Us East Furloughs?

Twicebaked

Veteran
May 22, 2003
Flight attendants to return to the skies
By: Karen Ferrick-Roman, Times Staff
11/03/2005
Email to a friend Printer-friendly

Less than one-third of the 925 US Airways flight attendants who volunteered to be laid off after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, virtually shut down the airline industry will be returning to the skies next month.

On Dec. 2, 300-plus flight attendants will come back to work, said Amy Kudwa, US Airways spokeswoman. The others have agreed to remain on furlough or have decided to leave the airline.

Those returning will be in training until about Dec. 17, then will revert to their old seniority levels. They will be back in time for the holiday travel season, said Teddy Xidas, president of the local chapter of the Association of Flight Attendants at US Airways.

Kudwa said she was uncertain whether their return will result in other flight attendants being laid off. Xidas predicted the airline will keep all flight attendants on board through the holiday season, to avoid a repeat of last year's staffing debacle over Christmas. She anticipates layoffs to start in January among the US Airways East operations, the former US Airways system.

Merger plans call for the old US Airways to reduce its fleet by more than 30 jets. "The job losses are going to come from the East side because the company still has to get rid of aircraft," Xidas said. The most junior flight attendants at US Airways East have seven years of experience.
Even though US Airways and America West Airlines merged on Sept. 27 under the US Airways name, operations remain separate and are expected to do so for two years. The former America West, operating from Phoenix as US Airways West, continues to replace flight attendants who are leaving.

US Airways flight attendants who continue their furloughs will do so indefinitely, Xidas said, though Kudwa did not state a time frame.

These workers would be called back only after 1,700 flight attendants who were involuntarily forced out of their jobs after Sept. 11 return to work, Xidas said.

Those on furlough receive only flying privileges, Xidas said.

"They don't have anything else," she said. "It's all been exhausted: COBRA (health coverage), their pension."

The furlough buys time for some flight attendants. Some have wanted the hiatus to raise children. Others are waiting for the airline to become more stable, meanwhile escaping the anxiety of displacement or layoff, Xidas said.

Voluntary furloughs were negotiated to allow US Airways to better balance its senior and junior work force, Xidas said. Starting in December 2001, flight attendants could volunteer for six-month furloughs, removing higher-paid senior workers from the payroll and saving the jobs of more junior employees.

The last voluntary furlough was offered in December 2004.

This year, the airline offered a voluntary furlough with limited recall, siphoning away 1,200 more flight attendants, including Xidas, who will leave on Dec. 2, as the other flight attendants return.

About 475 flight attendants are scheduled to retire from the airline before the end of the year, though nearly 400 have rescinded their retirement since the merger, Xidas said. US Airways' flight attendant staff has dropped from 11,500 active in 2001 to 4,300 now.

Karen Ferrick-Roman can be reached online at [email protected].

©Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2005

LOL...400 have recinded their retirements????? I think not. Its more like 77.

How come the paper gets this shhittt wrong? Last VF was Dec. 2003, and the last VFLR was offered in Sept. 2005, next release is Dec. 2.

I guess all the info on VF programs get confusing to reporters.

There was a CBS message that went out today stating that January there will be NO transfer offerings, and that the company willl be offering (monthly) VPLOAs in 4 bases.

I suspect the VFLR will be offered early next year again at a min. of 362.

LOL...400 have recinded their retirements????? I think not. Its more like 77.

How come the paper gets this shhittt wrong? Last VF was Dec. 2003, and the last VFLR was offered in Sept. 2005, next release is Dec. 2.

I guess all the info on VF programs get confusing to reporters.

There was a CBS message that went out today stating that January there will be NO transfer offerings, and that the company willl be offering (monthly) VPLOAs in 4 bases.

I suspect the VFLR will be offered early next year again at a min. of 362.

Well, let's hope.
I think the company should just offer a VF for an indefinate time period and be done with it. If more take it than is needed, hire back the Invols. The VFs cannot come back until needed. I think many would jump on that. Just a thought.

Twice,

I know your anxious to move up the ladder, and I love ya, but personally, I would not be in favor of offering indefinite furloughs. Many of the f/as who took this want to come back and made the decision on emotion.

I also suspect that the next 2006 VFLR will be undersubscribed. I say this because the Sept VFLR II offering was undersubscribed by about 70. I think that the 4,300 active f/as we have left on the East side are the ones who want to be here and are not looking for a way out.

Total out on the VF is approx 1,300 on extended, and total on the VFLR by end of Dec. will be 770. There are still retirments that occur every month to take care of 2006 attrits.

So, are you changing your thoughts from what you said in the BCT? Do you think reductions will only come in the form of VFLR, retire, and normal attrition? At this point, I really don't care about being furloughed for a year or two.....I am burned out. I know I am not alone.

What was said in the BCT that leads you to believe that fa/s continue to want out? The BCT was discussing the "extended" furloughs and those f/as who wanted to extend.

The empirical evidence was the VFLRII in Sept. that was undersubscribed. I know that the VFLR has reached its limit on desirability and incentive.

You may have a couple more hundred that want to leave on a furlough but not enough to create a "recall of invols" at this time.

I totally agree with Pitbull (as always).....most of the people that were interested in leaving have already taken advantage of the VFLRs (1&2) with the cash settlement. I have encountered many who keep hoping and waiting for the Company to UP The Ante, but they are deluding themselves. And as far as people being "burned out"......why in the hell would You continue on this course and personally contribute to your own unhappiness and deal with everything that has been thrown our way if you don't want to be HERE? This industry has changed dramatically over the last couple of years and it certainly isn't going to get Better to accomodate people looking for lots of perks and high pay.

I totally agree with Pitbull (as always).....most of the people that were interested in leaving have already taken advantage of the VFLRs (1&2) with the cash settlement. I have encountered many who keep hoping and waiting for the Company to UP The Ante, but they are deluding themselves. And as far as people being "burned out"......why in the hell would You continue on this course and personally contribute to your own unhappiness and deal with everything that has been thrown our way if you don't want to be HERE? This industry has changed dramatically over the last couple of years and it certainly isn't going to get Better to accomodate people looking for lots of perks and high pay.

Everybody gets burned out from time to time. I am not unhappy as you implied. I just need a break until things settle down. I never said I didn't want to be here either....just need a breather. I also disagree that people don't want out. Many people are waiting for more money (won't happen) to get out.

Everybody gets burned out from time to time. I am not unhappy as you implied. I just need a break until things settle down. I never said I didn't want to be here either....just need a breather. I also disagree that people don't want out. Many people are waiting for more money (won't happen) to get out.

If you wanted money to "get out", you should have done with the legacy US while they were in bankruptcy. When HP offered an early out, they paid very very little cash to go along with it.

If you wanted money to "get out", you should have done with the legacy US while they were in bankruptcy. When HP offered an early out, they paid very very little cash to go along with it.

Again UWCactus....read my comments! I said I need a BREAK. I never said I wanted more money, but many many many do regardless of what Pitbull says. I am out there on the line everyday and I here it every single day. Give 20K instead of 10K and they will be running so fast you won't be able to see their faces. Yes, this merger is great for all involved, but it is not the savior for those who have wanted out for years.

Maybe Teddy gave her wrong info?

:D

Yea right Einstien, you must be having a brain storming day. :p

Again UWCactus....read my comments! I said I need a BREAK. I never said I wanted more money, but many many many do regardless of what Pitbull says. I am out there on the line everyday and I here it every single day. Give 20K instead of 10K and they will be running so fast you won't be able to see their faces. Yes, this merger is great for all involved, but it is not the savior for those who have wanted out for years.

Twice,

C'mon on already...if you give the f/as $50,000 to leave, we won't have any f/as on the property left. In fact, if you gave that to the INOVLs to, you probably would have less of them as well.

Geez.

Twice,

C'mon on already...if you give the f/as $50,000 to leave, we won't have any f/as on the property left. In fact, if you gave that to the INOVLs to, you probably would have less of them as well.

Geez.

Yes, what's your point??? :)

I am not bashing you Pitty or anyone else actually. I just disagree that those that wanted to leave have already left. Sweeten the pot a bit (with even medical) and people will leave in droves. People are not done "wanting out". I am not one of them that wants out... YET. :)

Twice,

Surely, you jest...

You don't think I am a bank or something, or that I make the decisions for the company or the union on what to offer.

There are no negotiations going on except transitional provision integration.

Most repaorters cower in fear that a PR Department bully will call the Managing Editor and threaten to pull advertising if the paper doesn't "Toe the line" and "Stick to the facts" (Can anyone say USA Today & Chris Elliot?)

There you go again with your misleading accusations and commenting on matters that are outside your area of knowledge. You have no idea about the events concerning Chris Elliot. I wouldn't even call him a journalist.

Xidas predicted the airline will keep all flight attendants on board through the holiday season, to avoid a repeat of last year's staffing debacle

Teddy loves to use the "staffing debacle" in the media. Maybe this year the f/as will actually show up for their scheduled shift.

Latest posts