US Announces Re-Opening of PIT Hub; Will Downsize PHL

jimcfs

Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Athens, WV
www.cfld.com
From another board... ;)

US Airways Announces Re-Alignment of Northeastern Operations; Moves Bulk of Operations to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia

Airline Announces Nonstops to 50 New Cities from Pittsburgh, Including London, Frankfurt, Paris, and Warsaw

TEMPE, Ariz., April 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - US Airways announced that it will be shifting the bulk of its Northeastern opeartions to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia. The airline plans to shift hundreds of flights to Pittsburgh. The airline cited severe operational difficulties that it has encountered over the past two years at Philadelphia. Under the new plan, US Airways will fly over 550 flights from Pittsburgh, with over 300 of the flights being operated by mainline aircraft. Concurrently, Philadelphia will lose over 200 flights, but will remain the carrier's primary European gateway.

US Airways Chairman, President and CEO Doug Parker remarked: "We finally got the message from our passengers that they overwhelmingly preferred Pittsburgh over Philadelphia. Our problems with labor and congestion in Philadelphia made this choice even easier for us to make. Passengers overwhelmingly asked us to bring back Pittsburgh as our primary Northeastern connecting hub, and we're responding to their feedback."

While the schedule has yet to be finalized, US Airways has indicated that it will begin transatlantic flights from Pittsburgh to London-Gatwick, Paris, Frankfurt, and Warsaw. While the airline had previously served London, Frankfurt and Paris before, Warsaw will be a new destination for the airline and its' first in Eastern Europe.

Parker stated: "We've been expanding in Europe over the past few years, and the re-opening of the Pittsburgh hub provides an opportunity for us to launch service to Warsaw in conjunction with our Star Alliance Partner LOT Polish Airlines."

US Airways and America West's recent merger creates the fifth largest domestic airline employing 35,000 aviation professionals. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 3,700 flights per day and serve more than 230 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. (LCCG)

US Airways is a member of the Star Alliance, which was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance to offer customers worldwide reach and a smooth travel experience. Star Alliance was voted Best Airline Alliance by Skytrax in 2003 and 2005. The members are Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spanair, TAP Portugal, THAI, United, US Airways and VARIG Brazilian Airlines. South African Airways and SWISS will be integrated during the first half of 2006. Regional member carriers Adria Airways (Slovenia), Blue1 (Finland) and Croatia Airlines enhance the global network. Overall, Star Alliance offers more than 15,000 daily flights to 790 destinations in 138 countries.

From another board... ;)

US Airways Announces Re-Alignment of Northeastern Operations; Moves Bulk of Operations to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia

Airline Announces Nonstops to 50 New Cities from Pittsburgh, Including London, Frankfurt, Paris, and Warsaw

TEMPE, Ariz., April 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - US Airways announced that it will be shifting the bulk of its Northeastern opeartions to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia. The airline plans to shift hundreds of flights to Pittsburgh. The airline cited severe operational difficulties that it has encountered over the past two years at Philadelphia. Under the new plan, US Airways will fly over 550 flights from Pittsburgh, with over 300 of the flights being operated by mainline aircraft. Concurrently, Philadelphia will lose over 200 flights, but will remain the carrier's primary European gateway.

US Airways Chairman, President and CEO Doug Parker remarked: "We finally got the message from our passengers that they overwhelmingly preferred Pittsburgh over Philadelphia. Our problems with labor and congestion in Philadelphia made this choice even easier for us to make. Passengers overwhelmingly asked us to bring back Pittsburgh as our primary Northeastern connecting hub, and we're responding to their feedback."

While the schedule has yet to be finalized, US Airways has indicated that it will begin transatlantic flights from Pittsburgh to London-Gatwick, Paris, Frankfurt, and Warsaw. While the airline had previously served London, Frankfurt and Paris before, Warsaw will be a new destination for the airline and its' first in Eastern Europe.

Parker stated: "We've been expanding in Europe over the past few years, and the re-opening of the Pittsburgh hub provides an opportunity for us to launch service to Warsaw in conjunction with our Star Alliance Partner LOT Polish Airlines."

US Airways and America West's recent merger creates the fifth largest domestic airline employing 35,000 aviation professionals. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 3,700 flights per day and serve more than 230 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. (LCCG)

US Airways is a member of the Star Alliance, which was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance to offer customers worldwide reach and a smooth travel experience. Star Alliance was voted Best Airline Alliance by Skytrax in 2003 and 2005. The members are Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spanair, TAP Portugal, THAI, United, US Airways and VARIG Brazilian Airlines. South African Airways and SWISS will be integrated during the first half of 2006. Regional member carriers Adria Airways (Slovenia), Blue1 (Finland) and Croatia Airlines enhance the global network. Overall, Star Alliance offers more than 15,000 daily flights to 790 destinations in 138 countries.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: APRIL FOOLS!!! When Pigs fly !!!

pigs have flown on USAIRWAYS and in first class! of course that was a theraputic pig too! I remember when that happened. a flt from PHL to SEA!!!

Under the new plan, US Airways will fly over 550 flights from Pittsburgh, with over 300 of the flights being operated by mainline aircraft. Concurrently, Philadelphia will lose over 200 flights, but will remain the carrier's primary European gateway.

Gosh, I know its a joke..but this is the truth. PHL will be the death of this airline if it is not utilized properly. As of now, it is not. Good post..you reeled me in! Best, Greeter.

i admit, i rushed to cnn.com business to check for press releases.
underneath the humor, though, i cannot understand why warsaw would not be a likely destination. there is a huge polish population in the northeast; lot is the sole carrier offering nonstop flights, and only to jfk. star alliance notwithstanding, do you think such a route could be supported and profitable from a u gateway?

Not a very nice thing to do to those people who are truy hanging onto to the hope that PIT will once again be the mecca of the East operation. I didnt get past the first paragraph when I started thinking, isnt today April Fools Day.

Perhaps if the IAM Members would use their talents in the actual performance of their tasks at US Airways the airline would not have gone into BK twice and maybe the PIT hub would still be a hub.

I agree but..........
behindwall.gif

:)

WAW could maybe work out of PHL especially with LOT in Star Alliance. Doesn't upstate New York have a huge Polish population, like Buffalo? It's too bad PHL/WAW is out of 757 range. I'm surprised United doesn't fly there from ORD where there is a huge Polish population.