US Airways watches fleet size as air travel drags

USAirBoyA330

Veteran
Aug 23, 2002
By Robert Melnbardis

MONTREAL, May 13 (Reuters) - US Airways Group Inc. , which recently emerged from bankruptcy, is reviewing whether it may have to cut back fleet capacity to cope with lower demand for air travel, the company said on Tuesday.

David Siegel, president and chief executive of US Airways, said demand for passenger air travel has rebounded since the end of the war in Iraq, but not to prewar levels.

US Airways, which is based in Arlington, Virginia and is the seventh-largest U.S. air carrier, emerged from bankruptcy protection at the end of March. Siegel said the airline has stabilized its fleet in the short term, but that may change.

We are the only major network carrier that has not yet reduced its mainline fleet on a permanent basis given that lower demand, but we are still watching that situation and haven''t come to any definitive decisions there, Siegel told reporters.

Siegel was in Montreal for a signing ceremony on US Airways'' $2.2 billion order for 85 regional jets from Bombardier Inc. .

On Monday, US Airways unveiled a $4.3 billion order for regional jets that it split between Montreal-based Bombardier, the world''s third-largest civil aircraft maker, and Bombardier''s Brazilian rival Embraer SA .

Siegel said US Airways split the order to take delivery of the jets faster, as 50- and 70-seat regional jets are central to its plan to further cut costs and boost margins.

As part the each order, US Airways also agreed to take over jets from both manufacturers that had already been ordered by GE Capital Aviation Services--36 made by Bombardier and 30 by Embraer.

We were very interested in the GE order book. From the US Airways perspective that would enable us to more quickly deploy regional jets into the network, Siegel said.

He would not divulge details about financing of the big jet orders, prices paid for the aircraft, or terms of the GE jet order transfer.

Pierre Beaudoin, president of Bombardier Aerospace, said the company will participate in arranging financing for the sale, and may consider seeking a low interest loan for US Airways from the Canadian government-owned Export Development Corp.

Like any other financing possibility for the aircraft, it''s something we''ll look at, Beaudoin said.

Siegel said the the Bombardier and Embraer jets were integral to the strategy by US Airways and its regional affiliates to lower costs and meet customer demands.

On the Bombardier jets, Siegel said the 75 seats in the CRJ 700 Series 705 will allow the carriers to offer a nine-seat first-class section. He expects that configuration to be popular with other airlines.

You''re seeing a transition or a migration from the 50- to the 70-seater, Siegel said.

I think you will see, at least in North America, a number of follow-on orders that Bombardier will win for the 70-seater.

Bombardier''s Beaudoin would not discuss sales campaigns or speculation in the financial markets that the Star Alliance global aviation group headed by UAL Corp.''s United Airlines and Deutsche Lufthansa AG is in talks on ordering regional jets from the company.

Beaudoin dismissed speculation that the US Airways order might be the last big one for regional jets for some time.

There is a lot of plans to bring more regional jets onstream, so there is a lot of opportunity still left for growth in regional jets, Beaudoin said.

Beaudoin said Bombardier was in talks with Atlantic Coast Airlines , a feeder for Untied Airlines and Delta Air Lines , on ways to delay deliveries of their Canadair Regional Jet order, if needed.

Bombardier''s class B shares slipped 7 Canadian cents at C$3.79 on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Tuesday.

($1=$1.39 Canadian)

05/13/03 16:52 ET

"We are the only major network carrier that has not yet reduced its mainline fleet on a permanent basis given that lower demand, but we are still watching that situation and haven''t come to any definitive decisions there," Siegel told reporters.

HELLO! EXCUSE ME! What the were the MD80s - Fokkers- DC9 and 737-200!? This is hysterical! We had 426 on Sept 11th and now we have 279 but we have not made permanent changes to the fleet? Good greaf....give me a break.

What to you expect from "Just Call me Dave". This is the same company that files Chap. 11., shrinks the airline over 30%, borrows 1 billion, then spends 4.3 billion on new aircraft all while still losing 3 million per day! Truly insane!

This guy is truly insane! He needs to go back to the car-rental industry, coz he surely does''t understand the airline biz. What happened to Metro Jet? Does he not count that as "downsizing fleet"? He, like his predecessors, need to move out the way and let someone more competent take over...what a laugh! Has his pension changed like the pilots or did he refuse to give that part up and not touch it?

----------------
On 5/13/2003 4:59:30 PM USAirBoyA330 wrote:

"We are the only major network carrier that has not yet reduced its mainline fleet on a permanent basis given that lower demand, but we are still watching that situation and haven't come to any definitive decisions there," Siegel told reporters.

HELLO! EXCUSE ME! What the were the MD80s - Fokkers- DC9 and 737-200!? This is hysterical! We had 426 on Sept 11th and now we have 279 but we have not made permanent changes to the fleet? Good greaf....give me a break.

----------------​
USAirboy,

Have to agree with you 100%...good grief is an understatement.

I don't know what planet Siegel's on but its not USAirways world. Not only did we reduce fleet substantially, but we have aprox. 18,000 employees missing from the ranks here. The airline is sitting as an approx 30% less of an airline, downsized us and shrunk us substantially, and won't even admit it publically. He has either been locked up in a closet and was just let out or Labor Relations is druging him silly, as he can not see the "real world" here as labor is living it. They even have the gall to run around tothe media and publicly state that the "bookings are down" ..."the bookings are down", and that is because ooooooh "we're radically shrinkinnnngggggg"; were shrinkinnngggg"! We will not have the bookings we had at pre-war levels from last year because we sit with less flights and planes. Soooooo duhhhhhhhhhhh, the booking will be less!

Dman it! GIVE US BACK OUR 5%.

I have a sneaky suspecious feeling that the way this mangement operates, they may take our mainline planes OFF the property and replace them with small jets and still maintain 279 jets. If you remember, in December, I don't think the pilots were thinking about the co. perhaps conceding to making Mid-Atlantic a division of mainline, for their own scheming purpose. Just so happens that they terminate the leases in PIT Hub 20 minutes before emergence from BK, and if they don't close down PIT completely as a Hub, and operate INSTEAD as Mid -Atlantic out of PIT, they don't have to buy any homes here in PIT or moving expenses to transfer the remaining employees out. Why? Cause PIT Hub will operate as the division of mainline instead of as a wholly owned. Pretty shrewd of these characters. They then will get away with the millions of dollars for moving expenses of the employees in PIT, as they didn't shut the base down, on top of that, if they take mainline fleet out and replace them with RJs..PRESTO, you still can maintain 279 airplanes most will be RJs.
yea, we sure got 'snowed' in these negotiations.

This is the NEW CORPORATE TRANSACTION folks.

We will all be either be working for Mid Atlantic at their pay rates and benefits or we will have the option to "hit the street". I believe "mainline" will eventually go away, and we will just operate 279 at the very minimum, only 'small jets'. Period.

This Story is one for airline history books.

Pitbull,

As usual you are spot on. This weasel mgt team is simply doing more of what they do best. Continually threaten fleet reductions and lower expectations to keep employees gratefull that they have a job.

I think the pendulum is going to start swinging the other away at some point from mgt holding all the good cards in negotiation. Morale is at an all time low and the operations I witness are pathetic! I believe more of the same will follow as GOOD folks just do not care anymore.

Mgt may just as well take a one time Billion $ write off for the GOODWILL that they had from us and just pi##ed away. Perhaps this is the only method of labor relations this Harvard grad knows. It will fail big time!

Dave said a couple of weeks ago that if things do not pick up that
fleet size will be reduced by september. They are bound and determined
to reduce this company to nothing. I agree with USAirboyA330 with getting
rid of the F100s, MD80s, and DC9s. Dave and his boys are up to something and its obvious they aren''t concerned with saving as many jobs as they can. More aircraft parked = more lay offs!!! Maybe future bookings are low..who knows.....does anyone really check or do we always take daves word...

I can see it now. Dave will shrink the mainline further while growing the Mid Atlantic airline at the same time resulting in the mainline people paying to give their own jobs away. Well at least the "yes" voters will have what they want.

Well, well well.....look at the final puzzle pieces coming together. I don''t like the picture I am starting to see.
Clever...I will give him that.....very very sneaky and underhanded.

pitguy I believe you''re right.US Air''s mgt will lay off
more people,park more planes,and give more flying to
the regionals and mid-atlantic.They''ve got to do something
with those new regional jets that will be turning the
skies blue...

----------------
On 5/13/2003 6:43:44 PM cubfan02us wrote:

pitguy I believe you're right.US Air's mgt will lay off
more people,park more planes,and give more flying to
the regionals and mid-atlantic.They've got to do something
with those new regional jets that will be turning the
skies blue...

----------------​
Yup, you guys got it...all 450 of them..brandy new, great RJs coming our way. All being paid for by furloughs and concessions.

Folks, I think you are misinterpreting Dave''s comment. He merely stated that *as a result* of the Iraqi war, no planes have been removed from the fleet. He surely did not imply -- directly or indirectly -- that US is the same size as it was pre-9/11. Also, Dave is technically not shrinking the US network, especially after the RJ order and additional affiliate RJs joining the network, so US is not shrinking into profitability -- it''s "right sizing each market" into profitability.

Now... on the other hand, his comment was ridiculous and he should have rephrased it. The first few times I read that press release I had the same reaction as everyone on this board. It was an interesting spin job on the fleet size, IMHO.

I guess our contract language means nothing to the company, I believe this language is the same in all the agreements.

Scope and Job Security.
The Scope and Job Security provision in the 2002 Restructuring Agreement is eliminated and replaced as follows:

• The Company will maintain a minimum fleet size of 279 Total Mainline* Aircraft (inclusive of maintenance and spares), subject to a force majeure clause that includes acts of terrorism.

*Mainline excludes MDA RJ aircraft

Looks like the company is trying to push us all to the brink, I am itching to "work by the book". They need to learn what an contract means and adhere to their part of it.