US Kiosk

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Hi all. I had my first flight on US today via PIT on express (republic). Also first time on an E70. Crew was nice, we left on-time, and i liked the E70.

My only complaint is the kiosk. I found the user experience to be quite complex. I swiped my card expecting it to immediately go to my reservation - several swipes later with no results - i realized i had to press the screen to get to a screen that i could then swipe. Not very intuitive! Why would you add a step?!

Once in, i found it confusing to navigate through to pick my seat and actually get the ticket printed. The button "confirm" i finally figured out got me to the next screen. How about simply using "next"??

Not to pile on but come to think of it, the website user experience was bad too. There's not prominent or clear way to get to your itinerary. How about a link called, um itinerary?

Aside from these two consumer "touch points", i had a positive experience.

The "West" kiosks say continue instead of confirm. That will be a little better. The first screen has a couple of choices for getting to the rez. You can use your record locator, phone number, credit card or frequent flyer card, but you'll still have to select which one I believe. Also no option to type in your name and flight info. Also, the new kiosk will allow excess baggage to be checked and charged at the kiosk. Only problem (our instructor advised us to be on the lookout for) is that it gives everyone in the record the option for checking 0-4 bags which means that dad is gonna just hit he has 4 bags for the family, when he is allowed 2 and mom is allowed 2 and its going to try to charge for the 2 extra bags. Wish it had a spot for 2 bags per person with a note saying if you have more than the number of bags allotted, you can check them for a fee if you click here. I can see lots of headaches on this one. Once again, people designing the system who dont actually have to put up with this on a daily basis.
I can see lots of "qik fixes" and other suggestions for changes will be heading to the IT dept shortly after cutover. Lets hope they are as quick to change things after cutover as they have been to implement them in the past. (And that they actually listen to things that make it easier for the customer and us on the front line that dont have anything to do with $$$)