US Changing mind about LGA terminal swap with Delta?

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I was asking LGA employees when the big move would be for the Delta/US terminal swap. A few employees stated they don't know the whole story, but have heard that US is trying to back out of the deal. Is it just the terminal part or does it mean slots too? Anybody know anything?

Later,
Eye

I suspect this is just a rumor. Any word on what the DOJ/DOT stance is on the transaction?

Maybe it finally dawned on someone that a passenger arriving at the Marine Air Terminal with an onward mainline connection may find themselves SOL while waiting for the Port Authority shuttle bus that runs between the MAT and the central terminal?

The LGA employees probably want the company to back out, since they're the group most adversely affected by the transaction. But the various agencies that have to approve this deal take forever to push the paper around the government.

That's all it is, IMHO.

Maybe it finally dawned on someone that a passenger arriving at the Marine Air Terminal with an onward mainline connection may find themselves SOL while waiting for the Port Authority shuttle bus that runs between the MAT and the central terminal?
LGA will basically be just a spoke with very few online connections, if this transaction is approved. Remember, all the RJ and turboprop flying is going to be eliminated.

do you think the draw down of LGA has anything to do with a possible merger of US and jetblue? Pardon my ignorance but maybe something to do with getting rid of the small jets? would welcome any input.

do you think the draw down of LGA has anything to do with a possible merger of US and jetblue? Pardon my ignorance but maybe something to do with getting rid of the small jets? would welcome any input.

This restructuring IMHO points away from a merge with UAL and more toward a merger with AA. Everywhere US is pulling out of, AA is strong. Where US is increasing/maintaining, AA is not as strong. I don't think US would build up DCA just to have the DOJ order reductions subsequent to a UAL merger, due to antitrust concerns.
JB is interesting, especially with LH financing. It would keep US in the Star and increase JB's presence overnight, although it doesn't do much for US geographically. In order to survive against DL/NW and LUV, US must get bigger. The shrink to profitability theory is like time traveling by getting really close to a black hole without getting sucked in - not possible.
The only "?" is PHX...it is not a very useful hub for AA or UAL, but may be interesting to JB.
Whatever is decided, a name change would be welcome.
Cheers

This restructuring IMHO points away from a merge with UAL and more toward a merger with AA. Everywhere US is pulling out of, AA is strong. Where US is increasing/maintaining, AA is not as strong. I don't think US would build up DCA just to have the DOJ order reductions subsequent to a UAL merger, due to antitrust concerns.
JB is interesting, especially with LH financing. It would keep US in the Star and increase JB's presence overnight, although it doesn't do much for US geographically. In order to survive against DL/NW and LUV, US must get bigger. The shrink to profitability theory is like time traveling by getting really close to a black hole without getting sucked in - not possible.
The only "?" is PHX...it is not a very useful hub for AA or UAL, but may be interesting to JB.
Whatever is decided, a name change would be welcome.
Cheers

Spot on....assuming for a moment there even is a merger in the works. I have my doubts because financing is still too tight and nobodys' books can support a merger in this economy. Although, I do think we are in a pretty good position now to be one of the first to show a profit; we had to burn some furniture to do it.

I don't think that LGA will be much of a connection city. The Marine Terminal will be for Shuttle and anyone from BOS or DCA would not have to go to LGA to connect. Maybe occasionally.

I was asking LGA employees when the big move would be for the Delta/US terminal swap. A few employees stated they don't know the whole story, but have heard that US is trying to back out of the deal. Is it just the terminal part or does it mean slots too? Anybody know anything?

Later,
Eye

Backing out of the deal would involve admitting a mistake had been made.

First, how often does that really happen for our shuttle customers? It would be easy enough for someone to figure out with access to the connection statistics for LGA. I imagine that it is a relatively rare occurrence.

Second, the official "legal connection" times would be adjusted for the rare times when someone is crazy enough to connected on/off a shuttle flight to/from mainline at LGA. So, if the ticket is written properly, there will be time to take that blasted bus to the other terminal.

(Delta, BTW, seemed to survive that scenario.)

Bumping this back to the top ...

Has anyone heard an update on when the DOJ/DOT will decide whether to approve or reject this transaction?

Some food for thought...

The UA/US merger was shot down primarily because of the percentage of slots the merged company would have @ DCA (as well as the concentration at Washington). This deal would give US more DCA slots that UA and US combined would have had if they had merged.

Jim

At the Thursday, January 14 CLT Crew News session Doug Parker told pilots he spent Wednesday, January 13 in DCA with DL CEO Richard Anderson and DL ALPA MEC Chairman Lee Moak disucssing the Slot Transaction with the DOT to get the deal approved.

In addition, US Airways Vice President of Flight Operations Lyle Hogg told pilots at the same meeting US Airways will be obtaining new gates in DCA. During this conversation Doug indicated they would be the AA DCA gates; however, Lyle indicated that has not been finalized.

Separately, US Airways is now the only airline using DCA Gate 26, which is the fourth gate US Airways has in the center pier.

As part of the network restructuring announced with the Slot Transaction all E-190 crews are now based in PHL, the E-190 is flying the BOS-LGA Shuttle, all A319 Shuttle flying for Crews will be based in DCA starting in February, and final preparations including Flight Department Staff layoffs are scheduled to be completed January 29 and 30 in LAS and LGA; along with the base closures.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

In addition, US Airways Vice President of Flight Operations Lyle Hogg told pilots at the same meeting US Airways will be obtaining new gates in DCA. During this conversation Doug indicated they would be the AA DCA gates; however, Lyle indicated that has not been finalized.

Only if MWAA or US pays for a new Admirals Club.

This restructuring IMHO points away from a merge with UAL and more toward a merger with AA. Everywhere US is pulling out of, AA is strong. Where US is increasing/maintaining, AA is not as strong.

Where US is increasing, AA does not want. Note that AA walked away from an RDU hub. AA obviously does not think a lot of the mid-southeast versus south Florida. AA put it's money on New York some time ago.

AA is not going to merge with the Titanic for DCA.