US Airways Stock in Freefall

westcoastflyer

Advanced
Aug 12, 2004
US Airways stock closed on January 8, 2009 at $9.57 per share; today it is trading at under $2.90. That's a huge decline, nearly a 70% drop in value in only the last 6 weeks. This is about twice the decline in value as most other airline stocks. Does anyone else think this is an alarming development?

I think the Board of Directors needs to step in and do the job they were appointed too. They need to fire Doug and get a new team. Full engines reverse because this is not working. They think last years shareholders meeting was bad? Evelyn Davis will really hand it to them.

I think the Board of Directors needs to step in and do the job they were appointed too. They need to fire Doug and get a new team. Full engines reverse because this is not working. They think last years shareholders meeting was bad? Evelyn Davis will really hand it to them.

how can you not agree with that

Here we go again. This must be a yearly event, because last year they fell to under a $1.50. Other airline stocks are heading down, too.

If it heads below a buck fifty again, I am definitely buying some stocks!

I have made a bunch of money 3 times in this stock with short term buys. Right after 9-11, before the merger, and early last year. Each time only had to hold for a few months before I started taking profits. But I would never ever invest in airline stocks.

Parker has done a fantastic job .. what is happening now is not his fault and most people know this ... our stock is in free fall as the other tread talks about , and there are reasons for this that do not involve our company ..

Parker , you did a fine job! :up:

(seems like) every time that our stock dives Dangerously low, it always rebounds(to a certain extent).
But the law of averages say, that sooner or later it will go down, but Never to return !

Mrs Peabody

Isn't that what Bush said to the head of FEMA in New Orleans?

ah but you see the head of FEMA was a failure while doug parker has been by and large a sucess ....

our company is alive today because of parker combining us airways and america west airlines ... our planes are clean , we arrive and depart on time ... it's fantastic !!!! we rock! i love this job!!!!!

To our haters , keep on hating ... and if we do get taken out , it won't be because we were a bad airline but because of events beyond our control (the us economy )

Will all airlines be taken out by the economy?
Exactly....perfect question...because if the economy is going to take out an airline, why would it pick on US alone???

What I think most people fail to realize is that a "recession" is a good thing...it cleanses the economy and the society of "old thinking," businesses and products that simply don't work any longer. For some reason, we as a society fight natural cycles and villify them....which then prolongs them.

What's happening right now is nothing more than an alarm that it's time to change.

I hope US survives...I don't actually want "fewer airlines." But honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing it. Companies that have little to offer the high yield passengers are in trouble...and that's a big reason why WN has been working hard to make their product more appealing to the business traveler...and they have succeeded.

Meanwhile, US has kicked business travelers to the curb. As the WN CEO proudly thumped his chest a while back..."we have more business travelers then most airlines." And he's right....fly on them some time and it's not hard to see.

Fly on US and see passengers with their carry ons in hefty trash bags...I'd argue those aren't business travelers. LOL

Latest posts