Us Airways To Start Vail Service

USFlyer

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
US Airways to Start Vail Service
Wednesday September 3, 12:08 pm ET

ARLINGTON, Va., Sept. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- US Airways announced today that it will begin seasonal weekend roundtrip service to Vail from its hubs in Charlotte, N.C., and Philadelphia, on Dec. 20, 2003. The service will continue through April 4, 2004.
ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte-Vail service will operate using 193-seat Boeing 757 aircraft. Flights will depart Charlotte each Saturday at 8:30 a.m., and will arrive in Vail at 10:28 a.m. Return flights will depart Vail at 11:40 a.m., and will arrive in Charlotte at 4:45 p.m.

Philadelphia-Vail service will operate each Saturday and Sunday, also using Boeing 757 aircraft. Flights will depart Philadelphia at 9:45 a.m., and will arrive in Vail at 12:14 p.m. Return flights will depart Vail at 1:15 p.m., and will arrive in Philadelphia at 6:42 p.m.

"Vail and Beaver Creek are world-class ski destinations, drawing international and domestic visitors alike," said Daniel M. McDonald, US Airways vice president of planning and scheduling. "The feed provided through our codeshare relationship with United, combined with our strong East Coast presence, supports our ability to begin new service to a such a premier Western U.S. destination."

"We're thrilled to be expanding air service to Charlotte and Philadelphia. Both markets offer tremendous opportunity to generate exposure of Vail and Beaver Creek, both of which are within 30 minutes of the Vail Eagle airport, and build upon our winter destination business," said Chris Jarnot, vice president of marketing for Vail and Beaver Creek Resorts.

Customers will be able to fly nonstop to Vail on US Airways on the weekends or connect with the US Airways-United codeshare on weekdays.

US Airways is offering an introductory special of triple Dividend Miles in First Class and double Dividend Miles in Coach Class for travel between Vail and both Charlotte and Philadelphia, Dec. 20, 2003 - Jan. 31, 2004. Members must register before departure at usairways.com/dm/8555 or by calling 1-800-872-4738 and entering bonus request 8555.

This offer is applicable on published fares on US Airways nonstop or direct flights between Charlotte/Philadelphia and Vail. This offer may not be combined with other flight bonus offers. Retroactive mileage credit will not be given prior to registration. All Dividend Miles terms and conditions apply.

US Airways is the nation's seventh-largest airline, serving nearly 200 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. Most of its route network is concentrated in the eastern U.S., where it is the largest air carrier east of the Mississippi. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and the US Airways Express partner carriers operate over 3,300 flights per day. For more information on US Airways flight schedules and fares, contact US Airways online at usairways.com.

Dave can fly positive space on any airline, he does not need to have US fly there.

LavMan said:
It is mainline flying but no one in the carribean is a us employee.
Hate to break it to you Lav, but no one in Vail is going to be a US employee either...so it makes no difference other than maybe having a 757 flying with people on it during the weekends....

OldGuyinPA said:
This makes a lot of sense for a regional carrier.

I guess Dave and his crew need a ride to the slopes. When will this end.... :down:

Sweet Home Alabama...
I guess the idea is Aircraft utilization. U operates a reduced schedule on Saturdays and is probably tring to up utilization and generate revenue. one of the reasons LUV's unit cost are so low is productivity and aircraft utilization. This and the othe Satuday service to the Caribbean actuall makes sense from that stand point. Scary. :shock:

OldGuyinPA said:
This makes a lot of sense for a regional carrier.
Are you completely without a clue???? Half of the people in my office discuss and plan on flying to Vail/Eagle for the ski season at some point this coming year.

We're talking about a $450/seat route.

Did anybody happen to notice that it's only U on the weekends UAL during the week. I we are feeding them all the time.

Maybe we should just give it all away.......... :ph34r:

AM49AAA said:
I guess the idea is Aircraft utilization. U operates a reduced schedule on Saturdays and is probably tring to up utilization and generate revenue. one of the reasons LUV's unit cost are so low is productivity and aircraft utilization. This and the othe Satuday service to the Caribbean actuall makes sense from that stand point. Scary. :shock:
Bingo!

It's this type of stuff that makes me think that management at U knows what it's doing. It makes what it's NOT doing so conspicuous, like advertise, promote the brand, clean the plane, etc.

It's the BASIC things at U that needed attention: cost structure and aircraft utilization, which is a component of unit cost, I guess.

I think we need to dispose of the word 'regional' as such a sensitive word. I'm not sure what it means but it seems to be a way for U and UAL employees to insult each other. Next time I'm annoyed at my co-worker, I'm going to call him/her a 'stinkin' regional!" or I could decide to grow up.

Doc said:
Did anybody happen to notice that it's only U on the weekends UAL during the week. I we are feeding them all the time.

Maybe we should just give it all away.......... :ph34r:
So, how much money is U making taking folks to Vail, now? How much will they be making by taking folks to Vail nonstop on Sat and codeshare during the week? (Oh and by the way with a bigass 757 that would otherwise be sitting around or ferrying 20 folks to BWI.)

However, I tend agree with you that U doesn't seem to have any intention of preserving its brand identity. Still, that flight is going to show up as a nonstop on search engines on Saturday, which is going to put it at the top of the list when internet searchers are most likely to be looking for a flight to Vail. Those folks will remember that they flew on USAirways and might be cognizant of the corporate identity from the internet.

I'm still guessing that the brand will change, though.

Gosh, actually flying to where people want to go ! What a concept !....
Maybe they will also think about starting service to Salt Lake City or Jackson Hole seasonally.
Also, I know with the economic problems in Brazil that things are tough at times there, but we are putting a lot of people on flights to MIA and IAD to make connections to AA and UA to Sao Paulo. Perhaps someday soon we may start our own service there too???

Latest posts