US applying for PHL-China

I'm no reporter, and I know Tom Belden has been writing business travel news for well over 15 years at the Philly Inquirer. But...wouldn't it have been prudent to at least get a comment from Tempe about the aircraft issue? He makes it very clear in the last paragraph that US doesn't have one to fly the route, so a follow up (even if it was a "no comment") would have been helpful to the story.

But that's just me - the john q. public reader of the story.

Among the arguments US Airways Group Inc. can make is that Philadelphia is the nation's largest metropolitan area that does not have direct service to China.

Didn't realize that. That gives US slightly more of a chance than I had thought. Best bet is to argue that these slots need to go to a new entrant carrier, and then argue that PHL > ATL.

Somebody better get on the ball. DL is going all out for the China route. So far they have aligned the Southern politicians, state agencies, chambers of commerce, etc in their support. Now they have a website.

http://www.nextgatewaytochina.com/

Whats US up to?

In my opinion the route will go to DL.

Somebody better get on the ball. DL is going all out for the China route. So far they have aligned the Southern politicians, state agencies, chambers of commerce, etc in their support. Now they have a website.

http://www.nextgatewaytochina.com/

Whats US up to?

In my opinion the route will go to DL.
US will not get it due to the fact they don't have the equipment yet. They say they will get it, but that isn't going to happen overnight. US should expand internationally, but they don't have the dogs to do it. Leasing planes that can make the route will not be available for a few months and what leasing company will hold it on "IF's". IF doesn't make them any money. IF my Aunt had a set of nuts, she'd be my Uncle too! 2009-2010 looks more promising. Till then, "Hold out your both hands and Wish in one hand and Poo in the other hand, see which one gets filled first." quoted from the film Grumpy Old Men! :down:

Not only will US not get it, they don't deserve to get it. There is no point in expanding into new markets and routes when you are utterly incapable of properly managing what you currently have.

Since international (and domestic for that matter) operations are nowhere near reliable at this time, they should give up on this and concentrate on making what they already have work properly.