Us Airways Warns It May Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Today the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported, "US Airways disclosed Friday that it is now seeking more than $950 million from its labor groups. If unions do not agree to the permanent cuts, just as they resisted the temporary cuts requested last week, the airline can ask the court to enforce the changes."

See Story

USA320Pilot comments: Prior to bankruptcy US Airways was seeking $800 million in cost cuts and now in bankruptcy it is seeking $950 million in labor cost cuts. ALPA's advisors predicted the cuts would get larger as time wnet on and guess what? They did. ALPA's RC4 and the other labor unions are once again hurting theri members. Maybe it's time for a DFR lawsuit against every union leader?

Accordig to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "Whoever thinks the numbers are going to go down probably needs to go for a drug test," said dispatcher Don Wright, the only labor leader to lock in new contract changes before the company approached a bankruptcy judge last night about a temporary 23 percent pay cut and a host of other contract changes. "It is not going to happen. That is just not how bankruptcy works."

Post-bankruptcy, the total savings needed by the airline are now "closer" to $2 billion, said union official Chris Fox, who learned of the increase in a Thursday meeting with Lakefield and other senior executives. "As time goes on, it goes up," said Fox, president of Communications Workers of America Local 13302, which represents gate workers and reservation agents.

See Story

ALPA's advisors continue to bat 1000% and the RC4 and other union leaders are batting zero, while the proposals keep getting worse for each union, except the TWU Dispatch.

In regard to the CWA, I understand the hourly wage rate cold now drop to about $12 per hour for both mainline and mainline/express.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

ALPA's advisors continue to bat 1000% and the RC4 and other union leaders are batting zero, while the proposals keep getting worse for each union, except the TWU Dispatch.

Maybe it's time to recall every union rep and file DFR lawsuits, where there would be personal liability in the hundreds of millions of dollars against their personal estates and future earnings.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

You are like a broken record 320...

How can one day be @ 800 million and the next day @ 950 million..? It seems there is NO plan, but to take money & break contracts.

Maybe Lakefield can lead by example and take a $110,000 pay cut to show us how it's done. Then Crellin can take a $150,000 pay cut and so on & so on. No one is stopping them from leading by example.

They want money and we want a SOUND business plan with some input from Labor. Is that an "evil" request to make..? Many of us have been here for years and want to continue to be here, all we ask is for is some good direction towards making a profit.

Evidently the current MGT, is not headed for that direction...!

USA320Pilot said:
In regard to the CWA, I understand the hourly wage rate cold now drop to about $12 per hour for both mainline and mainline/express.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="184634"][/post]​

320 we have a hard time hiring people that can pass the drug and background check at today’s wages..... Delta tried this on their ramp.... they had to do a recall and reinstate pay. Who do you want loading baggage and boarding passengers on your trip, Abdul Ali Hateamerica??? :ph34r: Or a stoned Beavis and Butthead??? :blink:
b_balien.jpg

PITbull said:
Market Place dictates survivalbility.
If they can't make it....it closes.
[post="184638"][/post]​

This is great, logical, compassionate, reasonable thinking - get tens of thousands of folks completely unemployed right before the holiday season, scrambling to find other jobs. As opposed to taking a pay cut, getting a pay check, and voluntarily looking for other jobs.

I'm so glad that my career does not involve unions, this is a prime example of the kind of thinking I want absolutely no part of or to ever be forcibly associated with. I never liked fraternities and after watching this kind of thinking portrayed around here, I greatly prefer to be on my own to handle life's challenges instead of lumped into groups that have a mentality like this.

320, You better take a quick math class. CWA Mainline tops out at just over $19 an hour. Now what would -23% of that come to? Not $12, as you have stated. Furthermore the Company has stated that their request for the 23% Excludes Mainline Express and MDA which now top out at $13 and $14 for MDA. Quit tossing all of your Faulse propaganda on these boards for once!!! You post nothing more than the Gloom and Doom view that everyone better just cave in or else. Get it thru your Head, We are NOT going to keep giving to save your 6 figure salary. I for one await the day that you are planted in the right seat of an EMB-170...maybe then you will be silenced.

You know, it would be better for the industry if USAir just went out of business. Its gonna happen anyway, any particular reason you want to keep dragging down the salaries for the WHOLE industry 320pilot?

BOHICA

Heinrich said:
This is great, logical, compassionate, reasonable thinking - get tens of thousands of folks completely unemployed right before the holiday season, scrambling to find other jobs. As opposed to taking a pay cut, getting a pay check, and voluntarily looking for other jobs.

I'm so glad that my career does not involve unions, this is a prime example of the kind of thinking I want absolutely no part of or to ever be forcibly associated with. I never liked fraternities and after watching this kind of thinking portrayed around here, I greatly prefer to be on my own to handle life's challenges instead of lumped into groups that have a mentality like this.
[post="184697"][/post]​
Now now, talk like that will get you a good whipping. You are going against the grain therefore you must be insane, sick, stupid, in need of professional help, you get the picture.

In this country unions represent 13% of the entire workforce and there is a reason for this. In Pittsburgh for a good example: The “shut it down mentality†has cost thousands their jobs, thousand upon thousands and yet that mentality persists. When it’s all over, and I personally believe it will be, the unions will be in the media blaming it on management and union breaking and screaming "how can we make a living when we don't make $20 an hour"! I strongly suggest they ask all the "millions" of people who make it on less.

When I was hired at U, I was told the hardest thing I would have to do from that point on was stay awake, sadly it was true. Unions are not by far “blameless†like you read on these boards, and management sure as hell isn't blameless either making inept individuals millionaires and a BOD who kept hiring people that are clueless in this business and lack even more importantly, people skills to get the work force to flowing in harmony. U has been in disarray as long as I have been there and the mentality of “we have always done it that way" never did go away, instead U is going away because of all these facts.

Another good paying job in the Pittsburgh area that with the unions help was lost, and they wonder why getting new union membership is all but impossible anymore. Making close to $20 an hour sweeping the floors and delivering parts was a fantasy brought to you by unions, and now it’s time to wake up and live in reality.

The one thing I will always remember from these boards is the phrase: “Livable Wage†because obviously the rest of the existing country, “87 percent†is living on a die-able wage. If I am dead wrong then why are the numbers so slanted with unions versus non union percentages these days?

And then there is the one man theory, “Jerry Glass†who brought the unions to their knees. It’s always the “other†guy because union members don’t own mirrors. It’s BOTH!

The unions and management are to blame for U’s demise, and it’s obviously coming unless God intervenes. Look no further than these boards to see into the window at U and tell me truthfully how a company can go on with such dissention and strife and downright hatred you read here. You can’t tell me differently because it’s truth.

Cav, no offense, but why did you take the job with US Airways? If you knew in your heart that taking a job where the hardest requirement was "just staying awake" didn't you realize the parade was going to end at some point? And, why throw stones now? Afterall, you clearly benefitted from union protection and a US Air paycheck.

USA320Pilot said:

Maybe it's time to recall every union rep and file DFR lawsuits, where there would be personal liability in the hundreds of millions of dollars against their personal estates and future earnings.

[post="184641"][/post]​

Maybe you should sue the people who the union reps represent. Obviously, none have been recalled so the membership must support what they are doing. Anyone represented by an elected official ultimately bears responsibility for the actions of that official.

Status
Not open for further replies.