US Airways’ Reservation Migration Complete

Charlie_Tuna

Veteran
Sep 29, 2005
March 4, 2007

US Airways is pleased to announce that early this morning, the Reservation migration was completed and thus far, by those who have been involved in several other airline migrations, is a resounding success. Drum roll please: The new US SHARES is now up and running!

System Cutover is a Go

A team of over 150 dedicated professionals, including members of IT, EDS, SHARES, Sabre, reservations, airport operations and just so many more, have worked on the Reservation Migration for over a year. All the hard work, blood, sweat and tears (to borrow the name of an oldie but goodie rock and roll band) came to fruition over the weekend.

The cutover and PNR migration occurred this morning at 12 a.m. EST. It was estimated to be complete by 4 a.m. EST. The two reservations systems, Sabre and SHARES were turned off and brought back on in less than two hours- which was record time and ahead of schedule.

Here are a few other critical tasks that were completed successfully during the migration:

The Employee Travel Center (ETC), which was down for twelve hours, was successfully brought up and is now operating normally.
The interface between FOS and Flight Operations worked smoothly, and the airline operation ran well. As of this evening, there were five cancellations today, and none of those were related to the migration project. That equates to a 99.5% plus completion factor day.
Web Check-in is getting rave reviews from passengers and employees alike; it is running at 57%, which is better than pre-migration rates.
Our Res Centers are also running well; INT, PHX and RNO were operating shortly after the system returned.
Employees were trained and had few issues adapting to the new system.
WorldTracer (baggage tracking) transitioned over and is functioning properly.
Rainy Days and Mondays Got the Carpenters Down But Not US Airways!

Of course no project of this magnitude would be complete without a few challenges and the main one today was the CUSS (common use) kiosks. Of our cities, the most impacted station has been CLT. We are taking steps to ensure a work around for customers is in place while IT continues to work on the kiosk issue. These include:

Reservations and ACS are manually checking and “synchronizingâ€￾ all passenger records for travel tomorrow in PHL, CLT, and the shuttle cities.
In CLT, we have set up a manual process this afternoon to get customers through security where we can then check them in at the gate. This meant they did not need to check-in at the counter or a kiosk. This will remain in place indefinitely until the kiosk issues are resolved.
Also, we’ll have additional staffing in all of the shuttle and hub airports tomorrow and our anticipated load factor for Monday, March 5 is 69 percent (vs. 78 percent today).
A big thanks to everyone who had a hand in this large milestone. It was a huge undertaking and required work from many people for hours straight. Although the work is not done yet, we are well on our way of creating an even better airline for our customers.

Disclaimer: To the board policeman and stalker. I don't care if this was already posted somewhere else.

we have set up a manual process this afternoon to get customers through security where we can then check them in at the gate. This meant they did not need to check-in at the counter or a kiosk. This will remain in place indefinitely until the kiosk issues are resolved.
How does this work? TSA OK with this?

Web Check-in is getting rave reviews from passengers and employees alike; it is running at 57%, which is better than pre-migration rates

This was almost the only way to check-in (and it did not become available until 7:45 a.m. EST Sunday--I know, I was there checking in and could not access the webpage until then!) That is why the percentages were up and people were happy! They got a boarding pass while those at the airport either could not or did not get one in time to make their flights. Duh!

March 4, 2007

A team of over 150 dedicated professionals, including members of IT, EDS, SHARES, Sabre, reservations, airport operations and just so many more, have worked on the Reservation Migration for over a year. All the hard work, blood, sweat and tears (to borrow the name of an oldie but goodie rock and roll band) came to fruition over the weekend.

No, the thanks goes once again to the front line employee. I would hardly call this change over a success. However, I am sure soon bonuses will be given to our fine management team for a job well done. Hows the fuel burn Doug?

After the trip I had, this is DEFINATELY one of the THE ALL TIME WORST. Couple the cutover with an E-190 trip and you have THE perfect storm. 99% of the e-190 trips are horribly late. I felt like I was sitting in a lions cage up in the little f/c. On top of the computer problems and later yesterday NO computers at all, we had nobody that knew hot to park us, cater us, clean the lav/ trash. Overall it was a wonderfull experience. I can't believe this. No, correction it's TOTALLY BELIEVABLE! ! !