person (connecting at Newark)

Southwest has free drinks, free online booking, FREE SNACK PACK, and first two bags free.

If they flew US Airways, they could anticipate at least $10 each way for drinks. If they want to eat a buy-on-board add another $14 each way. Then, two bags per person is going to be even more, etc.

Continental is the best value in this case...Even with their new bag fees, they will still come out below Southwest and they've got free food and drinks and superior service to either US or Southwest.

For a young couple traveling on a budget, this one is a no-brainer. I'm no fan of Southwest, but let me tell you, the value is REALLY REALLY lacking on US Airways and I'm not the only air traveler who notices this.

You should have been on my last leg out of LAS. Just about everyone bought a drink or two or three. Plus BOB.

They are getting used to it and they're buying. And pee-peeing too.

Free sodas are a waste. 90% just took it because it was there.

How about people concerned about personal hydration in a dry environment? The government SEIZES our water bottles at security, thus putting us at the mercy of the airline or the airport vendors...that amounts a post-9/11 government SHAKE DOWN conspiracy if you ask me.

Using a terrorist attack as an excuse to shake down airline passengers for more purchases and for no other legitimate reason other than to make people feel the "illusion" of security.

<SNIP> Continental is the best value in this case...Even with their new bag fees, they will still come out below Southwest and they've got free food and drinks and superior service to either US or Southwest.
Parker’s stated target customer is now the leisure traveler. How many will come back next year after realizing all the little fees and surcharges they had to pay at US?

The drink is part of a ticket, in my mind. You're buying air transportation service and that service nearly always includes a free drink of at least water.

If they wanted to legitimately do this, they'd do what the freight carriers have done and have a fuel surcharge that adjusts with the price of oil. They claim they're charging for drinks to pay for the skyrocketing price of oil...why not CHARGE for the oil?

Basically, the whole program exposes them for the liars they are.

Bobbie a fuel surcharge by law has to be included up front at time of purchase.
So your back to the raising fares delima, this has nothing to do with honesty but praticality.

Free sodas are a waste. 90% just took it because it was there. The waste must stop in all forms! Want a free soda. Simply fly someone else! Freedom to choose your airline is still a right in this country.

While the f/a's would not riot, the cabin IS quieter, IS calmer, less congestive, and DOES have smaller bathroom lines. It has been heaven!
:ph34r: :ph34r: And wait until contract talks resume and they ( Tmpe ) wants to cut your pay for doing NOTHING inflight. Just wait and see you 're due for another paycut!!

Southwest dumped the snack pack.

They now have a big colorful Nabisco box with 3 slots - i can't quite remember all of them - but one slot is Ritz crackers & cheeze (6 pack), some kind of cookie (oreo?), and then the last slot was wheat thins I believe. The FAs seemed to let anyone take as many as they wanted.

On the shorter & longer flights, they still do the pretzels or peanut service.

Latest posts