US CP 1st Time on HP Metal

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
As you know by previous thread, Mrs Art and I went to PHX for a long weekend, and returned last night. Early this morning I head back out to SEA via LAS on US West, aka HP. I thought I might share a couple of observations, and pose a question or two to those in the know.

First, a high five and thanks for a job well done to the crews I flew with this morning--and best regards to my new friends Stacey and Suzan!

The first odd thing was in reservations--the upgrade process is not as yet automated, and for each direction flight I had to call to manually get the upgrades. Not major but US Preferreds should be aware.

I checked in on line after arriving home from LGA last night, and notice my DM number in the reservation when I pull it up, but it does NOT print on the boarding pass in the FFD section (where I assume the Flightfund number goes).

I had to check twice at JFK to make sure my DM number was in fact in the record. I hope this glitch is reported and remedied in the near future.

Which brings me to a question--is it normal for US FF's to not have their DM numbers appear on boarding passes, and if not, is IT aware of the glitch?

Next question, which I guess is directed to US West FA's-I only got to see the manifest momentarily this morning, and noted that there were just the passenger names for first class. I was one of only 3 on the second leg LAS-SEA, and didn't notice any mention of status, as is done on US Manifests (list US1,2,3, etc.). Does HP do this at all?

I will eventually get a trip report on my blog, which is now apparently back up, but I did notice an odd thing about comparing US F with HP F--US food is better but HP serves with glass/china/silver...an interesting tradeoff.

Otherwise a generally pleasant trip with excellent service. I can see that the US West (HP) FA's will be able to hold their own with their East counterparts--I only hope the labor issues can be worked out to be as fair as possible to as many as possible.

My best to you all....

Upgrades- It is automatic for the HP people on HP, not the US people. This is one of those integration things. The HP people also have to ctc US reservations about getting the upgrade when flying US. Not sure as to when it will be automatic on both sides of the aisle.

It goes in the FFD section on the top right of the boarding pass. For some reason the status and FF number for US people is not printing on the HP boarding pass. Not sure when this will be corrected either, just have your card out to board. I've just been writing the status on the BP with US in front of it. Not sure how other cities/agents are doing it.
I will send a note to IT asking them about it when I work on Thurs and let you know what they say when they respond.

HP manifests do have status listed on them, just not in the same manner. I dont remember exactly what they say, but they dont use the number thing. I know this because one of the FAs asked about the G Gold status on her manifest and if that was a US/East thing. I advised her that I hadnt noticed it then another FA chimed in that it was a Platinum member. Somehow the computer wasnt programmed showing Platinum and GGold was the current symbol being used for this status. The HP Plat were to be showing as HP1 in the US system soon (saw this in DRS, but dont remember the start date). I'll have to play around with the list on Thurs and try to get an answer for you if no one posts here first.

Tad,

Thanks as always, buddy-good to hear from you.

So I guess the next question would be, if my DM number doesn't print on the boarding pass, does my status show on the manifest? I couldn't quite figure that out this morning.

Like I said, otherwise, a very nice experience.

Thanks for taking the trouble to look into the questions!!

Upgrades- It is automatic for the HP people on HP, not the US people. This is one of those integration things. The HP people also have to ctc US reservations about getting the upgrade when flying US. Not sure as to when it will be automatic on both sides of the aisle.

It goes in the FFD section on the top right of the boarding pass. For some reason the status and FF number for US people is not printing on the HP boarding pass. Not sure when this will be corrected either, just have your card out to board. I've just been writing the status on the BP with US in front of it. Not sure how other cities/agents are doing it.
I will send a note to IT asking them about it when I work on Thurs and let you know what they say when they respond.
HP manifests do have status listed on them, just not in the same manner. I dont remember exactly what they say, but they dont use the number thing. I know this because one of the FAs asked about the G Gold status on her manifest and if that was a US/East thing. I advised her that I hadnt noticed it then another FA chimed in that it was a Platinum member. Somehow the computer wasnt programmed showing Platinum and GGold was the current symbol being used for this status. The HP Plat were to be showing as HP1 in the US system soon (saw this in DRS, but dont remember the start date). I'll have to play around with the list on Thurs and try to get an answer for you if no one posts here first.

There are currently a few glitches on the manifest with listing status. Its being tracked and they are working on the correcting the problem with the manifest. The G Gold, is showing up on the manifest, but it is not correct. Most of this is integration stuff, that will take several months to work out. In the meantime, any irregularties that you come across should be sent via e-mail to HP. Glad to hear you had a good experience on US West. China in 1st class will probably stay and be phased into US East eventually. Food at US West is average food, to keep cost in check. The simplicity of the dishes also allow the catering budget to prevent stacking up associated costs with the food such as plating, tray setups, etc,. FA's do most of the setups depending on the market to save on the budget.

There are currently a few glitches on the manifest with listing status. Its being tracked and they are working on the correcting the problem with the manifest. The G Gold, is showing up on the manifest, but it is not correct. Most of this is integration stuff, that will take several months to work out. In the meantime, any irregularties that you come across should be sent via e-mail to HP. Glad to hear you had a good experience on US West. China in 1st class will probably stay and be phased into US East eventually. Food at US West is average food, to keep cost in check. The simplicity of the dishes also allow the catering budget to prevent stacking up associated costs with the food such as plating, tray setups, etc,. FA's do most of the setups depending on the market to help keep costs in check.

Hope this helps.

West FA's have a FC sheet which gives the AWA staus of the elite flyer, Platnium, Gold or Silver. I imagine that they are working out the issues so DM passngers status will show up also.

I am glad you made new friends.

I wish I knew which cities the boarding passes ARE working in, as I have seen exactly two boarding passes with the America West name on them and the DM member's status computer generated on them. (We were all excited thinking it was actully WORKING now!)They were both travelling together, so I assume they came from the same city.

You status does not print on our printed reports we give to the FA's. Trust that the gate agents are being vocal about this, and the lack of the numbers and status on boarding passes, as we too would like to know this and thank you for all your flying with us.

So Art you were out West again and didn't stop by to see us. Hummmm. Hope you really did enjoy your trip and gave the fa's candy. There is a real problem in upgrading U's CP's and other elite on the Hp side. You know whenever I get one as an agent I always call U and check on the status and then do everything I can to get ya'll upgraded. It would be nice if they would intergrate the FFD members first. That way we can keep you happy. I did notice today I can enter a U FFD number in the record and it comes up on the reservation. Not sure about the boarding pass or the manifest.
Come see us again sometime soon.

I don't think any passenger should be looking at the airline manifest as there is PRIVATE info and security info on these. Most f/a's are guilty of leaving it visible when they shouldn't. This is not an "attack" on anyone, just how I feel and I believe the airline should protect this info as well.

My memory of manifests is just names and seat locs (and the status when it works), so no real security info, but it is privacy info. No company should be letting the public see our list of pax, its not our business to let joeschmoe see that sallysomebody is seated in 2B.

The auto upgrades for DM members is not working, and we are fully well aware of it in rez. We've been told it wont happen till phase 2, which is march06. We also are aware of the boarding card issue, even tho it is not something we deal with, this also is expected for phase 2, so I'm told.

The upgrade process right now, since we are still 2 airlines (technically speaking) is really skewed.
  • If you are on an HP flight number, operated by US, then you upgrade via HP.
  • If you are on an HP flight number, operated by HP, then you upgade via HP.
  • If you are on a US flight number, operated by HP, then you upgade via US.
  • If you are on a US flight number, operated by US, then you upgrade via US.
so, short story is, who's ever FLIGHT NUMBER is printed on your intinerary, no matter who operates the aircraft, that is the company you call about an upgrade.

this has been incrediblly hard to get out to the workforce, espcially those US international call centers, so ALOT of misinformation is out there.

I don't think any passenger should be looking at the airline manifest as there is PRIVATE info and security info on these. Most f/a's are guilty of leaving it visible when they shouldn't. This is not an "attack" on anyone, just how I feel and I believe the airline should protect this info as well.
That's just sloppy work. They know it's confidential and it's in procedure to keep it away from public view. I think that some don't understand the importance of the list as some will throw it away immediatly after departure. Others will leave old lists lying around. It's HP procedure to tear it up and throw it away after arrival.

There used to be a problem with CO agents leaving it on the top of the gate podium waiting for the arrival of the outbound crew. But it was in clear view of anyone that walked up to podium.

What kind of "Security" information? Like did I take off my Shoes when passing through the Gestapo Checkpoint when I arrived? :D

Bob:

The name lists can carry security info in them, and no I won't tell you what info can be there. The FA's have previously been told to keep the list in an out-of-sight area.

i had a flight attendant on my flight today ask me about G GO on the final paperwork. she said that she had asked other agents in PHX and they didn't know so she was trying again with me. :) asked if i knew what that was and i told her i didn't but let's figure it out. silly enough, i just asked the pax seated in first class if they were platinum or chairman's and each of the G GO (GGold) pax were newly "appointed" chairman's status. so, i'm guessing that's it. we have, in PHX, also found that the DM Preferred status is not always on the boarding passes, but sometimes. if it's not, and the DM Preferred customer lets me know, then i, like tadjr, write it on the boarding pass.

re: comment to art about being on the west and giving out candy...could you please make a stop in PHX and find me!?!? :)

There is information on the manifest that should NOT be viewed by passengers. While not at liberty to say what that information is, it does tell us alot about certain passengers on the a/c and where they are. Things of that nature. Also info can be on there from the agent to us f/a's. I usually fold the manifest as most do so only the first class seating chart is visible or I tear it off and put it in a compartment. I find them all over the place in the fwd galley a lot.

While we are on the subject of HP manifests, do any of the FAs on here actually use the long prelim report for anything? I understand you might use the FC section and if there were a way to condense it, the assist section, but do you really need to know who checked in at home, who had their agency advised of a debit memo and all the other "stuff" printed on there? It seems like a waste of paper to me, especially on a full 757. We used to print out the name lists for Metrojets (not sure why now), but how often are there dupe seats that can be worked out from the manifest anyway? Anyone who checked in and changed seats after its pulled isnt going to show right and its useless then. Just curious if anyone uses it and what for. Maybe a suggestion is in the works! ;)