US better get those RJ's fast...........

DLFlyer31

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
DL''s continued attack on US continues with last Friday''s launch of 18 new flights out of DCA. Three weeks ago, DL announced new service to ERI...a longtime stronghold of US. Today, DL announced new service to BGM (Binghamton, NY)...another city long dominated by US.
Of course, part of this expansion is DL''s stated desire to improve the performance of the CVG hub by adding more spokes (MLI was also announced recently and its not served by US). However, it is clear that DL is attacking US with every RJ it can and US had better get RJ''s soon in order to counter.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/4/2002 12:35:17 PM DLFlyer31 wrote:

DL's continued attack on US continues with last Friday's launch of 18 new flights out of DCA. Three weeks ago, DL announced new service to ERI...a longtime stronghold of US. Today, DL announced new service to BGM (Binghamton, NY)...another city long dominated by US.

Of course, part of this expansion is DL's stated desire to improve the performance of the CVG hub by adding more spokes (MLI was also announced recently and its not served by US). However, it is clear that DL is attacking US with every RJ it can and US had better get RJ's soon in order to counter.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I hate to say it, boys and girls, but I think the end is near. We are seeing an insane dumping of employees, as the company tries to stay afloat. We are seeing the massive shrinking of our route network. It seems like Dave's (well, really Gangwal's) RJ plan is going to hell. The creditors are getting cranky and aren't too willing to talk. Oil prices are throught the roof and we're about to go to war. I think US Airways is about finished. The vultures are cirling waiting to nibble at the carcass.
:)

Bring on J. Ornstein - he has been waiting for this moment for some time.

I never did see how the RJs were going to save the company. Other airlines have them and they are loosing money. U is about ten years behind. It is too late for the RJ to save us.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/4/2002 7:08:22 PM 1ab wrote:

U provides a better product, U lost customers to delta because they did not have RJ's..I am sure if U provides RJ's they have a good chance of winning their passengers back especially in intra Florida where U seem to have given up the flight..

so its never too late
----------------
[/blockquote]
1AB, If you think the current trends are going to allow us to survive until 2003 or 2004 to obtain RJ's?..muchless satisfy the criteria of the ATSB Loans and etc? You are sadly mistaken.

WE are behind now...by still trying to work past problems that were ingrained 5 to 7 years ago. We are being squeezed to death!!

U is a between the cracks airline.

(1) We do not have RJ's in sufficient numbers to provide the feeds to our hubs in an economical or customer friendly manner.

(2) We can't get RJ's until we are out of BK..can we emerge in time?

(3) Customer loyalty shifts with absence..or our failure to provide what they want..and especially at a price they are willing to pay.

(4) To be able to create an operating structure that will not only meet the customers needs , but allow a 7% profit margin to comply with ATSB guidlines..what will that do to our needs in the long term?

(5) If you think U is going to continue..and continue paying it's employee's what they currently make..and be competative with both Low Cost and Global Reach Mega Carriers?...I think the dream is going to turn into a bigger nightmare than you care to admit too.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/4/2002 6:28:20 PM Mod Status wrote:

I never did see how the RJs were going to save the company. Other airlines have them and they are loosing money. U is about ten years behind. It is too late for the RJ to save us.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Mod Status,
Sadly to say, I have to agree with you on this one.

U is setting records in the DOT standings for on time performance..and we are setting internal records for completion factors regarding International Flights...but yet and still we are failing.

Load factors slightly less than 67% ..are simply not cutting it...and who's to say what prices those 67% are paying to be flying with us?

Would RJ's have an immediate impact? Maybe?..but most likely not!

U's entire problem is the need for an immediate impact..We aren't doing it in regard to selling seats..so we are reduced to lessoning our frequency of flights..or mainline service period.

This inturn becomes the precieved need to reduce the human element for an attempt to show an immediate reduction in our operating costs.

RJ's are so far from the radar screen now..it's almost pointless to keep harping on them. U will not make it out of BK in time to even place an order...If we don't stop vacating our markets...and handing them to other carriers on a silver platter.

Not providing service to this place or that..will only continue to alienate us , with those we use to call our customers...B6 and WN and FL are benefiting from what we are not offering in many areas. DL and AA are doing thier level best to beat us in ourBread and Butter locations of LGA and DCA too!

I'm beginning to wonder if someone hasn't found a self-serving deal by allowing us to collapse even further?...and eventually collapse completely?

I don't like to attack folks here, but you know many of our flyers read these websites........I hope you are with another airline making these nasty post.....someone told me many years ago, and is it ever true......If you have nothing good to say than say nothing at all......maybe we should all start trying this, including myself.....

U provides a better product, U lost customers to delta because they did not have RJ's..I am sure if U provides RJ's they have a good chance of winning their passengers back especially in intra Florida where U seem to have given up the flight..

so its never too late

Well,looks like ERI gets RJ's:
US Airways Express to Bring Regional Jet Service to Erie
Monday November 4, 4:38 pm ET
ARLINGTON, Va., Nov. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways Express will bring its popular 50-seat regional jet service to Erie, Pa., and will operate one daily nonstop roundtrip flight to US Airways' Pittsburgh hub beginning Jan. 5, 2003.

The new service, which will be operated by US Airways Express carrier Mesa Airlines using Embraer-145 aircraft, will depart Erie at 11:30 a.m., and will arrive in Pittsburgh at 12:20 p.m. From Pittsburgh, the flight will depart at 9:25 a.m., and will arrive in Erie at 10:15 a.m.
This popular aircraft will bring business and leisure travelers alike added levels of comfort and will represent the first of other regional jet flights that will be added in time between Erie and Pittsburgh, said B. Ben Baldanza, US Airways senior vice president of marketing and planning. Senator Arlen Specter and Pennsylvania Congressman Phil English have worked tirelessly to have regional jet service restored to Erie, and together we are pleased to be able to complement our schedule with these modern aircraft.
I consider this a great breakthrough and follow through on the commitments that US Airways has made to me and the Erie community. This is a great boost for the Erie airport and all of the customers in our region, said English.
US Airways Express currently operates nine nonstop roundtrip flights each business day between Erie and Pittsburgh with 37-seat and 50-seat Dash-8 turboprop aircraft, flown by both Allegheny and Piedmont Airlines. In January, with the addition of the regional jet flights, US Airways Express will continue to operate nine daily nonstop flights on this route.

Ok,now how about all those western states U doesn't serve ?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/4/2002 6:28:20 PM Mod Status wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

As I recall, the only airline to make money last quarter has no RJs...

But they do have a person answer the phone when you call and try to buy a ticket.

Sure seems like overkill to have a senior VP make a special announcement that ONE out of NINE flights a day will be flown on a claustrophobic ERJ that will save maybe fifteen minutes enroute at the most on such a short segment. I'm sure the residents of ERI are stomping all over each other like grandmas at Toys-R-Us competing for the year's overhyped, must-have Christmas toy.

RJ's are so far from the radar screen now..it's almost pointless to keep harping on them. U will not make it out of BK in time to even place an order...If we don't stop vacating our markets...and handing them to other carriers on a silver platter.Quoted from AOG.N IT..

I can't agree more with this statement...I won't go into my station location, but we are losing most..but not all of our mainline service in Jan. We have already been told by airport mgmt. if the rest goes a LOW COST CARRIER is waiting in the wings to come in and fill the void. I really hope our mgmt. knows that this is going to happen if they pull the plug on another station. The fact that they won't come in unless we leave should speak for itself.......
8.gif']

Sadly, the truth of the matter is that U's capacity isn't needed in this presently depressed market (nor in the foreseeable future). The other carriers could easily slip in and pickup the slack and do it more economically through economy of scale.

Even with a life-support cash infusion, U's prospects of even breaking even is virtually nil. U's carcass is pretty thin, so it'll be slim pickings for the vultures.

It's hard to believe that the airline business went from great guns 24 months ago, to the point of seeing which companies can stay breathing the longest.

Thats a load of pooh...

First off, If US Airways does cease to exist, so will much of the service it provides today. Many small cities that rely on US Airways may never see another carrier fill in the void, and our large hub cities such as PIT, CLT, and PHL will probably not return to the same number/frequency of direct flights they enjoy today.

Economy of scale is code for less competition.

Survival of the fittest in a free market economy sounds great, but it would do the consumer no good to have fewer options to travel upon in the future. The realty is that few other so called deregulated industries chafe under as much govermental oversight and direction as the airline industry. If the goverment feels it has the right to regulate to such a large extent in the public's interest, then it has the obligation to promote and foster the same industry for the same reason.

US Airways is where it is due to poor management in the past, not because it is unviable or uncompetitive. It is not in bankruptcy because of poor service or an unsafe product. We are in a unique position to restructure ourselves into one of the best airlines flying, and that is why our competitors would like to see our demise.

Dont count us out yet. Remeber it is not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog that matters.

Latest posts