Us Refuses To Make Good On My Ticket

JS

Veteran
Aug 24, 2002
DFW
Visit site
As I wrote in another thread, on a recent trip I was stranded in PIT because my inbound flight was two hours late and I missed the last connecting flight to DUJ.

I asked for a RTFC voucher so I could re-book the trip for a later date rather than dealing with a refund (trip in vain). I was going to leave the next day, so re-booking for the next day would be pointless unless I were to fly out and back 10 minutes later on the same airplane, which wouldn't make any sense (not to mention impossible with checked luggage).

Trying to use the travel voucher now, I just found out that the travel voucher is good only for award ticket seats, which are almost impossible to get.

I have put up with a lot of b.s. from this airline, with its shrinking network, dirty planes, junk fees, labor unrest, lost bags (my bag was lost for a day on this trip), but I want to give US Airways a chance to keep my business.

However, one thing I refuse to give away is the basic purpose of buying an airline ticket, which is transportation to your destination.

I don't want 10,000 frequent flyer miles or $200 off (DUJ is pretty expensive!). I just want what I paid for!

Now, before some of you say "Who cares, we're getting big pay cuts", my situation is more like you getting a paycheck this week that reflects a cut US already decided to make last week and didn't tell you.

Employees know how much they're going to be paid for this week and expect to be paid that much. Passengers know how much they paid for a ticket and expect to be transported to their destination; if not today because of irregular operations, then eventually, but not never.

Reversing the charges is not what US Airways needs right now, but it looks like I have no choice. :angry:

You are on a board frequented by employees/former employees that have lost jobs, pensions, medical coverage, 20 to 50% in salaries etc by a Company that no longer respects hard working people. I could be wrong, but I do not believe that you will find much sympathy about your Christmas ordeal. Many of these folks have been harmed far greater than you.

A Company that treats employees this way cannot survive for much longer.

If this Company doesn't care about its lifeblood (its employees), why would you be surprised that they don't care about you?

Your mistake was asking for an RTFC ..a trip in vain refund would have suited you better because it gives your future flt at the price you paid for the ticket that is being refunded.As long as you are going the same city pairs of course ....

So this time its your fault...maybe what you need to do is call consumer affairs and tell them what happen and tell them you made a mistake in asking for a rtfc could they reverse it and do the trip in vain anyway...

Fatherknowsbest said:
You are on a board frequented by employees/former employees that have lost jobs, pensions, medical coverage, 20 to 50% in salaries etc by a Company that no longer respects hard working people. I could be wrong, but I do not believe that you will find much sympathy about your Christmas ordeal. Many of these folks have been harmed far greater than you.
A Company that treats employees this way cannot survive for much longer.
If this Company doesn't care about its lifeblood (its employees), why would you be surprised that they don't care about you?
[post="236553"][/post]​

I realize that. I could have asked my question on FlyerTalk, which is a board frequented by passengers. I asked here because I thought an employee might have a better suggestion other than your non-answer. On FlyerTalk the typical response is "Do a search!" or "Keep calling back" or some kind of fraudulent FF mileage scheme.

JS said:
As I wrote in another thread, on a recent trip I was stranded in PIT because my inbound flight was two hours late and I missed the last connecting flight to DUJ.

I asked for a RTFC voucher so I could re-book the trip for a later date rather than dealing with a refund (trip in vain). I was going to leave the next day, so re-booking for the next day would be pointless unless I were to fly out and back 10 minutes later on the same airplane, which wouldn't make any sense (not to mention impossible with checked luggage).

Trying to use the travel voucher now, I just found out that the travel voucher is good only for award ticket seats, which are almost impossible to get.

I have put up with a lot of b.s. from this airline, with its shrinking network, dirty planes, junk fees, labor unrest, lost bags (my bag was lost for a day on this trip), but I want to give US Airways a chance to keep my business.

However, one thing I refuse to give away is the basic purpose of buying an airline ticket, which is transportation to your destination.

I don't want 10,000 frequent flyer miles or $200 off (DUJ is pretty expensive!). I just want what I paid for!

Now, before some of you say "Who cares, we're getting big pay cuts", my situation is more like you getting a paycheck this week that reflects a cut US already decided to make last week and didn't tell you.

Employees know how much they're going to be paid for this week and expect to be paid that much. Passengers know how much they paid for a ticket and expect to be transported to their destination; if not today because of irregular operations, then eventually, but not never.

Reversing the charges is not what US Airways needs right now, but it looks like I have no choice. :angry:
[post="236549"][/post]​

Why do you expect a company who treats its employees like it does with no respect would treat you the customer any better?

madders said:
Your mistake was asking for an RTFC ..a trip in vain refund would have suited you better because it gives your future flt at the price you paid for the ticket that is being refunded.As long as you are going the same city pairs of course ....

So this time its your fault...maybe what you need to do is call consumer affairs and tell them what happen and tell them you made a mistake in asking for a rtfc could they reverse it and do the trip in vain anyway...
[post="236554"][/post]​

That is a good idea. Thanks!

I agree. A trip in vain is simply getting yo back to your originating point. Because we could not get you to the final destination, you get e refund of the ticket. Never have I suggested more trip in vains than the week of Christmas. In a lot of circumstances it was the only option.

JS -

An an FT'er, you know (since the question has been out there for a good while) that the RTFCs are booked out of inventory similar to FF awards. That's why a lot of folks try to get a voucher for X dollar value instead. So, the RTFC use is going to be tight for some destinations. You just have to find one you want to use. And to suggest that the standard answer on FT is "Do a search," "Call back and get someone else," or a "fraudelent FF scheme" is not accurate. The Do a Search response is to the large volume of "What happens to my ticket/miles if US goes away" (which has been talked to death - and seems to be posted every single day). And I don't know what fraudulent miles scheme your talking about - I don't see it on the US FT forum.

CLTFlyer

To all the U employees who bothered to post "what do you expect when they treat me like....."

There are more than enough threads for you to 8itch and moan about how you're being treated.

But don't take it out on a customer who has a legitimate gripe about the service your company didn't deliver him...

goingboeing said:
Why do you expect a company who treats its employees like it does with no respect would treat you the customer any better?
[post="236557"][/post]​

If the company treats all of you so bad.....look for another job. When I travel on USAir I am sick of scowling flight attendants, grumpy gate agents...etc etc. Once in a while if someone is having a bad day thats fine but this is terminal!! I travel on America West also a company I believe has very similar pay scales and work rules as Airways and 90% of the time they treat me very well. I now have all my people book me away from Airways when possible.

Fatherknowsbest..... to say us doesnt care is a stretch..... just because we are used to being the highest cost per seat mile, doesnt mean we dont have to change.... what this management team is doing, is what wolf and before shouldve done..... this is Buisness 101.... have a cost structure that supports your product youre promoting. Youll agree to disagree, but the bottom line is reality is here, and happening, cant argue with that !

PBRmeASAP said:
If the company treats all of you so bad.....look for another job. When I travel on USAir I am sick of scowling flight attendants, grumpy gate agents...etc etc. Once in a while if someone is having a bad day thats fine but this is terminal!! I travel on America West also a company I believe has very similar pay scales and work rules as Airways and 90% of the time they treat me very well. I now have all my people book me away from Airways when possible.
[post="236681"][/post]​

Yeah, what is wrong with you US employees? I mean it's not like in a couple weeks you all could be out of work possibly homeless with mountains of debt hanging over your heads. It's not like you're desperately trying to come up with another job to pay the rent,put food on the table and forget sending the kids to college, and it's not like you all have just lost most of your pensions. And it's not like you have been abused for years by a bungling management. It's not like you people have taken 45% paycuts or anything over the last 2 years?

Oh, what am I thinking all that either has or is about to happen, PBR your lucky if you even get one kind word out of any of us, we are at the end of a long and painful death. If we are grumpy, too dad gum bad! We have a right to be. Humans can only take so much for so long and we are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update:

I called Consumer Affairs and explained the problem. They offered to exchange the RTFC for a $300 voucher. I have to change my origin (otherwise the fare is $450), but that is OK.

Luckily I have a week before the 14 day advance purchase requirement arrives, and by then I should receive the voucher and can run to the airport for ticketing.

Whew! :)

now be prepared for the $10 fee if you pick up your ticket at the airport counter.

there is no ticketting fee at the ato if you have to use a voucher ,so get your fact straight before you "published" it online

I will have to check on it but I believe the advance ticketing can be waived JS....I will check and pm you soon or pm me and leave a phone number and I will get back to you ASAP