US East to fly PHX-CUN

US Airways (East) has filed with the DOT for authority to fly its own aircraft on the PHX-CUN route. They plan to begin daily A319 service on or about September 6.

AFAIK, this will be the first international route to be flown by the "other" carrier.

The application is available here.

Makes no sense, the etopped 757's are able to cut about 45 minutes off of the flight from phoenix. I flew it on both the 319 and 757 last month, the 757 was much better.

East has a ton more metal serving the Cancun market. My guess is utilization. Although if you look at the pattern so far for every route east takes over a new route is found for west.

45 mins.??? I have flown (Operated and am fully typed in) both the 319 and 757 and they cruise at about the same speed...

0.8 mach????
Because the ETOPs 757 can cut across the water, while the Airbus has to stay close to shore.

I think its a good idea to get DOT approval for as many ac/routes as possible.
This will give Doogie flexibility to rearrange equipment/crews for best utilization.

Because the ETOPs 757 can cut across the water, while the Airbus has to stay close to shore.

I think its a good idea to get DOT approval for as many ac/routes as possible.
This will give Doogie flexibility to rearrange equipment/crews for best utilization.

Many US Airways A319's are EOW. They fly to Aruba from Boston, and there is no shore they fly near to to get there! Why would they have to stick to the shore here?

did anyone ever think that maybe they want to use the a319's for the off peak season and since the phx base does not have eow 319's and the east bases do, then why not use an eow 319 for the route?

Many US Airways A319's are EOW. They fly to Aruba from Boston, and there is no shore they fly near to to get there! Why would they have to stick to the shore here?
They wouldn't.
But HPs do.
HPearlyretiree is speaking of the difference between an HP ETOPs 757 and an HP Airbus, which are not ETOPs.
Get your map out and look at the route from PHX to CUN.
We're not talking about BOS to Aruba.