US IAM Mech. Labor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NORTHWEST-DELTA MERGER ENDS MECHANICS UNION

Mechanics at the former Northwest Airlines will work in a union-free shop now that the airline has merged with Delta Air Lines Inc. The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the National Mediation Board has agreed to a request by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, which represents Northwest mechanics, to end its union designation. The union told its members in a letter that a recent authorization card campaign showed that “interest has come short of the required number neededâ€￾ to file for a representation vote. There are less than 1,000 mechanics from Northwest, versus the 5,700 non-unionized mechanics at Delta. Northwest’s mechanics union has been trying to recover for years after an unsuccessful strike in 2005.

Source: Memphis Business Journal, Feb. 23

NORTHWEST-DELTA MERGER ENDS MECHANICS UNION

Mechanics at the former Northwest Airlines will work in a union-free shop now that the airline has merged with Delta Air Lines Inc. The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the National Mediation Board has agreed to a request by the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, which represents Northwest mechanics, to end its union designation. The union told its members in a letter that a recent authorization card campaign showed that “interest has come short of the required number neededâ€￾ to file for a representation vote. There are less than 1,000 mechanics from Northwest, versus the 5,700 non-unionized mechanics at Delta. Northwest’s mechanics union has been trying to recover for years after an unsuccessful strike in 2005.

Source: Memphis Business Journal, Feb. 23

The leadership at amfa completely SCREWED their members by leading them out on strike into a battle they knew could not be won. I am so glad that the usair mechanics never got enough votes for this fly by night union to represent us.
Sure, I was upset and disappointed with the IAM when we went thru our bankruptcys, but in the long run I am glad we had them to represent us. We are in way better shape than many of the major airline mechanics than I would have expected, especially considering whats going on in todays economy.
A large majority of mechanics who left under the voluntary seperation in April of 2005, wish they could go back in time and still be employed by Usairways.
I will admit, that as bad as it got, I am gald I stayed.

The leadership at amfa completely SCREWED their members by leading them out on strike into a battle they knew could not be won. I am so glad that the usair mechanics never got enough votes for this fly by night union to represent us.
Sure, I was upset and disappointed with the IAM when we went thru our bankruptcys, but in the long run I am glad we had them to represent us. We are in way better shape than many of the major airline mechanics than I would have expected, especially considering whats going on in todays economy.
A large majority of mechanics who left under the voluntary seperation in April of 2005, wish they could go back in time and still be employed by Usairways.
I will admit, that as bad as it got, I am gald I stayed.
More than the strike, was the Scope language that was given up. This was at two of the largest Cariers that over hauled everything. The mechanics got the money ,but lost the work. That in turn killed usAir in the over haul business. The guys who left in April 2005, must have been junior. To want to come back to this contract ? A senior guy has no future with this POS. I have no idea what keeps a junior person here. Other than the last 12 months , and the fact that you have a job. :down:

What is up with all the lateral bids in PIT?. There are mechanics that want to get home to PIT and you inconsiderate
holes are bidding from department to department.

Sorry Moderator, but I had to vent.

What is up with all the lateral bids in PIT?. There are mechanics that want to get home to PIT and you inconsiderate

Great, truthful post. Sorry the truth had to be "moderated".

But try telling that to all the "one way" pukes around here that work all the overtime under the guise that "those guys are gone and they are never coming back".

What was told to me by your "brothers" down at 5 is, and I almost quote, they were going to bid all those jobs(some 35 as rumor had it) 3 and 4 at a time so the people in PHL and CLT don't try to come back in droves.

I heard it with my own ears.

I see things in the "burgh" haven't changed. Back in 81 myself and every other probie was laid off when PATCO went on strike. Do you know how the company made up for the loss of manpower? OVERTIME. And my union brothers gladly worked it. Kept some of us on the street for 18 months.

Question for all you in MX at US

How many (active not furloughed) mechanics does US currently employ?

What are your MX stations? (I'm looking for stations with at least 300+ mechs)

This includes ALL mechanics, aircraft, plant maintenance, GSE, etc.

Thanks in advance

TSH

:eek: It's called seniority. For better shift/ days off, and if leaving plant mtc, for licence pay. It is what it is. The POS contract was voted in. They saved jobs (and dues). Just didn't let you know what station you could hold !

Sad but true.....this is IAM - AS VOTED IN BY THE MEMBERSHIP. Don't be so surprised when you pointy end of the stick. Sure seems the more things change they more they stay the same.

The guys who left in April 2005, must have been junior. To want to come back to this contract ? A senior guy has no future with this POS. . :down:

Old Guy:

Myself and quite a few others who had around eighteen years service decided 3-5-2005 that we had enough and left.

There are other places to work besides UAir.

File for your PBGC pension before Obama takes the money and go do something else.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Very true statement, indeed. I never could understand the "geriatrics" crowd we have around here.

That date of 3-5-2005 sounds very infamous. I think that is the date that the company, in its infinite wisdom, decided that we no longer need career oriented utility people, and let them go.

The planes have never looked worse since that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.