US Airways will assume American in name

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
I never thought this would occur if a merger is approved, but the below reads like a combined US Airways/American will be named American Airlines.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_04_20_2012_p0-450491.xml

And this is surprising because? USAir is a small airline that does not have a good reputation with the traveling public. You have no presence in Asia, limited presence in Europe, limited presence in major airports like JFK or LHR.

Josh

Reactions: 2 people
aa is a more widely recognized "brand" internationally ... and within oneworld.... see ya star

Maybe he wants the pleasure of walking into Centreport on merger day and going throught the halls personally dismissing those who gave him grief when he was an employee. :lol: (I know I would be seriously tempted to do same.)

Sticking with the AA name and brand comes as no surprise to many. Back when he made the run for DL, he said that DL would be the surviving name.

Reactions: 1 person
And this is surprising because? USAir is a small airline that does not have a good reputation with the traveling public. You have no presence in Asia, limited presence in Europe, limited presence in major airports like JFK or LHR.

Josh

Josh, shame on you. I can't believe that an industry expert such as yourself would still be calling us US Air. They did change the name over 10 years ago, but not sure if you got word on that or not. I would like to ask you why you are interested in flying
"Dirty little old bad reputation US Air" to TLV? I guess that the $1000 lower fare has caught your attention. I think that fare may be for the below deck cargo class seating, and be sure to pack a lunch............

Reactions: 3 people
Wings, I've been employed by USAIR for 33 years now......I still call it USAir, and so do the pax, news media,etc.. Only the newbies call it "Airways" .Kinda has the sound of fingernails on a blackboard when I hear that term being used. ;)

I see a pattern, he's working on wife #3. He's already had a few dates and promising gifts and a better future with him.

Just ask the ex's how it worked for them. :unsure:

Yeah, but can we keep the "Cactus" call sign at least? After all, American West really is the carrier that is saving AA's collective butt. Just ask anyone in the PHX crew room. They'll tell ya.

I doubt it. I would expect to use American and AAL as the identifier after the confusion caused last time.