US Airways to lay off 471 pilots - 915 attendants, daily flights also facing cutbacks

C

chipmunn

[A href=http://www.post-gazette.com/businessnews/20021026usairbus1p1.asp]http://www.post-gazette.com/businessnews/20021026usairbus1p1.asp[/A]

[P]He's probably furloughed. It went down to August 1988. Here's a joke for you: What do you call a first officer at US Airways? Captain.[/P]
[P] [/P]
[P] [/P]

Chip,

What does that take the date of hire back to? I had a People Express crash pad roommate who left CO for US in the Fall of '88. He'd be a B757 CA right now if he had stayed.

I just wonder how many of the furloughed, or soon to be voted yes to the contract? The labor friendly company took care of them!

I imagine labor friendly would be to do nothing more than already has been done even in light of the most recent decline in pax travel. Voting yes was a vote to save the company. It is amazing that people still think this is an evil plot to pillage labor. This company is in a life or death struggle and attempting to stay alive by any means they can. Yes, that means people will lose their jobs. That is what happens in tough times. A shame but necessary. We are not alone. Every airline will lay off people or already has. We just happen to be in worse shape than most others.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/26/2002 3:38:54 PM copilot wrote:

Chip,

What does that take the date of hire back to? I had a People Express crash pad roommate who left CO for US in the Fall of '88. He'd be a B757 CA right now if he had stayed.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Chip left UAL in 1985 for a brighter career at U. One never knows if they made the right choice until they retire, and even then, they'd be smart to take the lump sum distribution.

And to think I left PE for a brighter career at AA... Where would I be at CO today??

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/26/2002 11:49:38 PM trvlr64 wrote:

I see a fat lady nailing a coffin shut.
----------------
[/blockquote]
trvlr64...I find your comments very strange. I saw the fat lady just yesterday....and the only thing she was nailing was more than her fair share of ourComplimentary Peanuts ...I wonder if we should have charged her for a double-wide seat like WN does?

In all fairness to the company I do believe they are overreacting to the situation. Historically between Labor Day and Thanksgiving that is been our slow period. Granted we are now in a new business environment and all airlines have no idea what that brings to the industry. Lots of uncertinaty for our industry. I would prefer to see maybe half of what the company is planning to layoff, and if that does not work then do the other half. Business will pick up, it is just no one knows when. I would like to see us ready to adjust to the pick up of business than having to play catch up. We as an airline are treading just like the others upon virgin ground. The company has gotten the concessions that they wanted from labor and now needs to address the way they do business. No doubt more trying times for all employees of any airline. One needs to remember there is always a light at the end of the tunnel and it is there for us although it is dimly twinkling at the far end of the tunnel but it is there.

Yes, business will pick up. But in order to satisfy judges, creditors and ATSB loan boards there are certain stipulations that we must meet. I'm certain Dave would love to carry the excess fat until the day the people come back but he may very well have to do what is required by the aforementioned people. This airline WILL survive. What it will look like after this fiasco however, is anyone's guess. My guess is that it will look a lot like the Allegheny I was hired at in the mid 70's. Maybe that is what we should have been all along. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. No one knows just how long that tunnel is though. No one.

mrplanes...what is ironic is that the stipulations that U has to meet in order to get the loan could also be the final coffin nail in the history of U when the biz does pick back up. Just my humble observation.....