US Airways to Recall Pilots as Fleet of 100-Seat Jets Grows

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways to Recall Pilots as Fleet of 100-Seat Jets Grows

See Story

The US Airways ALPA Training Committee recently met with senior management. Highlights of the meeting include:

1. US Airways has 3 EMB-190's, there will be a total of 10 on the property by the end of 2007, and 24 by the end of 2008.

2. Management is having difficulty filling EMB-190 First Officer positions. The company may have to hire pilots to fill the positions.

3. The A340's are coming to US Airways, whether or not the airline obtains the China route. If US Airways does not obtain the Asian route the aircraft will be flown from Phoenix to Tel Aviv and London Heathrow (Note - the potential exists for Philadelphia to Tel Aviv service too).

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Why would an airline that is cheap about everything suddenly spend the rather large sums of money that heathrow slots will be going for?

Nevermind the fact that any ability to attract premium traffic PHL-LHR will be stymied by the fact that BA's product kicks the crap out of Envoy.

Are you sure there looking at PHX for these routes, that would be excellent news for us out here in PHX, but I thought they were only looking to expand overseas from PHL according to the crew news sessions ans possibly in the future a phx-fra flight.

It seems foolish to me that they purchase these 2 or 3 A345's when they could probably find some 332's that will compliment the order coming in another 2 years.

In fact, if there was no China application I doubt they would even be entertaining the idea of the 345. That, to me, is putting too many eggs in one basket and spending foolishly. If the China app falls through, you're stuck with some pigs with wings that will be underutilized.

Is there really enough O&D and connection traffic to fill up PHX-TLV? 2-3 times/week, but certainly not 7.

[
2. Management is having difficulty filling EMB-190 First Officer positions. The company may have to hire pilots to fill the positions.

Maybe they will realize that none of us furloughees are willing to work for the horrible rates that they are paying on the 190. JetBlue had the same problem and management there raised the rates due to a large amount of new hires leaving for greener pastures. Oh I forgot the boys in Tempe only now how to screw things up here instead of making things better.

I wouldn't fly that E190 as an F/O for less than 85,000 in returning pay dollars (year 3) and 130,000 as a Captain.

It can sit.The pay as it stands now for both positions is a professional insult.

In 2006 seventy-four JetBlue newhires who flew the EMB-190 resigned due to the aircraft's low pay rate. In response management raised the pay rate 3%.

US Airways is evaluating A340 service from both PHL & PHX across the Atlantic Ocean. This new service would be offered if US Airways does not obtain China and Japan service. In addition, these aircraft could used to Europe in the interim until Asian service begins, assuming DOT route approval. Regardless, the ALPA Training Committee was told by the company it is going to obtain A340s.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

route approval. Regardless, the ALPA Training Committee was told by the company it is going to obtain A340s.
How MANY 340s? I thought I read here that only 2 from AC were available. Are there more available from another source?

If the ALPA guys that get to vote on the pay scale had to actually fly for the pay they agree to...

I say let pilots stay till 65, and past 60 they have to go on furlough, reserve, or the lowest pay scale. :lol:

How ironic. The airline that once founded its high yield market share on 100 seat airplanes (DC9-BAC11-F100) is reinventing the wheel again by bringing a whopping 25 lowest pay in the industry 100 seaters on line by the end of 2008.

Let's see. How much did a BAC111 Captain/First Officer earn back in 1988? What kind of purchasing power did that income yield?

Hey, they 57% of the pilots that voted in favor of LOA 93 didn't all come from the top third of the seniority list. There are a lot of junior bedwetters that share in that distinction and are now living the dream they voted to accept.

The job market out there must be mighty tough if furloughed USAirways pilots actually WANT to return to an airline that has so little to offer in so many ways.

3. The A340's are coming to US Airways, whether or not the airline obtains the China route. If US Airways does not obtain the Asian route the aircraft will be flown from Phoenix to Tel Aviv and London Heathrow (Note - the potential exists for Philadelphia to Tel Aviv service too).

Regards,

USA320Pilot[/font]
[/quote]

Potential? Get an airplane because of its potential new markets? Heck, there's a couple of unused Saturn V rockets lying around after Apollos 18, 19 and 20 were cancelled. Why not just buy them and sell tickets to the moon? We wouldn't actually have to fly the missions. Just over-sell the flight, cancel it and blame it on the weather or ATC or martians.